SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech

Old 04-25-2011, 10:02 AM   #1
awilt
awilt is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default What wires where??

I got 4 wires going to my starter and I'm wondering where they all go? I know where the red wire goes and sma with the one coming out of the starter but where does the purple wire and black wire go?
awilt is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2011, 10:44 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: What wires where??

(4)Four wires? Normally, there are only three wires; the large red battery cable and smaller red(?) cable (going to the alternator) attached to the large outer starter solenoid terminal, and the small purple wire attaches to the small starter solenoid terminal. The black wire is a mystery................it better not be a ground wire.
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:04 PM   #3
awilt

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Thanks for the help. I think i got it wired correctly now
Old 04-26-2011, 09:10 AM   #4
awilt

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Here is what there is for the starter; a Purple wire to the small bolt, a large red wire to the bolt closest to the block, and a black wire with a fuse in the wire that is also one the smaller bolt. Is any of that correct?
Old 04-26-2011, 05:09 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

This might help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2000 L200 start wiring 1.jpg (130.7 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg 2000 L200 start wiring 2.jpg (98.6 KB, 24 views)
VCX NANO
Old 04-28-2011, 12:52 PM   #6
awilt

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

That helped alittle. I still dont know were to put the black wire. Someone told me to put it to ground and see what it does
Old 04-28-2011, 01:25 PM   #7
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

By chance is this wiring used in place of the fusible link wire that goes to the alternator? If I'm not mistaken, fusible link wire is red colored like the battery cable.
VCX NANO
Old 04-29-2011, 08:10 PM   #8
awilt

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

That could be. It would go on with the other red right?
Old 04-29-2011, 09:12 PM   #9
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Yes. Review the wiring diagram from post #5; there are only two red wires attached to the starter solenoid, battery and fusible link wire. The fusible link wire leaves the drawing on the left and enters the drawing on the right (on the left side) to attach onto the alternator. If the original alternator fusible link wire was damaged and replaced, any wire will do as well as insulation color. This wire is actually calibrated by gauge to restrict a short from occurring if something internal to the alternator shorted to prevent battery damage. The alternator charging flows from its grounded frame back to the battery. If a new wire was created from scratch and a fuse was installed, this will work. To be sure this black wire is the fusible link to the alternator, you can do several tests.

A simple visual inspection is made to follow this black wire and hopefully end at the alternator case side post. The wire should also be the same gauge and color. Now just make a continuity test to measure the two ends; a meter probe on one end of this wire (disconnected and hanging freely) with the other probe on the other end of this wire should display low resistance or continuity to verify this is the same wire from end to end. If not then this mystery wire is going somewhere, perhaps to engine/frame ground? A second continuity test to check this wire as a ground can be made from the end off the starter solenoid to engine/frame/chassis ground.

If the first continuity test is positive to the alternator then all's well. Attach this wire along with the battery cable to the starter solenoid. Turning the ignition ON and waiting a few seconds should have only three red lights ON; battery, oil, e-brake. The battery light indicates power and the alternator isn't running/charging. Start the engine and this light and oil light should turn off. As long as the battery light stays off the alternator is now supplying all the electrical needs of the car as well as charge the battery.

If the first continuity test displays no continuity this wire doesn't belong attached to the starter solenoid. There must be a fusible link wire that runs from the alternator case side terminal to the starter solenoid.
VCX NANO

Last edited by fdryer; 04-29-2011 at 09:18 PM.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:56 AM   #10
awilt

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

K. I'm thinking it goes to ground. I tried to put it on the starter teminal but it doesn't fit. So im going to try with it on a ground
Old 05-03-2011, 08:18 AM   #11
awilt

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I'm looking to find were a ground wire goes in the area for the starter. I figured that out cause i hooked up the battery and it didnt start and the blower motor didnt work. So do know were that ground might go?
Old 05-03-2011, 08:32 AM   #12
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I'm not sure of what you're doing. All grounds are the engine block and chassis. Think of the entire car as ground. Most of the wiring are either low voltage signals or 12v for power. The starter and alternator body are ground, the internal wiring is fed 12v.
VCX NANO
Old 05-03-2011, 08:49 AM   #13
awilt

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Oh ok. Well i wasnt sure where alll the ground wires go
Old 05-06-2011, 09:24 AM   #14
awilt

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Ok I still dont know where this wire goes. Everything works execpt the starter and the HVAC. Im not sure if the clutch disengagement works or not. I have been trying to figure this out for a while now and its starting to piss me off. Any help?
Old 05-06-2011, 01:12 PM   #15
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

If you click on each attachment on post #5 you can see where wiring goes. The drawing can be enlarged to any size if its not clear.

The starter only needs two wires with ground being the starter case mounted to the engine block. The two wires needed to make the starter work are the battery and small purple wire that attaches to the starter solenoid's small terminal. This small wire is the START (12v) signal from the ignition switch when the key is turned to the START position. This START/12v signal powers the starter solenoid that makes the loud click while it closes a large set of contacts that sends battery voltage from the battery cable connection to the starter motor. LOUD click followed by the starter motor running and turning the engine over. You can test the starter by simply using a screwdriver to short the battery terminal to the small terminal (large terminal with the battery cable attached to the small terminal with the purple wire attached. Be sure the transmission is in Park or neutral position, wheels blocked and front end up on jack stands. Leave the ignition switch OFF as the starter running won't get the engine running if the ignition is left OFF.

The third wire is the fusible link wire that runs from the same place as the battery cable connection on the starter solenoid to the alternator stud on the side of the alternator. This wire is normally a red wire but if it was replaced with another wire it can be any color. Just examine the alternator for this wire. Its connected to the side of the alternator on an insulated stud because this HOT wire powers the diode pack.

Make a separate post about the HVAC issue to keep this thread about starting/wiring issues.
VCX NANO
Old 05-09-2011, 03:22 PM   #16
awilt

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Ok the starter works when shorted, but it won't work when tryed with the key. So would that be a problem with the clutch safety switch?

I got the wires for that system in the right place, but I still have a unknown wire. By looking at other wiring diagrams all black wires go to gound execpt a black going to the Heater Water Pump. But I dont know where that is. So I'm thinking that the unknown black goes there but I'm not sure.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:52 PM   #17
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Ok, try this; with the car carefully blocked from moving and front end up on jack stands, measure the black wire for voltage while someone turns the ignition key to the START position. Either the transmission is left in Park or Neutral for the start circuit to work. Turning the ignition key to the START position sends 12v from the ignition switch yellow wiring to the neutral safety start switch and the fuse box before this wire turns to purple (or black?) and ending at the small wire that's supposed to be attached to the small terminal on the starter solenoid. Releasing the ignition key should remove 12v from this wire if this wire is the START wire.
VCX NANO
Old 05-11-2011, 03:16 PM   #18
awilt

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Ok it starts and runs now, but the starter is loud. Also I found two wires not in a plug, traced them and found that they went to the tempature sensor. How do I fix that electrical problem? And is it drivable without the temp sensor?
Old 05-11-2011, 06:44 PM   #19
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

The coolant sensor is a major part of the EFI system. It supplies crucial temperature signals so the engine computer can figure out the air/fuel mixtures. Without it the EFI system will run the engine extremely rich and/or flood the engine since it doesn't know what the coolant temperature is. It must be connected and shouldn't be driven until repaired and connected to the coolant sensor.

1-What do you mean by a loud starter? Is it running with the engine when the ignition key is released from the START position?

2-Are the two wires black and yellow? If so then the connector is the one below. "A" is the black wire, "B" is the yellow wire. Either find one exactly like it from a local junk yard or use some imagination to devise a connector. Perhaps a pc connector? Two female connectors that can be soldered to the wires and inserted to the coolant sensor and sealed with silicone caulking? The individual female connectors must fit snugly in order to make good electrical connections. If you cannot locate the correct connector perhaps visiting a local Radio Shack or electronics store will have someone to help you find brass female connectors to fit into each pin on the coolant sensor. You may have to remove the sensor for show and tell.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ects.jpg (217.6 KB, 6 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ects connector.pdf (15.0 KB, 4 views)
VCX NANO
Old 05-11-2011, 07:40 PM   #20
awilt

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Thanks for the info.

For the starter, the starter is loud when it is in the start position on the key. Like when starting the starter is loud and scares other people, but when engine is running and not on the starter it normal. A buddy of mine told me that I need a new starter, is that true?