SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2010, 01:25 PM   #1
93 SL1 Canada
93 SL1 Canada is on a distinguished road

1993 SL1
Default Need good Toronto-area Saturn mechanic

My current mechanic won't talk technical with me. He will not listen to suggestions. If I have a transmission problem, he tells me I should get a new car.

I try to do some work on my own, being unemployed, but the snow and freezing temperatures get in the way.

If anyone out there knows of a scrupulous, knowledgeable Saturn mechanic in the greater Toronto area (Richmond Hill would be perfect), could you please send the contact info.

Thanks!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 93 SL1 Canada's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 93 SL1 Canada reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
93 SL1 Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2010, 02:00 PM   #2
saturnsctwo
Master Member
saturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the rough

2001 SC2
Default Re: Need good Toronto-area Saturn mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93 SL1 Canada View Post
My current mechanic won't talk technical with me. He will not listen to suggestions. If I have a transmission problem, he tells me I should get a new car.

I try to do some work on my own, being unemployed, but the snow and freezing temperatures get in the way.

If anyone out there knows of a scrupulous, knowledgeable Saturn mechanic in the greater Toronto area (Richmond Hill would be perfect), could you please send the contact info.

Thanks!!
there's plenty of saturn mechanics right here on this site. sooner or later someone will ring in, but post your problem first....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnsctwo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnsctwo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnsctwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 02:15 PM   #3
mattelderca
mattelderca will become famous soon enough

1998 SC1
1996 SL

You could try Mike De Groot at De Groots Diagnostic Centre Ltd
4 Falaise Road, Scarborough, ON M1E 3B5 Kingston rd and Morningside, not richmond hill though.
He certified my SL recently on the advice of a very good friend. Honest clean shop nice to talk with. I also have a shop in Whitby I deal with but that might be out of your way.
I don't have much work done by others, I do everything myself. I Only use shops for inspections, drive cleans, and some tire changes. What are your issues? As said people here may be able to help.

2000 SL1 freebie, my sons DD
1998 SC1 still running, FOR SALE cheap!
1996 SL, GONE but not forgotten
2005 Generic Silver Minivan (Kia Sedona)
2009 Nissan Sentra 2.0S

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mattelderca's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mattelderca reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mattelderca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 02:43 PM   #4
93 SL1 Canada

1993 SL1

I've posted the transaxle issue on:

SaturnFans Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
> 93 SL1 Auto transaxle problems: what should I do?]

Here's my plan:

-Get computer code for problem (SAS light comes on).
-Load test battery. It's not old.
-Depending upon what the code is (and assuming battery is good), the alternator is the likely culprit. If so, Replace.
-Oil and filter.
-Tranny fluid and filter.
-Possibly change ECTS and connector.
-Put snow tires on.

The connector for the ECTS is not standard, so it may have already been replaced. But the connector boot seems hardened - I could not remove it - so maybe the contacts are corroded.

If the tranny is still a problem in the spring (when the weather is better!), I plan on replacing the solenoids and maybe the bus plate. These would seem the likeliest suspects.

Thanks!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 93 SL1 Canada reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-06-2010, 02:45 PM   #5
93 SL1 Canada

1993 SL1

BTW, Whitby is not to far.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!