SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Reference Forums > Miscellaneous Tech

Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2003, 11:52 PM   #1
hutch109
hutch109 is on a distinguished road

Question 92 SL SOHC Stumble/Miss/Hesitation?

I seem to have a stumble / miss, while idling - either in drive, or in park - and there is also a hesitation on early take off.

Its much more pronounced with the A/C on. There was only 1 code, code 26 (Quad Driver) - I chased that one around forever - don't see any trouble with it - and the Tech1A/Saturn scanner tested the quads 4 times - passes each time.

I have new plugs, wires, and ECT. I have checked the TB for carbon and it looks fine - I have pulled the EGR off and it had a little buildup in it, but it cleaned out fine. I have also replaced the EGR solenoid.

Car has 117K on it and it is fine at "normal" speeds. My problem seems to be more pronounced after it warms up for a few minutes.

Anyone seen anything like this? Im getting tired of chasing my tail.

Thanks a bunch!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-2003, 10:47 PM   #2
Dach
Dach is a jewel in the roughDach is a jewel in the roughDach is a jewel in the rough

Welcome to the boards! Did you clean the IAC? I had a stumbling when cold and under slight acceleration and that was the culprit. Have you checked your coil packs for arcing. In complete darkness open your hood nad look around the packs for traces of bluish light flashing around. You can clean them, but it's a temporary fix. You should also do a search in this forum on 'stumbling' or such to get some other suggestions. Good luck.
Old 09-04-2003, 01:09 PM   #3
hutch109

Quote:
Originally posted by Dach
Did you clean the IAC? Have you checked your coil packs for arcing. In complete darkness open your hood nad look around the packs for traces of bluish light flashing around. You can clean them, but it's a temporary fix.
Thanks for the welcome!

I have not cleaned the IAC yet - I was going to pull the TB next to get that out. I will also pull the coil packs and check for arching. I have cleaned the EGR, but the more I read about it - I might just replace it. I just purchased this car from my sister in law; so Im trying to get everything up to speed. I found the fuel filter was plugged - replaced that - smoothed out quite a bit. Also did a trans fluid exchange - all 17 quarts or so - going to try (Wolfmans?) the reverse cleaning to just make sure.

The biggest problem right now seems to be a "lack of power" on the low end - it almost feels like a '2nd gear start' sometimes. I don't think its tranny related - just feels that way. Also, I have noticed, it seems to be more pronounced after a hot soak, with the A/C on.

Any other thoughts would be appreciated! Thanks
Old 09-05-2003, 12:07 AM   #4
Dr. Bob
Master Member
Dr. Bob is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The biggest problem right now seems to be a "lack of power" on the low end
You have the 85 horsepower SOHC combined with an automatic transaxle - that's the slowest drivetrain combination you can get. Later versions of the SOHC delivered 100 HP.

Quote:
I have cleaned the EGR, but the more I read about it - I might just replace it.
That's what I'm thinking, but I'm not familiar with the EGR systems on the 92s - but I think there is a valve part and a vacuum actuator part (or something like that). Maybe one of the techs can clarify this. Later years used a single unit with an electric solenoid controlled valve.

I'm sure one of the techs will be around and post some tips.
Old 09-05-2003, 12:12 AM   #5
Dr. Bob
Master Member
Dr. Bob is on a distinguished road

One other thing - you may want to check for vacuum leaks.
Old 09-05-2003, 08:08 AM   #6
TedL
TedL is on a distinguished road

Make absolutely certain that your spark plug wires run from the correct terminals on the coil pack to the correct plugs. Don't ask about the two weeks I spent chasing this down!
Old 09-06-2003, 01:10 PM   #7
hutch109

Thumbs Up UPDATE!

Friday I decided I was going to tear everything apart until I fixed this problem.

I understand that car is not going to a speed rocket - but this is a pronouced drivability problem - and not just being lame and weak.

I pulled the new plugs, again, they looked fine - I replaced them with the OEM plugs per some other tips I found on this great board. In the process of doing that, one of the new wires pulled off - so on with another new set of premium wires. While they were out, I pulled the ignition module and coil packs off - another post suggested NOT using dielectric grease on the connections - I found a small amount of carbon tracing on the coils - but not enough to worry about - cleaned it anyway.

Pulled the EGR back off, and replaced the valve - as after cleaning I was getting a code 32 - and also with a new metal gasket.

Pulled the throttle body assy. off to check for any buildup on the bottom side - it was surprisingly clean for 117,000 miles - however, I cleaned it some more with cleaner. I pulled the IAC valve out and cleaned that also. Then I replaced the gasket, and reassembled it all.

I also did a compression check, it appears all 4 cylinders were about 195 lbs - so I was pretty happy with that.

Pulled all grounds and polished them up.

Put it all back together - it fired right up. Yippie! NOT! Take it for a test drive and I still have that pronounced hesitation - it feels like a second gear start! And it appears worse when hot. But I did seem to solve most of the slight rough run.

At this point, Im not real happy! I still had my MT2500 scanner attached and on the way back, something cought my eye - PCM B+ 12.1 volts - and NOT rising...

Pull back in and put a ferret analyzer on the electrical system - charging voltage at idle - 12.5 volts - at 2000 RPM, 12.6 volts? Hmm - starting to think bad alternator - check amperage output - 78 amps! Alternator is full fielding at 12 volts - at idle - that has to be good for it...

Replace battery - charging volts at idle - 13.8 - 22 amps - wow, what a difference. Load the alternator up (cooling fan, A/C, headlights) and its about a smooth 40 amps...

Test drive it - WOW, so far its smooth as can be - runs smoother now - than it did new

Not sure what to say - but keep an eye on the 'basics' - the PCM should function down till about 10.5 volts - but it was not happy. Transmission needed good volts, as well as the rest of the system - which it was not getting.

I think I may have found it - any changes I will post - I hope this can help someone in the future - as this was quite the challange. I forgot to mention - I checked voltages before anything was done and it was fine - it appears the battery has an intermittent internal problem.

Yippie!!!
Old 09-06-2003, 01:39 PM   #8
TedL
TedL is on a distinguished road

Thanks for coming back to tell us what you found.
Old 09-06-2003, 01:53 PM   #9
Dach
Dach is a jewel in the roughDach is a jewel in the roughDach is a jewel in the rough

WOW, great job investigating/solving that one! Yes, thanks for keeping us updated on the prob. Many post probs, get numerous possible fixes but you never hear back what the solution was. This will be one thread that will definitely add to the already immense knowledge base that is Saturnfans.
Old 09-06-2003, 05:26 PM   #10
bennett9000
bennett9000 has a spectacular aura aboutbennett9000 has a spectacular aura about

VERY fascinating results. Indeed, thanks for following up so thoroughly. I'd have NEVER expected this outcome from your early descriptions...
-Andy

01 SL1 (2011-2014) 99 SW2 (2002-2009) 95 SL2 (1997-2002)
00 ROUSH Cougar V6 03 SVT Focus #2370 08 Mustang Bullitt #5389 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
Closed Thread