SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech

Old 06-15-2022, 10:52 PM   #1
PatrickION3
PatrickION3 is on a distinguished road

Wrench 2006 Ion 3 transmission control module issues(?)

06 Ion 3 2.2 ltr

Initially I got a p0700 code and it felt like the transmission was slipping, I heard clunk like three or four times before I finally got it to auto zone. At that point, I did some research on the p0700 code and found out that it could be a transmission control module issue. And so I went inside and ordered what I thought was a new transmission control module however it was a refurbished / remanufactured module.

At the time I didn't know it because they didn't mention it either, but it needs to be programmed before you put it in your car. As I had disconnected the battery and then disconnected the computer and the transmission control module because they needed the VIN number and also the service number on the transmission control module itself to order the replacement part, when I put everything back together the car was running fine again. Since then I've noticed that sometimes when I'm going 50 miles an hour I'll continue going 50 miles an hour but the needle will drop to 40 and then pop back up to 50 at first.

This happens randomly probably about 10 to 15 minutes apart from what I can tell. See video if it uploads.
https://youtube.com/shorts/NDfWtx3Wo-M?feature=share
Anyways I'm pretty sure it's probably the transmission control module I'm just trying to find out after I purchase it where do I get it programmed, will the dealership program a remanufactured purchased somewhere else or do I have to buy one from the dealership? which I'm sure will cost me out the Yang Yang.

Any and all help is appreciated 👍
PatrickION3 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-2022, 09:55 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 2006 Ion 3 transmission control module issues(?)

P0700 is a general alarm code related to xmission control module outputting one or more error codes from either a tcm or xmission issue. Transmission control modules are usually reliable with few exceptions. Since virtually all USA automatics are electronically controlled, TCMS are the xmission computers controlling the shift solenoids in autos. Feedback signals from shift solenoids, temperature sensor, speed sensor and other xmission sensors tells the tcm what's going on. When P0700 occurs, there should be other codes but may not be decoded by generic readers. Either GMs scantool or better aftermarket scantools are needed to decode GMs codes. In general, four code prefixes are; P (powertrain), C (chassis), B (body), and U (network). Many P codes aren't decoded by regular readers while the other codes require better readers.

Which xmission do you have?

1-AF23-5 5-speed automatic. Usually trouble free.

2-VT25-E Continuously Variable Transmission. The CVTs are problematic.

Saturn Vues with CVTs failed outright from extremely poor design and reliability. Vue CVTs had a two year run then GM quietly discontinued it. Vue forums are littered with cvt horror stories.

If yours is an AF23-5 speed auto then there may be shift solenoid issues that can be addressed.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 04:37 PM   #3
Bill Murray
Master Member
Bill Murray is a jewel in the roughBill Murray is a jewel in the roughBill Murray is a jewel in the roughBill Murray is a jewel in the rough

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe
1997 SC1

I believe the 2006 automatic is a 4T40 (4 speed) from Hydramatic.

Here's a pdf of the Hydramatic manual

http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/membe...1352/4T40E.pdf

These were built in the millions and used in many GM small cars from 1995-2010 so lots of them out there.
Bill Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 08:24 PM   #4
PatrickION3

Not sure which code cause as you said I was using a generic elm 327 blue tooth reader. I also have micro mechanic and fixed by readers and a handheld one, not sure how comparable that one is but is $100 retail

Also since the computer reset, the car has that issue in the video but no code appears as of yet. I also haven't been driving it much

Will update as soon as I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
P0700 is a general alarm code related to xmission control module outputting one or more error codes from either a tcm or xmission issue. Transmission control modules are usually reliable with few exceptions. Since virtually all USA automatics are electronically controlled, TCMS are the xmission computers controlling the shift solenoids in autos. Feedback signals from shift solenoids, temperature sensor, speed sensor and other xmission sensors tells the tcm what's going on. When P0700 occurs, there should be other codes but may not be decoded by generic readers. Either GMs scantool or better aftermarket scantools are needed to decode GMs codes. In general, four code prefixes are; P (powertrain), C (chassis), B (body), and U (network). Many P codes aren't decoded by regular readers while the other codes require better readers.

Which xmission do you have?

1-AF23-5 5-speed automatic. Usually trouble free.

2-VT25-E Continuously Variable Transmission. The CVTs are problematic.

Saturn Vues with CVTs failed outright from extremely poor design and reliability. Vue CVTs had a two year run then GM quietly discontinued it. Vue forums are littered with cvt horror stories.

If yours is an AF23-5 speed auto then there may be shift solenoid issues that can be addressed.
Old 06-16-2022, 08:25 PM   #5
PatrickION3

From the looks of it it seems to be that transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murray View Post

These were built in the millions and used in many GM small cars from 1995-2010 so lots of them out there.
Old 06-17-2022, 09:37 AM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Examine your bill of sale if you're the original owner, look up your VIN to determine which xmission is yours or labeling on the car because the cvt is just an expensive time bomb while the regular automatic is more or less repairable (more so if a diyer).
Old 06-17-2022, 09:09 PM   #7
PatrickION3

Bought a bunch of solenoids, and looking them probably by the speed in and out sensors as well, as the car passed 202,000 miles earlier this week.

So I do not have the original bill of sale although there might be some information in the stuff that she gave me just have to double-check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Examine your bill of sale if you're the original owner, look up your VIN to determine which xmission is yours or labeling on the car because the cvt is just an expensive time bomb while the regular automatic is more or less repairable (more so if a diyer).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Resizer_16555143269471.jpg (168.5 KB, 6 views)
Old 06-17-2022, 10:27 PM   #8
bluesl2
Master Member
bluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of light

You have the 4T40 transmission in a 2006 model year. Take a look at the speed sensor on the right side of the transmission, it's going to be close to where the right side axle goes into the transmission. I saw a few on the L-series cars where the sensor/connector would get green corrosion on the inside. It would give erratic shifts and the speedometer would act weird and kind of bounce around. Give it a look and see. The wires going to the sensor are purple and the other is yellow.
bluesl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 12:14 PM   #9
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

PatrickION3, consensus here says you have the AF23-5 5-speed automatic.

The ELM 327 bluetooth reader is a generic type. Unless a scantool specifies it can decode manufacturer specific codes like GMs error codes related to xmission issues, none of the auto store readers can decode GMs C/U/B error codes. Higher numbered P codes may not be decoded too. I have (expensive at the time it was gifted to me) a scantool that displayed generic error codes, the ones only related to emissions. It helped insofar as repairing almost every error code to pass NYS inspection. It didn't decode the wrench light (separate from the engine light). My automatic intermittently clunked (hard shifts) until I stopped for an errand or coffee and let the engine/xmission cool down. After 10-15 minutes, restarting extinguished the wrench light and shifts were back to smooth operation. I broke down and bought an aftermarket scantool for around $120 and it decoded everything including battery disconnects. This scantool specifically decodes all GMs error codes. I also programmed spare remotes with it. The xmission errors remain in history so I was able to determine the intermittent hard shifts; pressure control solenoid (P1811) or more. Saturn service manuals explain hard shifts with P1811 as the tcm detects incorrect hydraulic pressures and defaults to hard shifts to protect the clutches from premature wear. Searching in general and within these forums seems to show pressure control solenoids are the issue, not the clutches. Suggestions of possible damage to wiring related to sensors on our xmissions should be considered when diagnosing your xmission issues.
VCX NANO
Old 06-18-2022, 01:38 PM   #10
02 LW300
Advanced Member
02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

In 2005, the Aisin 5-speed automatic transmission was discontinued. The VTi CVT used in the quad-coupes between 2002 and 2004 was also discontinued. GM's 4-speed 4T45-E replaced both transmissions, becoming the only available automatic transmission option. The 2005 Ion sedan models also received a new steering wheel, the same one used in the 2004 Ion coupe models. In the middle of the 2005 model year, the seats in the base Ion1 model received upgraded fabrics and a height adjustment feature. "Quiet Steel" multilaminate sound-reduction technology was also introduced in 2005. Cosmetic changes included an upgraded fascia with a larger grille opening (2005-2007 Ion sedan models) and redesigned wheel covers and redesigned alloy wheel offerings. Under the hood, an acoustic engine cover was added to the engine bay to reduce noise emissions.

The Level 2 and Level 3 models were offered with GM's new standard radio, featuring MP3 playback.

2006 saw the 170 hp (127 kW), 162 lb⋅ft (220 N⋅m) torque, 2.4 L straight-four engine with variable valve timing become available for the Ion 3. The Ion went on to be discontinued after the 2007 model year.[6]

If it is a 2006 automatic the 4t45e is the only one offered.
2002 L200/5 Loaded, over 1/4 million miles!

Last edited by 02 LW300; 06-18-2022 at 01:41 PM. Reason: More
02 LW300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 04:34 PM   #11
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

AF23-5 5-speed automatic or 4T-45E auto, repairs should be possible (hopefully).
Old 07-01-2022, 10:48 PM   #12
PatrickION3

Quote:

Am I reading this right, is the input speed sensor actually inside the transmission?

See photos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20220701-194437_Adobe Acrobat.jpg (234.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20220701-194805_Gallery.jpg (117.2 KB, 5 views)
Old 07-01-2022, 10:50 PM   #13
PatrickION3

The output speed sensor was fairly simple to do, I bought as I said for the different solenoids and I'm going to do a little more research before I start messing with any of the guts of this transmission, any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 07-04-2022, 03:49 PM   #14
Bill Murray
Master Member
Bill Murray is a jewel in the roughBill Murray is a jewel in the roughBill Murray is a jewel in the roughBill Murray is a jewel in the rough

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe
1997 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickION3 View Post
Am I reading this right, is the input speed sensor actually inside the transmission?

See photos
Correct. It is shown in better detail in Figure 45 of the manual. It's a magnetic pickup reading the teeth on the sprocket. Since it's inside the trans, you would not expect corrosion. Possibly if something is generating metal debris in the unit you might find chips on the magnet.
Old 07-04-2022, 03:53 PM   #15
PatrickION3

Quote:
Correct. It is shown in better detail in Figure 45 of the manual. It's a magnetic pickup reading the teeth on the sprocket. Since it's inside the trans, you would not expect corrosion. Possibly if something is generating metal debris in the unit you might find chips on the magnet.

I replaced the outspeed sensor and the needle bouncing has stopped all together, I drove it from Hemet all the way over to Santa's which is about an hour and 15 minutes each way and I had no issues, I'm still planning to change the solenoids and the input speed sensor when I get the funny feeling that those don't need to be replaced just yet
Old 07-06-2022, 04:07 PM   #16
Bill Murray
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe
1997 SC1

An erratic speed sensor can cause the controller to make all kinds of incorrect calculations and resulting commands so you may be good to go if it's running properly now.
Old 07-12-2022, 05:25 PM   #17
bluesl2
Master Member
bluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of light

I mentioned in post number 8 that very sensor. In the past I have seen some corrosion get in there and make it give erratic readings, also has caused speedometer needle fluctuations and weird shift points in the transaxle.
bluesl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 06:25 PM   #18
PatrickION3

Happy Re: 2006 Ion 3 transmission control module issues(?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesl2 View Post
I mentioned in post number 8 that very sensor. In the past I have seen some corrosion get in there and make it give erratic readings, also has caused speedometer needle fluctuations and weird shift points in the transaxle.

Actually that team just caused a lot more than that. My p0411 code went away less than a week after I installed the new speed out sensor. For that it just wouldn't go away no matter what I did
Old 07-12-2022, 10:14 PM   #19
PatrickION3

Quote:
Actually that team just caused a lot more than that. My p0411 code went away less than a week after I installed the new speed out sensor. For that it just wouldn't go away no matter what I did

I've been code free for over a week now so my engine light has not come on yet which is awesome
Old 07-19-2022, 06:15 PM   #20
PatrickION3

Quote:
I've been code free for over a week now so my engine light has not come on yet which is awesome
Aaaaand the engine light came on p0411 code, I was in a cooler climate area, send like when it's ultra hot the code goes away