SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 12-20-2005, 04:18 PM   #1
Mr.Barrett
Mr.Barrett is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2
Question Spark Plug Help, Silverstone Plugs Vs. The "Others"

Hello, I am a new member and this is my first post. I have a quick question about spark plugs for my 1998 Saturn SC2(DOHC). I am about to get some new plugs for it and was on http://www.spswebpage.com and notice a plug called “Beru Silverstone.” They only have two left and I need four so I looked around and found one similar or might be the same at, http://www.nology.com/silver.html .

I was curious is anyone has heard of anything about the non-resistor plugs and/or the silver plugs. Are the good? Better than cooper? Better than platinum? Better than Iridium? Or would I just waste my money on a plug that would be comparable to a lower price plug?

Thanks for your help!

If you have an suggestion on spark plug wires, I would be willing to here your opinions on them also.
Mr.Barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2005, 04:39 PM   #2
eljefino
Master Member
eljefino will become famous soon enough

1995 SW1
2000 SL1
Default Re: Spark Plug Help, Silverstone Plugs Vs. The "Others"

Gimmick spark plugs are the new snake oil. I'd stick with stock coppers.
eljefino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 04:46 PM   #3
ringed1
ringed1 is on a distinguished road

1994 SC2

Don't know about the "Beru Silverstone" plugs, but I can say that the $1.18 Autolite copper plugs from Wal-Mart run as well or better in my car than anything else. Not that you're considering them, but definately avoid the Bosch Platinum +2 and +4 plugs. I tried the +2's quite a while ago, and had problems. Probably because the air gap between the electrodes is about twice Saturn spec. (Bosch says NOT to re-gap these plugs)
ringed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 05:10 PM   #4
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

Consensus on here is to use NGKs standard or V-Powers. Any premium brand of wires will work for you.
There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 03:17 AM   #5
stanleyr
stanleyr is on a distinguished road

1992 SL2
2003 ION-3 Sedan

Can't recall exactly who had recommended the Silverstones with the Nology wires, SPS or Nology, but I thought one of them considered that combination to be the best they tested using a dynomometer. If so, I wonder what other non-resistor plugs they tested.

I ran Silverstones in my SL2 for a while (25,000 miles) with the Nology wires. My particular engine realized a consistant 1.5 MPG gain with that set up (from 28 MPG to 29.5 MPG city/hwy) compared to the NGK BKR4ESA-11's and standard wires. I was unsure if the wires or the plugs made the difference. At the time, I didn't know of any other non-resistor applications that would work. Later on, I found other suitable non-resistor plugs that worked and provided even slightly better mileage, 30 to 30.5 MPG, and were much more reasonable in price.

Anyway, Silverstones don't last longer than a standard plug, and Nology will agree with this. Compared to other plugs after 15,000 miles, they didn't appear any cleaner or dirtier than some other more conventional plugs. So it would seem that the higher cost justification is for the silver conductor. True, that silver is a great conductor, but it wasn't the only plug that worked well with my particular engine and wire combination. Also, the Silverstones only come in one heat range for the Saturn application. I like to have colder plugs available sometimes.

Resistor vs. non-resistor is definitely a topic that will bring about great debate. You will find much more resistor applications than non-resistor applications available for the SL2.

Each driver is different / , the fuel formulations are different, everyone's approach to engine maintenance is different, etc. So what may work well with one vehicle, may be awful with another. Just because the Nology wires provided improved fuel mileage with my engine (rebuilt, overbore), it doesn't mean it will do this for every Saturn SL2. Sure you can do some testing on your own if you have the time, patience and $$$ to . But if you want a recommendation, I can't really recommend any set up other than what the OEM specs call out for and what the visitors to this forum have generally accepted.
stanleyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 12:47 PM   #6
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
I was curious is anyone has heard of anything about the non-resistor plugs and/or the silver plugs.
Don't use non-resistor spark plugs unless you are using Nology HotWires. You may experience some radio buzzing with them. or they may self-detruct. I went through 3 sets of Nology wires on my 92 SC before I gave up. I only paid $175 for the first set and kept sending them back to Nology to fix them.
eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe
eRic 02sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 01:36 PM   #7
stanleyr
stanleyr is on a distinguished road

1992 SL2
2003 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by eRic 02sc2
...I went through 3 sets of Nology wires on my 92 SC before I gave up...
eRic, Daaaang! You went through 3 sets trying to get rid of the radio noise? Or was it the self-destruction you mentioned? What exactly self destructed?
stanleyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 01:45 PM   #8
RalliArt16
RalliArt16 is on a distinguished road

1996 SC1
1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnOwl
Consensus on here is to use NGKs standard or V-Powers. Any premium brand of wires will work for you.
Yes, just go to advance auto and get NGKS, they are the best and very inexpensive.

DOHC - NGK BKR5E-11... or just tell the advance auto person "i need ngk plug stock number 6953" its a store stocked item.

SOHC - NGK BKR4E-11...i forget the stock number, but its a warehouse item at advance auto, they should be able to get it within a day.

Both are like $1.68 or something.
1996 SC1
1995 SC2
RalliArt16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 02:19 PM   #9
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanleyr
eRic, Daaaang! You went through 3 sets trying to get rid of the radio noise? Or was it the self-destruction you mentioned? What exactly self destructed?
I gave up on them not self-destructing and arcing. The first set melted. I sent them back and they sent me a set with thicker insulation on them. That set melted too. They were too long and rested on top of the (aluminum) cam cover and chaffed and the glue oozed out of the end where the grounding straps were located. I sent THOSE back with a set of OEM wires so they could measure the length and get closer to what's needed. The third set worked OK but made my radio buzz in rhythm with the engine rpm. I took them out along with the Beru Silverstone spark plugs and got Magnecor KV85 wires and AC Delco spark plugs. Problem solved. I got NGK spark plugs after 30,000 miles or whenever the AC Delco spark plugs wore out.
eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe
eRic 02sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 02:33 PM   #10
JADEDSL2
JADEDSL2 will become famous soon enough

Location: Sullivan, Missouri, USA, North America, Northern West Hemisphere, Earth, Solar System, Left Galactic Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Galactic Cluster, Universe

1993 SL2
1991 SL2

NGK Iridium plugs are phenomenal. Pair them with Nology Hotwires, and you'll be sure to never want to use anything else. That is, if your saturn is one of the few that will willingly accept them. A lot of saturns run like crap on anything but regular NGK's. Mine ran like crap on regulars, and awesome on Iridiums.
"1G8ZJ5472MZ134321"-my Jaded, I will never forget.
"1G8ZF5594PZ249184"-Trinity, for three are now one.
JADEDSL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 02:57 PM   #11
Mr.Barrett
Mr.Barrett is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2
Happy Re: Spark Plug Help, Silverstone Plugs Vs. The "Others"

Thanks for all your postings, I think I am going to go the NGK Standard plugs, BKR5ESA-11. I do have one more question about plug wires.

I am looking to upgrade my wires, is there any opinion on what set of wires would work best on my Saturn (98 SC2) and with the NGK plugs?

Thanks again for your help!

Mr.Barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 06:22 PM   #12
dansl2
Advanced Member
dansl2 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2

OEM wires (Dealer) or if you want to spend money, the Magnacore's work pretty well too.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
dansl2 is offline   Reply With Quote