SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-29-2005, 09:12 AM   #1
stormcrow
stormcrow is on a distinguished road

Default Headlights (How do I turn the darn things off)

2005 Vue. I know its a GM under it all, so couldn't they have put a dome override switch like the wife's Tahoe has? Even my dealer didn't know how to turn them off. Marine guards at the military bases down here don't like it when you try to drive through the gate with the lights on. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Last edited by stormcrow; 04-29-2005 at 09:14 AM.. Reason: spelling

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to stormcrow's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help stormcrow reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2005, 09:44 AM   #2
Spazie
Master Member
Spazie will become famous soon enough

1993 SC2
1999 SL2
Default Re: Headlights (How do I turn the darn things off)

Pull the DRL fuse. That way you can click it to the parking lights position and the headlights will go out, leaving just your sidemarker lights.

13 Chevy Equinox, 46k, built in Spring Hill!
04 VUE 3.5, 196k
99 SL2 Homecoming, 211k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Spazie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Spazie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-29-2005, 10:21 AM   #3
OhioVueBoy
Master Member
OhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura about

2002 VUE 2.2L

How about *don't* pull the DRL fuse... they are a viable piece of safety equipment.
There is really nothing you can do about this, to be honest. Bases should be used to this by now... many cars have them and are un-defeatable. IMO, pulling the DRL fuse is irresponsible.
~D.J.~

2012 Mercedes Benz C250 Sport Sedan
2008 smart fortwo Passion Coupe 8/28/2008 - 3/12/2012
2002 VUE FWD4m - Gone but not forgotten. 5/14/2002 - 10/31/2011

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OhioVueBoy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OhioVueBoy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-29-2005, 10:30 AM   #4
scotted73
Advanced Member
scotted73 is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR
2002 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormcrow
2005 Vue. I know its a GM under it all, so couldn't they have put a dome override switch like the wife's Tahoe has? Even my dealer didn't know how to turn them off. Marine guards at the military bases down here don't like it when you try to drive through the gate with the lights on. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Ever since the first DRL enabled vehicles were made, messages have been sent out to Military Base Security to inform them of the new safety feature.

Either the info is not being passed on or they have forgotten about it.
Just switch your lights to parking and that should dim them a little.
They'll just have to get used to it and read up on message traffic.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to scotted73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help scotted73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-29-2005, 10:35 AM   #5
Spazie
Master Member

1993 SC2
1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioVueBoy
How about *don't* pull the DRL fuse... they are a viable piece of safety equipment.
There is really nothing you can do about this, to be honest. Bases should be used to this by now... many cars have them and are un-defeatable. IMO, pulling the DRL fuse is irresponsible.
~D.J.~
Not if you turn your lights on when you choose to. I don't like not having control of when my headlights are on. Especially when trying to pull into a driveway and not flash the headlights across someone's window in the middle of the night, or when pulling on to a military base. I drive with my parking lights on at all times in my SC2, and in the VUE I usually drive with both the headlights and foglights on, but I'm the one that controls that, not the car. There's nothing irresponsible about being able to control your own headlights.

04 VUE 3.5, 196k
99 SL2 Homecoming, 211k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Spazie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-29-2005, 10:41 AM   #6
saturncanuck
saturncanuck is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2006 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:

Thanks
Go through the gate with your parking brake on.. that defeats the DRLs. I agree with not pulling the fuse -- you could do damage to some other part of the car....

Or, trade it for an ION 3 that does have a kill switch.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturncanuck's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturncanuck reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-29-2005, 10:45 AM   #7
Spazie
Master Member

1993 SC2
1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturncanuck
I agree with not pulling the fuse -- you could do damage to some other part of the car....
The VUE's DRL fuse was removed a couple months after it was bought, so it's been out almost a year and hasn't had any adverse effects on anything.

04 VUE 3.5, 196k
99 SL2 Homecoming, 211k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-29-2005, 12:48 PM   #8
VUEnumber1
Advanced Member
VUEnumber1 will become famous soon enough

2007 VUE 3.5L
2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazie
...I drive with my parking lights on at all times in my SC2...
You drive with your parking lights on? That's illegal in California.

Parking lights are for when you're parked. They can create depth perception problems if they're the only lights on when a vehicle is moving. A Google search turns up a mess of articles on the subject.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VUEnumber1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VUEnumber1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-29-2005, 10:42 PM   #9
Ghostrider
Advanced Member
Ghostrider is on a distinguished road

Just solder a toggle switch with an inline fuse in place of the original fuse and mount it in the dash or console. Just flip it off to kill the DRLs, and switch to parking lights to defeat the auto headlights. Same effect as pulling the fuse, but you get to choose when and where. Better yet would be to take a fuse and tinker with it to add the wiring, fuse, switch, and clip the internal metal. Then you could just plug it in place of the original fuse instead of messing with vehicle wiring and/or the fusebox.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ghostrider's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ghostrider reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-30-2005, 11:16 AM   #10
cad_man
cad_man is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

VUEnumber1,
The law in California has been modified on the use of parking lights. A few years ago GM started using Parking lights as DRL's on some models of their cars. There was some controversy in California about how the turn signals interacted with the DRL's. GM modified the parking light/turn/DRL circuit to satisfy the California restriction. There are a few Buicks and Pontiacs that still use the parking lights as DRL's. I'm not sure if Chevy is using parking lights as DRL's but I think there is one Saturn model that is.

cad_man (Former resident of California)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cad_man's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cad_man reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-30-2005, 11:55 AM   #11
Spazie
Master Member

1993 SC2
1999 SL2

The ION QC uses parking light DRLs.

I have pop-up style headlights, and I think my car looks dorky with them up, so I only turn on the headlights when it starts getting dark out. I figure the parking lights are better than no lights at all, therefore I drive with the parking lights on. In my old SL1, I drove with the headlights on.

04 VUE 3.5, 196k
99 SL2 Homecoming, 211k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-30-2005, 12:27 PM   #12
scotted73
Advanced Member
scotted73 is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR
2002 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

The Canadian versian of the '96 SC2 used the front turn signals as DRLs and the current Relay along with the other CSVs use the front turn signal as DRLs. There are a number of GM vehicles that use the turn signals as DRLs.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to scotted73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help scotted73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-30-2005, 12:40 PM   #13
SLAPSHOT
Advanced Member
SLAPSHOT is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Marine guards at the military bases
There's your problem.

//SLAPSHOT//
05 VUE 2.2L 5 Speed

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SLAPSHOT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SLAPSHOT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-30-2005, 12:47 PM   #14
cdp326
Master Member
cdp326 is on a distinguished road

Doesn't the ION sedan use turn signal DRL's, too? My grandma's 2003 does, did they change it or something?

Caddy CTS and the Corvette use turn signal DRL's, too, IIRC.

"It's a car. We've invented the Pontiac Aztek."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cdp326's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cdp326 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-01-2005, 12:36 PM   #15
VUEnumber1
Advanced Member
VUEnumber1 will become famous soon enough

2007 VUE 3.5L
2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by cad_man
VUEnumber1,
The law in California has been modified on the use of parking lights. A few years ago GM started using Parking lights as DRL's on some models of their cars. There was some controversy in California about how the turn signals interacted with the DRL's. GM modified the parking light/turn/DRL circuit to satisfy the California restriction. There are a few Buicks and Pontiacs that still use the parking lights as DRL's. I'm not sure if Chevy is using parking lights as DRL's but I think there is one Saturn model that is.

cad_man (Former resident of California)
I'm guessing that was around 1993 when the new Camaros and Firebirds started using brighter parking lights as DRLs. If you think about it when you notice a car driving with regular parking lights on, you really can tell the speed/distance perception is off, especially in twilight before the hour of the day that headlights are required.

Spazie-
Even though you figure it's better than no lights, it's unsafe to drive with regular parking lights on unless they're designed to be DRLs. As I mentioned and have read in several places, they tend to distort the other drivers' perception of your speed and distance especially if most other cars are using headlights. You might want check the laws in your state. If some moron crashes into you and you're driving illegally with just parking lights on, guess who gets busted?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VUEnumber1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VUEnumber1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-01-2005, 01:21 PM   #16
cad_man
cad_man is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

VUEnumber1,
Where are you located in San Jose, Our house was in the Robertsville area close to Almaden Expressway and Branham Lane. We moved to Wyoming September of 2004.

cad_man

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cad_man's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cad_man reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-01-2005, 01:45 PM   #17
monantony
monantony is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioVueBoy
~D.J.~
eh
its just DRL's for chrissakes....I wonder how we all survived back when we didnt have them

Face it, I think most people would at least want to be able to turn them off at some point. Blinding patrons when pulling into parking spots is one of them, another is sitting in the car ,engine on , doing whatever w/o telling the world your parked there.
T

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to monantony's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help monantony reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-01-2005, 09:11 PM   #18
cgavula
cgavula is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L

There was a Canadian study a few years back (DRLs were required there earlier than their general use in the U.S.). The study showed that DRLS reduced the accident rate (and increased vehicle visibility) by somthing like 25-30%. Nowadays many insurance companies make assumptions that they are there when determining the rates on particular vehicles. Like any safety feature - if you disable them and the insruance company finds out, they can deny a claim and in some states you may be in violation of the law by doing so.

--Chris

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cgavula's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cgavula reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-02-2005, 07:40 AM   #19
Spazie
Master Member

1993 SC2
1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by VUEnumber1
Spazie-
Even though you figure it's better than no lights, it's unsafe to drive with regular parking lights on unless they're designed to be DRLs. As I mentioned and have read in several places, they tend to distort the other drivers' perception of your speed and distance especially if most other cars are using headlights. You might want check the laws in your state. If some moron crashes into you and you're driving illegally with just parking lights on, guess who gets busted?

Ohio's law states that headlights must be turned on one hour prior to sunset until one hour after sunrise. DRLs are not required, and driving with parking lights on is 100% legal.

And stupid enough, driving with just fog lights on at night is considered legal as well, because they're also considered 'headlights' if you've got your parking lights on.

Since most parking light DRLs aren't any brighter than normal parking lights, so I don't see where you get this idea that driving with parking lights on is any different than driving a car that comes factory with parking light DRLs. If it was really that much of a safety hazard, car manufacturers wouldn't produce cars with parking light DRLs, simple as that.

You keep talking about "reading somewhere" that it's more dangerous ... post a link to the article already, and I'll decide for myself if I believe it's from a reputable source.

04 VUE 3.5, 196k
99 SL2 Homecoming, 211k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-02-2005, 08:41 AM   #20
jman
jman is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by monantony
eh
its just DRL's for chrissakes....I wonder how we all survived back when we didnt have them

Face it, I think most people would at least want to be able to turn them off at some point. Blinding patrons when pulling into parking spots is one of them, another is sitting in the car ,engine on , doing whatever w/o telling the world your parked there.
T
Monantony, have you picked up that old stalking habit again? lol JK.

I am all for DRL as it seems there is always atleast one moron on the road that these automatic features make just a bit safer. After all I am sure even the best of us forget our lights once in a while, even if only for the first 100 feet out of the parkinglot. DRL could save your ass, and pulling the fuse will only make you kick yourself. I think a switch that functions the reverse of the fog lights would be ideal. Meaning, you hit the switch to kill the lights, but the next time you start your vehicle the switch defaults to On. This way you can't forget that you set the kill switch.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread