SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2008, 11:39 AM   #1
nuheriot
nuheriot is on a distinguished road

Default SL2 pulling left slightly

I changed out all four struts this weekend and had an alignment done this morning. On top of the alignment I had a new driver's side front tire mounted (previous one had a nail in it). The existing tires were just put on the car 2 months ago so they are hardly worn.

While driving into work (highway) I noticed that the car was pulling very slightly to the left. When turning to the left on the highway if I let go of the wheel it tends to stay partially to the left. When turning to the right if I let go of the wheel it tends to straighten itself out. I called Goodyear and they said that a bad alignment won't cause that to happen and said that it sounds like a bad strut mount bearing. I replaced all 4 strut mounts when I changed the struts. Anyone have any ideas? Should I post my alignment results? Would a new drivers side front tire cause this to happen?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nuheriot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nuheriot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nuheriot is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2008, 11:57 AM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: SL2 pulling left slightly

A new tire and a slightly used tire can cause things like that. As will a dorked up alignment.

So, switch the 2 front tires left to right and see if the problem moves to the right side.

Are the rear tires the same age and brand/type as teh slightly used front one?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 12:04 PM   #3
nuheriot

Yup, all tires are the same; 3 are 2 months old and then the front left is brand new. The tires are directional, should I still swap the tires, temporarily, to see if that is the cause?

Is it easy to dork up an alignment using the fancy reflector alignment system most shops use? What are the recommended ranges for a 96 SL2 alignment? I have the printout but it is only partial and I am not sure I am reading it correctly. It only printed the numbers, not titles, headings, descriptions, etc. Just numbers.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help nuheriot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-24-2008, 07:40 AM   #4
72gssaturn
Advanced Member
72gssaturn will become famous soon enough72gssaturn will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

if the aligment is up to spec, then u may have a rack (rack & pinion) problem. a seal or o-ring may be failing causing the rack to want to steer left. souunds more like a caster problem with the left strut alignment.

Gerry
72 Buick GS red
2008 Astra XR black 3dr
99 SL1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 72gssaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 72gssaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
72gssaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 10:59 AM   #5
2003MercMaraude
2003MercMaraude is on a distinguished road

You are more likely than not, NOT going to get an alignment right on the first try. Most consumers will just 'live with' a slight pull and expect it, so shops rush. If you don't have a print out of your alignment, you have no idea what they did or did not set properly. Get a print out next time. And bring the car back to have the alignment re checked and explain the pull-- they are responsible for the work within the period that the shop warrantees it.

Rides:

2004 Ford Taurus SEL
2003 Mercury Marauder
1988 Chevy K1500
1976 Pontiac Firebird

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2003MercMaraude's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2003MercMaraude reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2003MercMaraude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 11:10 AM   #6
nuheriot

I plan on going back to the shop to have them check it just to make sure it is all good.

Here is what they gave me as my alignment results. Without the full printout I am not sure what numbers mean what.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 9-23 alignment data.pdf (16.5 KB, 24 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-24-2008, 12:19 PM   #7
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuheriot View Post
I plan on going back to the shop to have them check it just to make sure it is all good.

Here is what they gave me as my alignment results. Without the full printout I am not sure what numbers mean what.
You can put the new tire on the rear and one of the rears on the front. Be sure that they still rotate in the proper direction.

These are the real alignment specifications. Print them out for show and tell.

If an Alignment Is Performed

Front

Camber:
Preferred Setting -0.50
Minimum -1.20
Maximum +0.20

Cross Camber:
Preferred Setting 0.00
Minimum -0.40
Maximum +0.40

Caster:
Preferred Setting +1.70
Minimum +1.10
Maximum +2.30

Cross Caster:
Preferred Setting 0.00
Minimum -0.40
Maximum +0.40

Toe (Per Wheel):
Preferred Setting +0.10
Minimum 0.05
Maximum +0.15

Total Toe:
Preferred Setting +0.20
Minimum +0.10
Maximum +0.30

Rear

Camber:
Preferred Setting -0.70
Minimum -1.40
Maximum 0.00

Cross Camber:
Preferred Setting 0.00
Minimum -1.00
Maximum +1.00

Toe (Per Wheel):
Preferred Setting +0.10
Minimum +0.05
Maximum +0.15

Total Toe:
Preferred Setting +0.20
Minimum +0.10
Maximum +0.30

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 03:07 AM   #8
curls
curls is on a distinguished road

1992 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
These are the real alignment specifications. Print them out for show and tell.

If an Alignment Is Performed

Front

Camber:
Preferred Setting -0.50
Minimum -1.20
Maximum +0.20

Caster:
Preferred Setting +1.70
Minimum +1.10
Maximum +2.30

Rear

Camber:
Preferred Setting -0.70
Minimum -1.40
Maximum 0.00

Are these the same for 92 SC DOHC?
TiresPlus is using different specs for camber. --JustTires matches these specs.

TiresPlus (vs. JustTires):

Front
Camber:
Minimum -0.9 -1.20
Maximum +0.5 +0.20

Rear

Camber:
Minimum -1.70 -1.40
Maximum +0.3 0.00

For Caster they are using the same slightly different numbers than here:
Caster:
Minimum +1.20 +1.10
Maximum +2.20 +2.30

My car is outside range of one's camber but not the other's. Also the numbers they read are quite different in some cases. TiresPlus where I have the warranty is the one that said the camber & caster can't be adjusted.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to curls's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help curls reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
curls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 07:37 AM   #9
Fox Slaughter
Fox Slaughter is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2
1996 SL2

If I'm not mistaken isn't the car suppose to pull slightly to the right? This is in case you fall asleep driving you don't veer into on coming traffic?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Fox Slaughter's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Fox Slaughter reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Fox Slaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 11:40 AM   #10
nuheriot

I think the issue is the slope of the section of highway that I notice the pull on. All road drains are in the median, between E and W lanes so either side of the highway slopes to the left. On open sections of what appears to be flat, straight highway the steering stays true.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-31-2009, 01:41 AM   #11
curls
curls is on a distinguished road

1992 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by curls View Post
Are these the same for 92 SC DOHC?
TiresPlus is using different specs for camber. --JustTires matches these specs.
The numbers OldNuc posted & JustTires uses are correct. Another TiresPlus also uses those numbers. So I hit an error in a specific shop. Saturn dealer gave me matching numbers pulling them from ALLDATA database. TiresPlus uses Hunter equip & they provide the specs.

So now I have an appt at a different TiresPlus...with the tech who went out of his way to answer my specs questions. Fingers crossed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to curls's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help curls reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
curls is offline   Reply With Quote