SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 07-07-2005, 12:57 PM   #1
Caeric ArcLight
Caeric ArcLight is on a distinguished road

1996 SL1
Default trans fluid/filter change will kill car?

Greetings,

Okay...first off...brand new to all this so bear with me, please.

Have had a 96 SL1 for about a year. 140k miles on it. Auto trans is acting up. Not wanting to change gear...possibly heat related as letting it sit for a few minutes will at least calm it down enough to get where I'm going.

My step-dad is my "go to" guy for car problems (as my car knowledge is practically nil and he's a car nut who runs a body shop) and he suggested a fluid/filter change as a quick/cheap first step.

The guy I talked to where I generally take the car to for work feels that, based on his previous experience with Saturns and especially if nothing else has ever been done to the trans before (I'll have to check on that...I can get in touch with the previous owners fairly easily) that a change is just as likely to stir up more problems and kill it completely. I don't think he was just trying to sell me on replacing/rebuilding/whatever because this place doesn't do that - he didn't try and steer me towards a place - and he does a lot of work for my step-dad's place and would not want to mess up that deal.

But I've been browsing the forums some and see a lot of 'change the fluid/filter' suggestions. Should I have them go for it? Suck it up and give changing it myself a shot? Check the local tranny shops for "Saturn experts" to check it out and see if those "free diagnostics" deals are worth the money?

Money, is of course, also a major issue, as I have none to spare and like all of you, don't want to spend any on something that likely won't work/will make things worse.

Pity on the clueless noob?
Chris

"Murphy was an optimist."
Caeric ArcLight is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2005, 01:07 PM   #2
Tom92SCm
Master Member
Tom92SCm has a spectacular aura aboutTom92SCm has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: trans fluid/filter change will kill car?

I don't see how changing the fluid and filter would cause the car to die completely. The only thing I've ever heard of is changing the fluid to synthetic on a high mileage car could cause leaks.

I'm no automatic tranny expert, but I would say your valve body is having issues. Do a search for that in the TECH and How-To areas for some quick fixes. If those don't work, take it to a professional or start shopping around for a "new" transmission if the problem gets worse.

--Tom
Not a Saturn.
Tom92SCm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 02:32 PM   #3
mjo
Advanced Member
mjo is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2
Default Re: trans fluid/filter change will kill car?

I would buy Auto-RX and immediately put it in. This will help clean out all the buildup in your transmission. It works! Follow the Auto-RX instructions, they say to have a transmission flush done after 1500 miles (which you can do yourself if you are careful and have the right flare wrench). Then change to Mobil 1 and a good tranny filter. Mobil 1 keeps the transmission cooler and will protect the transmission more than regular ATF. A good tranny filter would be in my opinion a Purolator, ACDelco, or Baldwin. Don't get the cheap junk (eg. Fram) if you value your transmission.

BTW, you can purchase Auto-RX at www.auto-rx.com
mjo is offline   Reply With Quote