SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech

Old 05-01-2011, 10:47 PM   #1
Av8r
Av8r is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default 2001 L200 flooding in one cylinder

Car has been driving perfectly fine for a while, no problems until this afternoon when I went to start her up. Turned it over, started, then it started chugging. I shut it down, white smoke coming out the tailpipe. I pulled the ignition module and plugs, those tested OK, spark on all 4. While testing that I noticed a large amount of fuel blowing out of #1, probably 3x the amount that was coming out of the others. Immediately suspected a failed/stuck injector. Tried the stethoscope, but couldn't pick out the ticking of the injector over other engine sounds. I pulled the fuel rail and the injector for #1. Fuel pressure regulator diaphragm seems ok. I put a low-amp 12V to the injector, and it would click each time I put power to it. It did seem to be working since some residual fuel seeped out each time I put power to it.

The only thing I haven't done yet that I can think of is putting a test light on the injector harness and seeing what happens.

So my guess is that the injector itself is ok, but that it is being commanded to stay on by a wiring or PCM fault. Once I get my test light back tomorrow I'll post an update.

If anyone has any other ideas I'm all ears!

Don
Av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2011, 04:44 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 2001 L200 flooding in one cylinder

A large amount of fuel(?) from cylinder #1 and white smoke out the tail pipe? White smoke at the wrong time usually indicates steam and sudden steam generation well after the engine was warmed up usually means a blown head gasket. If its cylinder #1, are you sure its fuel blowing it when it may be coolant and fuel? Checking coolant level and/or bubbling in the container would corroborate a blown head gasket.
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 11:17 PM   #3
Av8r

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

It is definitely fuel. Coolant level is a little above the cold mark and has not changed. It is more than 1 injector now, looks like #1 and #2 are doing the same thing. I put a test light on each injector harness, and there is no pulsing, the light is on solid from the point I turn the key to the RUN position, right through starting and running. Looks like I have some troubleshooting to do. Going to check out #3 and 4 tomorrow, didn't have the time tonight, plus I needed a break from the fumes.

Last edited by Av8r; 05-02-2011 at 11:30 PM.
Old 05-08-2011, 03:32 PM   #4
Av8r

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Haven't had a chance to work on this for a few days. Was thinking possibly a problem with the return line, driving the fuel pressure up. Not the case though since I just verified the pressure to be around 55psi with a tester.

Flooring the accelerator does cut off fuel completely, so the injectors are at least closing on command.

I'll post more as I dig deeper into it.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:56 AM   #5
Av8r

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

OK, working on narrowing this down. Most likely an electrical/PCM issue at this point. Checked and cleaned grounds, they weren't in the best of shape, but this didn't help resolve the problem. Still have large quantities of fuel getting dumped into the cylinders.

As far as wiring between the PCM and injectors, any known issues? I know there is an inline ground under the intake manifold, this looked ok and shows no signs of damage.

So here is what I have so far: Fuel pressure 55 PSI, should be good. Cleaned main ground points. Injectors stop gushing fuel when accelerator is floored, as soon as you back off it starts gushing again. I've removed the fuel rail and injectors, cleaning everything and putting new O-rings on for re-assembly, so that is all tight and right. No MIL yet, but I don't dare run it long enough to try to set any. I did get a Fuel SYS1/SYS2 OL fault on the scanner a few minutes ago when I did run it to test it.

This one has me going in circles now, wish I had more test equipment!
Old 05-09-2011, 01:21 AM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Something is shorting and allowing injectors to run when the ground signal is controlled by the pcm to switch each injector. Wiring has 12v applied to each injector when ignition is ON, making all injectors HOT and ready to fire as soon as a ground signal is given by the pcm. Look at what you've done so far.

With no throttle you found one or two injectors ON when they should be OFF and waiting for the engine to turn over. The cps signals provide tiiming for the pcm to synch injector pulses. No engine turn over, no cps signals, no injector pulses. No injector pulses means no ground signal to turn on any injector until cps timing signals can be used by the pcm to coordinate fuel and ignition precisely.

Holding the throttle wide open told the pcm to shut off injectors so this part of the program works. What's causing the injectors to stay turned ON is either the pcm sending constant ground signals or the harness is shorted to ground.

Examine the injector harness carefully. Disconnect the injector harness altogether and check fuel pressure to see if fuel is leaking past a broken injector.
VCX NANO
Old 05-10-2011, 12:05 AM   #7
Av8r

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Yes, either the PCM is constantly grounding the circuit, or the harness itself is shorted to ground. Should have a final answer tomorrow night. Worked through the flow charts on it tonight and at least made some progress.

Hoping it isn't the PCM, but my hunch is that is the culprit here. Will try to find one at the yard to temporarily swap in to test if it comes down to that being the final conclusion.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:54 AM   #8
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Would pulling power to the ecm/pcm reset it?
VCX NANO
Old 05-10-2011, 08:17 AM   #9
Av8r

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I have disconnected the battery while working on it, but can try pulling all the connections off the PCM to see if that makes a difference. Need to get a full day of work in on it, but my real job gets in the way.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:33 PM   #10
Av8r

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Did a PCM reset tonight. Injector #2 started to work normally, put a test light on it and it pulsed like it should. #1 completely stopped working. So it looks like a PCM issue. Will look for an exact replacement tomorrow at a yard. I have a manual trans, so it might not be easy. Will research that issue on here tonight.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:10 PM   #11
Av8r

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

So much for finding a PCM for my manual Satty, only ones in the yards around here are auto. Guess I'll keep looking!