SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech

Old 11-09-2020, 12:56 PM   #21
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 2005 L300 occasionally shifting hard (bad speed sensor?)

There's a political forum here to comment on personal views to leave the rest of Saturnfans free of political comments and signatures.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-2020, 01:35 PM   #22
Rj 2000 LS2
Advanced Member
Rj 2000 LS2 is just really niceRj 2000 LS2 is just really niceRj 2000 LS2 is just really niceRj 2000 LS2 is just really nice

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I love how people make believe that tyrannical actions of one party do not affect every aspect of life in America. I play competitive foosball and I made a few political comments and everyone *****ed... "this is not the place". Well, nearly every competitive event this year has been canceled because of the fake covid BS! Those that ***** "Stay on subject" are part of the problem.

In the same thread, I agreed to a few political comments and then addressed the specific topic of this post. I don't however 2nd the call for BS on this thread. I believe the original poster is truly looking to work out this problem. Problem is, he doesn't seem to listen to the advice by many members saying the same things. This Saturn shifting problem is very cut and dry not so much as this fraudulent election!

People know what they know from listening to ONLY the big broadcast communists media news channels. Those people don't know jack! To NOT allow political speech on all forums is criminal and unconstitutional!
Rj 2000 LS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 06:34 PM   #23
floridasl22002
floridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to behold

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

RJ,

Just so you know, this is a PRIVATE Forum, where your membership is at the pleasure of the Site Owner. US Constitutional rules don't apply. You know that don't you?

As someone who lost a sister to Covid and have two young friends of mine battling it right now, I don't appreciate your ill informed comments about Covid. It is real, it is not fake and it does kill. There are nearly 300,000 Americans who would have probably taken you to task had they not died from Covid. So if you feel the real desire to expound your (real to you) views, I for one would prefer if you would expound them somewhere else. Thank You

I will not be drawn on this any further. I can only trust that the site owner will decide if posts go beyond what are acceptable here.
floridasl22002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 11:56 PM   #24
Rj 2000 LS2
Advanced Member
Rj 2000 LS2 is just really niceRj 2000 LS2 is just really niceRj 2000 LS2 is just really niceRj 2000 LS2 is just really nice

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Covid is a bio weapon created in China. Did your sister die from covid alone? I know it is a sensitive and personal subject for anyone effected. You don't know what I know or how I feel about it. It is a Plandemic and lives were lost due to it. Any lives lost are one too many! But, the mass media coverage on this is fake. I could give you a dozen examples, but that won't bring your sister back nor would you listen to what I have to say. So I will not continue at your request. If you are interested, this is what I know: https://www.minds.com/beyondharvestveganistas/
Old 10-16-2021, 08:17 PM   #25
Krakyll
Krakyll is on a distinguished road

2005 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Alright, I have absolutely no idea what's going on.

It's been a while. Where the politics is coming in on this and accusing me of... B.S.? If it wasn't clear from the beginning, I'm not exactly experienced. Rereading things now, I understand the most likely cause to be the pressure solenoid. Why all of this started an uproar, I have no idea. I suppose because I can't read.

This all happened when the problem was brand new. I'm still very new to the automotive world. I will eventually be comfortable enough to do that job. For now, I'm debating if it's even worth it, being that my dad who owned the car before never had the transmission fluid flushed at 60,000. I really don't know how long it's going to survive on that fact alone. I would either have to save the old fluid when it's drained and hope to God nothing got in the fluid that would tear it apart, or I can pray that it'll accept brand new fluid. At 116,000 miles, I'm pretty doubtful.

Thank you for the help-- those of you who did. I think this is the last time I'll be using these forums, since I've pretty much just been asked to leave at this point.
Krakyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 10:04 AM   #26
Rj 2000 LS2
Advanced Member

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I'd like to stress the fact that the code will fire if the car is driven a certain way. I know this for a fact because it happens to our L300 Saturn like clock work.

This is the scenario. When you drive light on the gas pedal accelerating to a certain speed and the shift takes too long to occur, the code will fire.

This is not a myth, it is how it works. I know it is an electronic sensor, and a sensor is normal working or broken but not normally something in between. All electronic component have tolerances. The code is not fired because the sensor is defective, it is fired because the shift took too long to occur i.e. how you drive. I know this is factually correct because I can make the code fire on demand. We know our Saturn well.
Old 10-17-2021, 12:05 PM   #27
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Krakyll, this thread was started last year in October 2020 without any resolution, several opinions including political statements having nothing to do with automatic shift problems in your L300. I believe a member has replied in my defense possibly due to misinterpreting my replies using a harsh term. A separate political reply is simply someone going off topic and contributing nothing to help, suggest or answer your questions. As you can see, public forums can be rife with off the wall comments unrelated to a topic. In this thread about random hard shifts in electronically controlled automatic xmissions, how to interpret symptoms with or without error codes can be a guessing game. I think wrench error codes remain in memory after the wrench light self extinguishes. I pulled wrench codes after the wrench light turned off.

Ignoring political statements wittles down replies to a few answers related to xmission issues. It's safe to say there are millions of electronically controlled xmissions with a history of symptoms, error codes, diagnosing and troubleshooting found in service manuals, online forums and YouTube videos for information. Please don't be discouraged from the few throwing harsh words related or unrelated to this thread or any thread you may come across as you try determining a solution. You've had a year to find, borrow or buy a reader capable of decoding generic engine light (service engine soon/SES, malfunction light/MAL, etc) codes and/or (in your case) wrench light (wrench symbol) code(s).

First generation generic code readers for diyers decoded emissions related error codes with a 'P' prefix followed by four numbers. Lower numbered codes like P0300 engine misfire. Higher numbered may or may not be decoded but since 1996 when OBDII was established, second, third and fourth gen readers became available as costs came down. Improvements in readers and demand for them brought better ones to decode abs errors and specific manufacturers error codes unrelated to emissions errors. Two readers were mentioned as examples for relatively low cost. Manufacturers specific error codes would be xmission, body control module and chassis. These codes are separate from universal emissions codes and forces aftermarket more expensive readers since one reader for Ford cannot decode GM specific error codes and vice versa. Wrench light indicator are manufacturer specific codes requiring a reader specifying ability to decode a GM, Ford, or other manufacturer's codes. This is the main problem when an error light turns on ( abs, wrench or high numbered P codes). It may be hit or miss trying a free reading from AutoZone, Advance Auto or any auto parts store offering free readings.

At the least, try free readings. My aftermarket scantool pulls stored history codes from the wrench light long after the wrench light reset on its own with the same or similar xmission hard shift symptoms. An intermittent pressure control solenoid issue. My random hard shifts occur whether on a grocery run or long drive (40+ miles). If not pressed to get to a destination, I'll stop to let the xmission solenoids cool down by shutting off the engine and use the down time surfing on my tablet before restarting with the wrench light resetting to continue. This occurs infrequently and not enough to justify a major repair yet.

GM service manuals don't mention any pressure sensors for automatic xmissions. If I'm not mistaken, software time and speed based algorithms determines when a gear shift occurs with a xmission speed sensor. When it takes longer for a shift to occur, triggers an error code.

Last edited by fdryer; 10-17-2021 at 12:12 PM.
Old 10-17-2021, 05:29 PM   #28
Rj 2000 LS2
Advanced Member

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

FDryer, you are not the arbitrager of fact and the only person talking about politics is you! The information I proved is sound whether you understand it or not. I am simply trying to help a person in need while you are providing amble diversions from fact! Theory belongs in the classroom not in reality because the two are often very much different.
Old 10-17-2021, 09:27 PM   #29
02 LW300
Advanced Member
02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Really? Is this where we are here? No drama at the Saturn Forum. Derf and I will not allow it.
2002 L200/5 Loaded, over 1/4 million miles!
02 LW300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 11:16 PM   #30
Rj 2000 LS2
Advanced Member

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Not unless you are afraid of facts and truth!
Old 10-17-2021, 11:25 PM   #31
Rj 2000 LS2
Advanced Member

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

This site is full of hypersensitivity. Why Dryer would reiterate and reactivate political speak from a year ago when it was clearly harmless? But, now that he brought it up... it's a crime.
Old 10-18-2021, 03:48 PM   #32
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Let's see now. According to this thread's timeline, Krakyll started last October 24, 2020. It's coming up to a year since with zero results. I put a reference to a timeline as a way to point out more than sufficient time to visit any auto store for a free reading of stored error codes. In this case, wrench codes going away are likely to be retained in historical memory of which better readers or scantools like the two already mentioned are capable of retrieving if store readers cannot.

I pointed out unwanted political statements, once directly in one reply to steer political comments to another forum and a second suggestion only as reference to ignore it as it has zero pertinence to the question while prompting self doubt on a new member possibly feeling attacked for no reason. I suggested to Krakyll, directly, to ignore politics and be assured that more members are willing to help without adding their personal politics into their replies. I have not made any personal political comments except as a general suggestion to leave it out. If anyone is hypersensitive, recent replies points to one or two that are the sensitive ones.
Old 10-18-2021, 06:44 PM   #33
Rj 2000 LS2
Advanced Member

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Fdryer, YOU are the person who brought up politics after nearly a year, not me! IT was almost a year since I made a political comment beneath another person's political comment. You Sir, after nearly a year, YOU, reiterated the political comments that were long gone. You sir, brought it up politics by reinterating your feelings about politics in this forum! You did this to provoke a response from me!

I have NOT spoken about politics in this thread until you provoked me. You know how you do it... for example, "Rj, despite you being pretty stupid, you might have a point there". That's how you speak to people on this board who you disagree with. I'll call it a lack of character and when you are called on it... your the sweetest person in the world. I know better!

I have specially explained what is going on with this man's saturn and he can learn to drive around the problem or dive into a large project to replace the transmission solenoids. You are 100 percent incorrect when you say it doesn't matter how you drive.

Shifting is monitored via a timer, when the timer expires... the wrench light is fired. If you drive slow, aggressive or punch it to the flood... it matters and the wrench light will and won't light up in certain circumstances.
Old 10-21-2021, 11:24 AM   #34
Rj 2000 LS2
Advanced Member

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I'd like to include the timer takes into consideration the RPMs. When the timer expires and have RPMs have reached a certain threshold without shifting, the wrench light is turned ON. To reset, park, shut off engine and remove key for at least 10 or more second. Restart the engine and the wrench light will be off until the criteria occurs again to turn ON the wrench light.

We continue to drive our Saturn with this exact problem. However, as long as we drive a certain way... the wrench light doesn't come ON. We have been "driving around" this problem for over 7 years. Some day, I will replace the shift solenoids and we won't need to drive around this problem.

As long as you immediately reset the wrench light and not drive with it ON... the problem is mute. If you do drive with the wrench light ON, you could do damage to the transmission due to very hard shifts.