SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2008, 09:28 PM   #1
CaptainMouse64
CaptainMouse64 is on a distinguished road

2002 SL1
Question 02' SL1 'Reverse Slam' gasket numbers?

Hi guys, it is me again on my quest to repair the reverse slam I am having in my 2002 SL1, with 83,242 miles.

It is getting worse! Now it is slamming twice - right before it hits second gear, then when it hits second gear! Yikes.

My problem is this. I would be so thankful if someone knew the numbers or where to look online! I have hit so many online parts stores that claim to have everything yet come up short when I look for these gaskets!

I want to go to my local Saturn dealer since they are very nice ( at least in the parts department ) but I need to find out the exact Saturn part numbers for the gaskets in wolfman's 'reverse slam' fix.

( http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...t=reverse+slam )

I think the gaskets are called:

"Valve body pan gasket"

and

"Transmission side cover gasket"

I hope when I get those that I will have everything I need!

I already have the input shaft nut, ( I expected it to be bigger! lol ) and the thinwall 12pt 23mm socket. ( went all over town for this, Napa had it on the freaking shelf!)

I am going to order real soon probably early next week the actual rebuilt valve body from a fellow member here who has been VERY helpful, Special Forces. I have read enough to trust him but if anyone here has bought a rebuilt valve body from him how is it going? I have only heard good things.

I just need to read up on the theft prevention thingy with the radio before I remove the battery. I would hate for my repair to trigger something that makes me unable to use the car!

I intend to take some pictures of the repair like others have done, but I am going to try to get pictures of the little steps that are not shown so future drivers who need the repair will have an even easier time than I have had.

I have been at this for a month and a half doing heavy research. I have learned so much about my car in that time and I did not even do the repair yet!

If you know those part numbers OR where to find them, please share? ( I have looked online for hours and cannot find the exact part number for my 2002 Saturn SL1 Engine code 8! )

- A different kind of company, a different kind of car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CaptainMouse64's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CaptainMouse64 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CaptainMouse64 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-2008, 07:31 AM   #2
MichelleG
MichelleG will become famous soon enoughMichelleG will become famous soon enough

Default Re: 02' SL1 'Reverse Slam' gasket numbers?

Axiom -Transtar industries web, scroll down, there is a TAAT *.pdf exploded view you may want to print out - P/n's from this equal to the OEM Saturn's P/N are the 2100XXXX part numbers.

Go to http://www.transtarindustries.com/ca...strIDS=180,241
http://www.transtarindustries.com/ca...strIDS=180,241

Perhaps others might chime in on this FWIW.....
I have had my valve body cover off 3 times and never replaced this VB cover pan gasket. It came off easily,without apparent damage. It is rather robust, metal bonded with PVC-ish material-type. So far not leaking (jinxed myself now huh?).

It is not a thin easily ripped paper type like the side cover is, which is probably 100% replacement each time off (I have had side cover off twice and needed new ones both times due to frail paper).

I believe you want the:
Side cover gasket P/N 21001684.
Input nut P/N 21001680 and Output nut P/N 21001679.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MichelleG's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MichelleG reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MichelleG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 08:09 AM   #3
rickystarshine
rickystarshine has a spectacular aura aboutrickystarshine has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: 02' SL1 'Reverse Slam' gasket numbers?

Along with everything MichelleG said, you might as well replace the output shaft nut too, while you have access to it, just go by the part number in MichelleG's post.

Good Luck!

Rick

2005 ION 2 5 spd 202,155 miles
2001 SL1 Auto 298,252 miles
1997 Sl1 Auto 163,266 miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rickystarshine's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rickystarshine reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rickystarshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 11:39 AM   #4
CaptainMouse64

2002 SL1
Heart Re: 02' SL1 'Reverse Slam' gasket numbers?

Thank you MichelleG! And to rickystarshine!

MichelleG, for some reason the links you put up are not working for me, but you put me on the right track and I did some digging on that website.

I found the following, is this what you were talking about?

( Saturn Transmission TAAT FWD 4 Speed )

http://www.transtarindustries.com/ca...D=1&strIDS=1,5

If that does not work here is the link to the .PDF document on Saturn Transmission parts, etc..

( Clicking on the link below will start a download for the PDF, and then it will be displayed or saved on your computer )

http://www.transtarindustries.com/ca...oad.asp?ID=283

In that .PDF file there are a few gaskets, including the number of the one you already knew. I just can't figure out which one is the valve body cover pan gasket. There are 4 gaskets listed, and like I said you already knew the first one, so it has to be one of the remaining four. Another one is for years 91-96, so that leaves 2.

Is it

1: Gasket Top Cover - Molded Rubber P/N: 21003202

or

2: Gasket Case to Converter Housing P/N: 21002265

This is some great info that I am sure others would need in the future so I am so happy about this community!

Thank you!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help CaptainMouse64 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-03-2008, 10:20 AM   #5
CaptainMouse64

2002 SL1
Heart Re: 02' SL1 'Reverse Slam' gasket numbers?

Anyone know if what I said is true? I am eager to go buy the parts and order the valve body.

Thanks for your help!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!