SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2018, 07:35 PM   #1
Mysaturnbeater
Mysaturnbeater has a spectacular aura aboutMysaturnbeater has a spectacular aura aboutMysaturnbeater has a spectacular aura about

Default Recharge my ac

I have a 1998 Saturn SC 1.
I'm looking to recharge my AC. Its not quite cold enough.

Does anyone know the high and low pressure and how many pounds does it use?
R134a Freon.

Thank you

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mysaturnbeater's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mysaturnbeater reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mysaturnbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-2018, 08:50 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Recharge my ac

1.5 lbs or 24 ozs. Before throwing away money to refill..............a leaking system, buy and use an inexpensive uv blacklight (good for any vehicle already having dye in it) to find the source of the leak. All Saturns (and most likely every GM vehicle with r134a systems) have dye already installed at factory assembly to make it easier to find 98% of all vehicle ac problems, the leak no one wants to find and fix but will reach for the refill kits. Sealer will guarantee a more expensive repair.

To prove how stubborn diyers are; http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...10#post2278610

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 12:29 AM   #3
Mysaturnbeater
Mysaturnbeater has a spectacular aura aboutMysaturnbeater has a spectacular aura aboutMysaturnbeater has a spectacular aura about

I had it recharged about 2 yrs ago. And I do have a set of UV lights.
Thanks

What about the high and low pressure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
1.5 lbs or 24 ozs. Before throwing away money to refill..............a leaking system, buy and use an inexpensive uv blacklight (good for any vehicle already having dye in it) to find the source of the leak. All Saturns (and most likely every GM vehicle with r134a systems) have dye already installed at factory assembly to make it easier to find 98% of all vehicle ac problems, the leak no one wants to find and fix but will reach for the refill kits. Sealer will guarantee a more expensive repair.

To prove how stubborn diyers are; http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...10#post2278610

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Mysaturnbeater reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-28-2018, 05:24 AM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Run the engine up to 2k rpm when measuring pressures.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Service Information(2).pdf (41.2 KB, 13 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-28-2018, 05:44 AM   #5
Mysaturnbeater

I plan on buying some dye so that way I can find where the potential leak is coming from first before deciding to recharge the AC system again.

I'll report back

Quote:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-28-2018, 06:22 AM   #6
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Read my first reply again. Dye is in your system and doesn't have a freshness date. There's no need to add dye.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-28-2018, 06:27 AM   #7
Mysaturnbeater

Sorry. I should of been more clear.
I had my AC recharged about 2 to 3 yrs ago from a shop. When I had it recharged, does the shop that recharged my AC system already have dye added from their machine?
Just wanted to be clear.
I'll go ahead and check it with a UV light. Thanks

Quote:
Read my first reply again. Dye is in your system and doesn't have a freshness date. There's no need to add dye.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-28-2018, 10:44 AM   #8
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I'm not a business owner and do not know what repair shops do or not do but my guess is if you didn't ask for dye, they didn't add any. Dye is inexpensive but can be messy for anyone to add into a system. Again, dye is already in your system and does not degrade. It's mixed in with oil and circulates permanently. When refrigerant, oil and dye are released, refrigerant is invisible but oil and dye are not, leaving markers for almost anyone to find. A uv light makes it easier to find leaks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-09-2018, 03:42 PM   #9
boatmoter
boatmoter is on a distinguished road

1993 SL2

remove all freon, evacuate the system and install the amount of freon stated on the radiator support, each can of freon is 12 oz,I forgot how much mine held,it was like 2.5 cans

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to boatmoter's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help boatmoter reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
boatmoter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 05:46 PM   #10
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I don't know if your r12 converted system to r134a uses the same amount but all S-series ac systems havingr134a from the factory have 1.5 lbs or 24 ozs as the amount. Two 12 oz cans.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-12-2018, 01:29 PM   #11
Mysaturnbeater

Thanks

Quote:
I don't know if your r12 converted system to r134a uses the same amount but all S-series ac systems havingr134a from the factory have 1.5 lbs or 24 ozs as the amount. Two 12 oz cans.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!