SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2009, 09:50 AM   #1
marx404
Master Member
marx404 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE
Default Pulling slightly right

I just noticed that my XE is pulling very slightly to the right when I accelerate, but not when I am coasting. Is this normal? The tires seem to be balanced, no wobbling or shaking, car drives just fine otherwise.

marx404
Saturn lives on.

1994 SL2
2002 SC2
2007 ION.3
2008 Astra XE
2004 L300.1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to marx404's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help marx404 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
marx404 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2009, 10:26 AM   #2
cschmidt1956
cschmidt1956 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Pulling slightly right

Sounds like "TORQUE STEER". This used to be quite a handful in the earlier days of front wheel drive. My Mini Cooper S I had in England (an original from 1965) had this really bad. Over the years this has almost been engineered out of most cars. I think this is what you feeling.

2010 Chevrolet Camaro LT2/RS V6
2008 Saturn Astra XR 3 Door - Sapphire Black (Gone but NOT forgotten!)
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Brilliant Black Metallic
1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue GLS, Black

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cschmidt1956's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cschmidt1956 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cschmidt1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 10:44 AM   #3
RoadIon
Advanced Member
RoadIon will become famous soon enough

2007 ION Red Line
2007 ION-3 Sedan

FWD=TORQUE STEER, some cars more then others. On average the more TORQUE from the engine the more torque steer.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RoadIon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RoadIon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RoadIon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 11:08 AM   #4
Layoira
Layoira is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Yep normal, its just torque steer as everyone else pointed out. (Since you indicated its only on acceleration). I get it too. Its normal.

~Christina~
Astra XR5: 3M Film,GID, Arm Rest, SRi Wheel, Tints (50/35/13), Pioneer Nav Unit, Debadged, Glovebox Cooling, VXR Surrounds, Painted Grill, XP Spoiler, HIDS, Footwell Lighting. Pics Up :)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Layoira's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Layoira reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Layoira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 11:41 AM   #5
Toto
Toto is on a distinguished road

Let me guess, marx404, you are a NASCAR driver?

j/k

Funny beside, a little bit torque steer is normal. Sometimes it also depends on the road condition where your little Astra try to follow a trace rille (sp?).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Toto's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Toto reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Toto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 11:56 AM   #6
Teh_Freak
Teh_Freak is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Torque steer like everyone else said, though I can't say I've noticed it.

-- Jon --
Red 2008 Saturn Astra XR3 (2008 - 2012 RIP) :(
Black 1987 Porsche 944
Blue 2012 Ford Focus (On Order)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Teh_Freak's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Teh_Freak reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Teh_Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 11:56 AM   #7
adammsu
adammsu is on a distinguished road

further more, most cars will drift some to the right even while coasting... i think the idea is to drift you off the road if u fall asleep rather then into traffic....

2008 Astra XR5 Twilight Blue
---I hate being a mod-inclined person w/o the money/time to do any of it---

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adammsu's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adammsu reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adammsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 12:45 PM   #8
marx404
Master Member

2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto View Post
Let me guess, marx404, you are a NASCAR driver?

j/k

Just practicing for when Penske takes over, LOL.

marx404
Saturn lives on.

1994 SL2
2002 SC2
2007 ION.3
2008 Astra XE
2004 L300.1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help marx404 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-18-2009, 12:50 PM   #9
marx404
Master Member

2008 Astra XE

I just musty have never really noticed it before. I had my TPMS replaced on the right front tire and noticed immediately that the tech neglected to balance the tire, wobbles and all. (who wouldn't balance a tire after working on it?) After bringing it back to have the tire balance it, I guess I have been really paying attention to it. The right-pulling occurs at any speed, 30mph, 60mph, whatever, but as I say if I am coasting no pull. I kinda thought it was torque steer, I guess the drive wheel is on the right side? (havent looked yet) Thanks.

marx404
Saturn lives on.

1994 SL2
2002 SC2
2007 ION.3
2008 Astra XE
2004 L300.1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-18-2009, 04:41 PM   #10
aaronearles
aaronearles is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

What torque!? Where??

2008 Astra XR5 - Arctic White

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to aaronearles's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help aaronearles reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
aaronearles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 04:45 PM   #11
adammsu
adammsu is on a distinguished road

unless you really get after the throttle (and this car really doesn't have enough power to torque steer tooooo bad...) you probably would never notice much torque steer, especially at higher speeds. I have had FWD cars with way more power, and at speed (say 25-30mph) you have to force a down shift to first gear by flooring it to detect any torque steer. The fact that it doesn't do it while coasting means its probably not alignment, but who knows....

2008 Astra XR5 Twilight Blue
---I hate being a mod-inclined person w/o the money/time to do any of it---

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adammsu's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adammsu reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adammsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 06:30 PM   #12
Astra La Vista!
Astra La Vista! has a spectacular aura aboutAstra La Vista! has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by adammsu View Post
further more, most cars will drift some to the right even while coasting... i think the idea is to drift you off the road if u fall asleep rather then into traffic....
Actually, it has more to do with the crown of the road (ie: higher at the center line, tapering off towards both shoulders to allow for better water run off), although alignment specs are supposed to take this into account. The trouble is, different roads have different degrees of crown.

There's also the other possibility that you have a tire problem. Swapping the front tires from side to side usually reverses the pull in these cases.

"That's a Hruck Bugbear, manufactured in Eastern Europe in the eighties and imported to the States. People mock it as a poor man's Yugo. I consider it the pinnacle of Cold War Balkan engineering."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Astra La Vista!'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Astra La Vista! reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Astra La Vista! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 10:05 PM   #13
SaturnRaycer
SaturnRaycer is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Torque steer is not automatic with FWD. Cars with transverse engines are more likely to have it than cars with longitudinal engines (think Audi A4). Because the half shafts are different lengths in a transverse layout torque steer occurs. Some manufacturers have gone to the expense of making the shafts equal in mass despite different lengths, which negates most of the torque steer.

Marx, If you're feeling a slight pull to the right on level road at cruise, or moderate acceleration, you may have an alignment issue. Torque steer is usually at its worst when the front wheels are turned, and there is a great amount of relative torque produced - usually in a lower gear under very hard acceleration in a corner. Obviously, the more powerful the engine, the greater the effect.

Rex
2008 Astra XR
5 dr, 5 spd, sport package
Black Sapphire

If you're going to wave, use all your fingers.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnRaycer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnRaycer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnRaycer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 10:14 PM   #14
RoadIon
Advanced Member

2007 ION Red Line
2007 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturnRaycer View Post
Torque steer is not automatic with FWD. Cars with transverse engines are more likely to have it than cars with longitudinal engines (think Audi A4). Because the half shafts are different lengths in a transverse layout torque steer occurs. Some manufacturers have gone to the expense of making the shafts equal in mass despite different lengths, which negates most of the torque steer.

Marx, If you're feeling a slight pull to the right on level road at cruise, or moderate acceleration, you may have an alignment issue. Torque steer is usually at its worst when the front wheels are turned, and there is a great amount of relative torque produced - usually in a lower gear under very hard acceleration in a corner. Obviously, the more powerful the engine, the greater the effect.

Well one will never have torque steer with a rear drive car, and most manufactures have gone to the expence of making shafts an equal length on modern cars. Yet FWD cars still show signs of torque steer. Still other things can be done to diminish torque steer.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help RoadIon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-20-2009, 02:46 AM   #15
Swordfish
Advanced Member
Swordfish is on a distinguished road

2009 Astra XE

Kinda off-topic but somewhat related... I was on my way to work this evening, and I was shifting with one hand and had my coffee in the other hand, getting onto the 20, and... guess what??? even at 120 km/h, in slight curves, the car stayed between the white lines without me touching the wheel!!!!!! Granted, I had one free hand at that point to grab the wheel if need be, since I was in 5th gear :P I could have sworn there were sensors somehwere on the car that detected the lanes, and kept me in the middle of mine!!!! I went for a good 45 seconds, maybe even more. Wow.

Marc-Antoine

2009 Astra XE 5-door, Twilight Blue.
"I have four rules in the Astra. No food, no drink, no smoking, and no vomit. Got it? Now... let me just put my coffee in the cup holder..."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Swordfish's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Swordfish reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Swordfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 07:19 AM   #16
Toto
Toto is on a distinguished road

I think you can thank the road engineer/worker for that.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Toto's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Toto reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Toto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 08:59 AM   #17
RoadIon
Advanced Member

2007 ION Red Line
2007 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordfish View Post
Kinda off-topic but somewhat related... I was on my way to work this evening, and I was shifting with one hand and had my coffee in the other hand, getting onto the 20, and... guess what??? even at 120 km/h, in slight curves, the car stayed between the white lines without me touching the wheel!!!!!! Granted, I had one free hand at that point to grab the wheel if need be, since I was in 5th gear :P I could have sworn there were sensors somehwere on the car that detected the lanes, and kept me in the middle of mine!!!! I went for a good 45 seconds, maybe even more. Wow.

Drinking & driving, with no hands.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-20-2009, 09:47 AM   #18
Swordfish
Advanced Member

2009 Astra XE

No hands, technically, yes. but I had one hand free when I was on the highway. :P I must admit though, it is a very bad habit I picked up driving an automatic. I am thinking of giving up my Tim Hortons pit-stops when travelling.

Marc-Antoine

"I have four rules in the Astra. No food, no drink, no smoking, and no vomit. Got it? Now... let me just put my coffee in the cup holder..."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Swordfish reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-20-2009, 11:30 AM   #19
Astra La Vista!
Astra La Vista! has a spectacular aura aboutAstra La Vista! has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordfish View Post
I am thinking of giving up my Tim Hortons pit-stops when travelling.
Noooo!

"That's a Hruck Bugbear, manufactured in Eastern Europe in the eighties and imported to the States. People mock it as a poor man's Yugo. I consider it the pinnacle of Cold War Balkan engineering."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Astra La Vista!'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Astra La Vista! reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Astra La Vista! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 06:36 AM   #20
Swordfish
Advanced Member

2009 Astra XE

Well, I was on my way in to work again last night... Couldn't do it. Night shifts are too rough without the starting kick of a coffee!!!!

Marc-Antoine

REWARD EXCELLENCE!