Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 01-06-2006, 10:51 AM   #1
Luke
Master Member
Luke will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2
Default Report on my Transmission Fluid & Filter Change -- Even I'm impressed

Results in transmission fluid & filter change effort

At the end of the year, I changed my transmission fluid & filter; The significance of this effort, was that it was the first time I would be affecting a change, after earlier in the year, replacing the standard drain plug, with a Fumoto drain valve. The same valve I had installed in the car's oil pan's drain plug, ten years ago.

As all of you, who have changed their transmission fluid are fully aware, by pulling the drain plug, one can easily get rather drentched with the initial fluid flow, while attempting to get the flow into the drain pan/container. "tacky" procedure, as I would say....

Well, in my case, my operation went suprisingly easy, and clean ---- to say the least. My initial steps, took place just after having driven through substantial rain down pour, while driving home. Upon getting home, I simply raised the driver's front side of the car, just to the point where the tire was to have lifted off the ground. My purpose, was to be able to simply ((and easily)) crawl under the driver's side front point, and manually open the vavle.

After sliding in the flat collection containter, easily opening the vavle, the flow was controlled directly into the flat container. After that, I simply lowered the car, and went into the house for dinner -- with my work completion to take place the following morning.

The amount of time this initial procedure took, was not more than five minutes -- keep in my, I work very slowly.

The following morning, I went out, re-raised the car, closed the valve, and slide out the drain container, to a point where I could then collect any residual fluid drain from the filter's removal..

To remove the filter, as I have a cold intake system, I simply lifted out the air intake in one motion, thus leaving me considerable space to affect the loosening and removal of the filter. I just loosend the filter, so that any remaining fluid in the filter would slowly drain out along the side of the transmission housing, directly into the flat collection container. (((>While this was taking place, I changed the spark plugs<)))

Once convinced that there was no more fluid to drain out, I slowly twisted out the filter, with no spillage, and lifted it up and out. After cleaning the side the transmission, where the residual fluid drained, I fully removed the collection container, and installed the new (( OEM Saturn filter )).

Here is where the effort gets interesting. Everywhere I've read, and I have a rather good library, it was written that the car should take "Capacity: Transmission Fluid change with Filter" 4.2 quarts of fluid." Weeeeeeellllllllll. Not true. In this case, I added 4 quarts, with the remaining to be added after I had taken a drive, and then dip-tested the level. I found that my "dip" reading showed just touching the bottom of the xxxxxx field. After three drives and testing, with additions made, I found that I was at 5 quarts, with a little more needed. Picking up a 6th quart, I found that my system took 5.5 quarts.

This considerable divergence from all that I've read, as to what the system should take ((4.2 quarts)), I became concerned. I than went back and researched all the material I had on the transmission and found a paragraph, on page 186 TAAT of the FSM:

It read:

IMPORTANT: The capacities above are for initial refill only. To determine the proper transaxle fluid level, it must be checked according to the ransaxle fluid level checking procedures.

Aaaaahhhh, the importance of reading all the material available for a given procedure, and not from only one source.

In closing, this effort is now set up, so that there simply is no challenge at all, in changing the fluid and filter.
> 95 SL 2 = 653,369 Miles 40.4 MPG, as of 5/20/11. My manual Radiator Fan Switch, courtesy of Wolfman's patient installation guidance, continues to be.......invaluable < The car was retired
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2006, 11:19 AM   #2
poorboy
poorboy is a jewel in the roughpoorboy is a jewel in the roughpoorboy is a jewel in the rough

1994 SL2
Default Re: Report on my Transmission Fluid & Filter Change -- Even I'm impressed

Thanks for the tip. When I changed mine, it took 5 quarts even. Then again I did not leave it drain overnight.
94 SL2 Automatic
poorboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 11:23 AM   #3
clemsonsaturn
clemsonsaturn is on a distinguished road

1992 SL2
Default Re: Report on my Transmission Fluid & Filter Change -- Even I'm impressed

You're exactly right on the refill! When we just changed the transmission fluid in my 1992 SL2 (auto ofcourse) we added the 4.2 qts like the owner's manual says then drove the car down the driveway, let it warm up, and came back to check the fluid. It was very low. We added almost 6 quarts to it before it read full at operating temperature.

That's an important thing to remember...

BTW Luke, do you have any pics of your car? I'm curious to see a 441K SL2.
2008 Honda Civic LX Atomic Blue
1992 SL2 Two Tone Medium Red/Silver
clemsonsaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 11:36 AM   #4
TXTABBY
TXTABBY is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2

Good story! I had been thinking of installing those drain valves since I first heard about them, now I have more incentive. Good idea to let things drain "over night", as I like to "take my time" and do a job "right, not twice". I used to do all of the minor maintenance when I had access to the auto hobby shop on base when I was in the Air Force, but since I retired I've relied on shops to do the work...and it's been a minor pain in the butt since. So next time it's due for oil changes I think I'll pick up a couple of jack stands, two valves and a oil drain pan/container. I just have to remember to put down lots of "material" underneath my work area to catch any fluid that misses the container when I install the valves.
Usetahave 1994 SL2 105,000 mi. avg. 29-30 mpg
Austin, TX
TXTABBY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 11:38 AM   #5
amazinghl
Master Member
amazinghl will become famous soon enough

Only too me 4.8 to refill, guess I didn't get that much out.

Oh well, I'll worry about it in the next 30k
85 GLH 367whp. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2261629#post2261629
00 Insight 72mpg
amazinghl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 11:45 AM   #6
TXTABBY

1994 SL2
Thumbs Up Re: Report on my Transmission Fluid & Filter Change -- Even I'm impressed

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonsaturn
Exactly! I also want to see what a '95 SL2 that gets 40 MPG looks like. My best is 31 ('94 SL2)...
Austin, TX
Old 01-06-2006, 11:59 AM   #7
amazinghl
Master Member

I know what it looks like.

Going steady 60mph or less on fwy.
85 GLH 367whp. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2261629#post2261629
00 Insight 72mpg
Old 01-06-2006, 12:21 PM   #8
TXTABBY

1994 SL2

Geez...must be nice.
Austin, TX
Old 01-06-2006, 12:44 PM   #9
amazinghl
Master Member

I don't know. I lived in CA and tried to go at the speed limit before.

I got tired of people cuting me off and tailgate me.
00 Insight 72mpg
Old 01-07-2006, 12:03 PM   #10
Luke
Master Member

1995 SL2

Quote:
>Fm Clemson<
Guys, I'm still learning how to use this computer, and now I'm supposed to be able to put "pictures" on the forum. Hoooooooo, how I would like to, for it is very apparent, that pictures make all of the difference when trying to explain something.

With that said, I am trying to get my wife to show me how to do it -- good help you all, when this happens, though....

Quote:
>Fm TXT ABBY <
I had been thinking of installing those drain valves since I first heard about them
Just remember, that the unit for the transmission, requires a small "extension" adaptor -- this allows one the fully move the valve handle.

Quote:
>Fm Amazing HL<
I know what it looks like. Going steady 60mph or less on fwy.
As I've mentioned before, max 2,400 RPM, but now have been at just 60 mph.
Quote:
I don't know. I lived in CA and tried to go at the speed limit before. I got tired of people cuting me off and tailgate me.
And it's even gotten worse.
> 95 SL 2 = 653,369 Miles 40.4 MPG, as of 5/20/11. My manual Radiator Fan Switch, courtesy of Wolfman's patient installation guidance, continues to be.......invaluable < The car was retired
Old 01-07-2006, 01:31 PM   #11
Eightball56
Eightball56 is on a distinguished road

2002 SL1

2002 SL1 getting 36.6 miles per US Gal 4 speed auto driving at 70mph and 20 or so miles (not all at once) at 90mph. Speed limit is 62 mph here (100 kph) but if you don't do 120 to 130 (75 to 80 mph) you'll get run over.

Tranny fluid filter change regularly is smart and something most people never do.
I'll take it to my mechanic though, in my youth I did that stuff like change a water pump in my Gremlin X curbside on the street in January at -10 F but now that I'm older I prefer to pay the guy with the heated garage to get his hands dirty for me.
Eightball56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 06:54 PM   #12
Razorbak
Master Member
Razorbak is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke
[color=blue]Everywhere I've read, and I have a rather good library, it was written that the car should take "Capacity: Transmission Fluid change with Filter" 4.2 quarts of fluid." Weeeeeeellllllllll. Not true. In this case, I added 4 quarts, with the remaining to be added after I had taken a drive, and then dip-tested the level. I found that my "dip" reading showed just touching the bottom of the xxxxxx field. After three drives and testing, with additions made, I found that I was at 5 quarts, with a little more needed. Picking up a 6th quart, I found that my system took 5.5 quarts.

This considerable divergence from all that I've read, as to what the system should take ((4.2 quarts)), I became concerned. I than went back and researched all the material I had on the transmission and found a paragraph, on page 186 TAAT of the FSM:

It read:

IMPORTANT: The capacities above are for initial refill only. To determine the proper transaxle fluid level, it must be checked according to the ransaxle fluid level checking procedures.

Aaaaahhhh, the importance of reading all the material available for a given procedure, and not from only one source.
After you let the engine and transmission cool overnight, check the fluid level again in the morning, and see how the new fluid level compares to the "MAX COLD" line on the transaxle dipstick.
Razorbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 08:41 PM   #13
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Gee, somebody posted a really great How To on this not very long ago...let me see if I can find it...

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65426
Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 09:18 PM   #14
Razorbak
Master Member

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman
Gee, somebody posted a really great How To on this not very long ago...let me see if I can find it...

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65426
Wolfman, I checked "that other guy's" thread you posted and couldn't find the answer to my question, so I'll ask you instead.

Seriously, though, I'm curious how much the transaxle fluid level changes between hot and cold? Is it really a significant amount?

I know that Saturn recommends checking the fluid level when the engine is warm and not cold, but they include a "MAX COLD" line on the dipstick (presumably for reference only).

I know the fluid-change and fluid-level-checking procedures are pretty specific, and presumably for a reason. I just don't know how much the fluid level changes on an automatic tranny between hot and cold.

Just curious.

Last edited by Razorbak; 01-07-2006 at 09:24 PM.
Old 01-07-2006, 09:23 PM   #15
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

The "logic" (if you can call it that) behind that is, that if the transaxle is too full "COLD" it won't hurt anything..... Too full "HOT" and bad things happen. So the "HOT" level becomes more critical than "COLD". Hot is also a relative concept...some cars are "hotter" than others, and that can also vary depending on a variety of factors including outside ambiant temperature. Since the car's operating temperature (as opposed to the weather) is mechanically regulated, checking the transaxle fluid "HOT" and "RUNNING in PARK" will provide the most consistant and accurate reading when the level needs to be the "most correct".
Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 09:27 PM   #16
Razorbak
Master Member

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman
The "logic" (if you can call it that) behind that is, that if the transaxle is too full "COLD" it won't hurt anything..... Too full "HOT" and bad things happen. So the "HOT" level becomes more critical than "COLD". Hot is also a relative concept...some cars are "hotter" than others, and that can also vary depending on a variety of factors including outside ambiant temperature. Since the car's operating temperature (as opposed to the weather) is mechanically regulated, checking the transaxle fluid "HOT" and "RUNNING in PARK" will provide the most consistant and accurate reading when the level needs to be the "most correct".
Ahh, that makes sense. Thanks for helping me understand the relevance of the temperature impact.
Old 01-08-2006, 06:46 PM   #17
Luke
Master Member

1995 SL2

Quote:
> Fm Razor Bak <
> After you let the engine and transmission cool overnight, check the fluid level again in the morning, and see how the new fluid level compares to the "MAX COLD" line on the transaxle dipstick. <
I've found no corrolation; To the extent that I would not rely on the "cold" reading on the dip-stick. (( Of course, that could be simply with my car's transmission. ))

Quote:
> Fm Wolfman<
> Gee, somebody posted a really great How To on this not very long ago>>>>>>>>>
Actually, I had read that (( And in my case, more than once,.....& slowly )) but, I had preferred to work with my set up/procedural steps. I do have certain restrictions, at the moment, in my work area.
Old 01-16-2006, 04:37 PM   #18
kcooper992
kcooper992 is on a distinguished road

Dont forget the amount of transmission fluid that you may have a tough time getting to drain from the transfer casing. This is usually a little more than a quart and is not expected to drain naturally. By leaving the car to drain over night or by using a sump system you may get more fluid out of the system. The manual expects a certain volume to stay in the casing. It's likely that some of this does drain but Saturn doesn't want to be responsible for transmissions that grind themselves to bits under high lubricant pressures (in auto tranny's the fluid actually helps transfer engine power to the gears) and save themselves the trouble by saying 4.2Q instead of 5.6Q. This may explain the extra fluid you had to add. I'm expecting to use more than 5 quarts when I change mine again real soon. Sadly I've still got plugs and petcocks, no valves. Check and change them often its only 20 bucks for filter and fluid but do a little looking for a new transmission and you'll see why its so cheap.
kcooper992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 05:28 PM   #19
Luke
Master Member

1995 SL2

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ K Cooper, Thank you for the input
Old 01-17-2006, 08:31 AM   #20
94SW2
94SW2 is on a distinguished road

1993 SL2
1994 SW2

Thanks for the report Luke.
This weekend has been designated for car maintainence with tranny fluid being one of the items on the docket.
Wish me luck
94SW2 is offline   Reply With Quote