SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2008, 10:22 PM   #1
2000_SL2
2000_SL2 is on a distinguished road

Default 2000 SL2 Doesn't Start

We just got back from a week vacation and my daughter's 2000 SL2 was dead. Tried jump starting with no luck. Fuel gage registered empty but when we filled with gas cans, only had put in 8 gallons and tank was full. Sprayed with starter fluid and still wouldn't start. Car worked as advertised prior to going on vacation. Any thoughts? Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2000_SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2000_SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2000_SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-2008, 11:11 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 2000 SL2 Doesn't Start

Try the ignition/spark test; remove the coil wires, noting the firing order, and have someone crank the engine while you look for sparking across the coil towers. The lack of sparks will be due to a dead crank position sensor (CPS) as well as a remote possibility of an ignition module failure. The cps is more likely the failure as this fails more often than the ignition module. The cps is located above and behind the the starter and mounted with one 10mm bolt. Buy it from any auto store stocking it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 11:18 PM   #3
Cheyne
Cheyne will become famous soon enough

2000 SL2

Has the ECTS been replaced? If not, then yours is resin tipped and has likely cracked. The newer one is a brass design.

See this link on ECTS:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JC0U53w_Htk

Also, +1^^^ on checking for spark.

See this link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUMGFnK29B8

Post back your results and welcome to the forums!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cheyne's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cheyne reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cheyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 05:21 PM   #4
2000_SL2

Thanks to both of you for the replies. I am getting ready to go out and try the CPS check. I also noticed when i turned the key on i didn't hear the fuel pump at all. I don't have any type of security system installed on it but I have read that sometimes the fuel pump will be deactivated if the security system is activated...have you heard of this happening?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 2000_SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-29-2008, 05:33 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Check all the fuses. The fuel pump has its own separate fuse and relay that can be replaced. Factory anti-theft systems disable the fuel pump from running during the starting sequence as part of GM's Passlock vehicle anti-theft system. Do you have remote key lock/unlock? And a security icon to inform you that its ON? It works very well when I mess with mine.

Well, if you're certain that you cannot hear/feel the slight hum/hiss of the fuel pump running for 2-3 seconds when the ignition key is left in the ON/RUN position, then there may be other issues. You'll only hear the faint hum/hiss of the fuel pump running for only 2-3 seconds when the ignition key is turned to the ON/RUN position before it shuts off, as a safety feature. You can cycle the ignition as many times to listen for the pump but you may have to wait 30-seconds between ignition ON cycles. Another way to tell if fuel is pressurized from the brief pump run is to locate the fuel rail test valve resembling the tire valve; remove the cap and cover the valve with a rag while simultaneously pressing the valve stem down. You're expecting a healthy spray of fuel to come out. This verifies that the pump runs and pressurizes the fuel lines to make fuel available to the injectors. Its the poor mans fuel pressure test unless you have a fuel pressure gauge to measure pressures but a healthy spray of fuel is sufficient to know that fuel and pressure is available to the injectors.

Last edited by fdryer; 12-29-2008 at 05:43 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-29-2008, 05:54 PM   #6
2000_SL2

Thumbs Up Re: 2000 SL2 Doesn't Start

just did the spark test and no spark. off to get a CPS, thanks again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-29-2008, 06:05 PM   #7
Cheyne

2000 SL2

Here's a link that may help. I did not remove the starter. You can just reach over the top of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVTFFOwqNZM

Make absolutely sure that you get the cps properly seated or you'll be back under there doing it again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Cheyne reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-29-2008, 06:16 PM   #8
2000_SL2

does 139.00 sound right for the price?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-29-2008, 06:22 PM   #9
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2

$13.90 is kinda high, I think I paid $10 for my CPS. $139 sounds about right for a starter, and kinda low for a fuel pump.

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 06:25 PM   #10
Cheyne

2000 SL2

139.00 ???

I paid around $15 for mine at Auto Zone.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-29-2008, 06:33 PM   #11
2000_SL2

i think the guy i talked to at autozone was smoking something then. I am headed to take the CPS out and get a new one. I will let you know the results.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-29-2008, 07:01 PM   #12
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

$15-$19 as listed in rockauto.com's site. Maybe Autozone meant $13.90.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!