SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2020, 06:01 PM   #1
merovie
merovie has a spectacular aura aboutmerovie has a spectacular aura aboutmerovie has a spectacular aura about

Default reset computer? Oil change warning

I changed my oil about a month ago but the change oil warning started coming on. I checked and it was low (not sure why) but I filled it back to normal and the warning was still coming on. So I disconnected the positive cable on the battery (maybe for not long enough? About three or four minutes) hoping that would reset the computer but it didn't. I hope it isn't the sensor (like my coolant sensor - it keeps coming on but there's absolutely nothing wrong with the cooling system - the sensor is just broken or dirty or something)

What can I do to make the oil change warning stop?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to merovie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help merovie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
merovie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2020, 09:18 PM   #2
imaddicted2u
imaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE
Default Re: reset computer? Oil change warning

What year is your Ion?

2008 Saturn Aura XE 3.5L 4 spd
2000 Saturn SL1 1.9L SOHC (Retired)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to imaddicted2u's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help imaddicted2u reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
imaddicted2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 01:09 AM   #3
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by merovie View Post
I changed my oil about a month ago but the change oil warning started coming on. I checked and it was low (not sure why) but I filled it back to normal and the warning was still coming on...

What can I do to make the oil change warning stop?
Do you not have an Owner's Handbook for your car? If you do have one then what you need to know is found within its pages. Let us know what you learn from it.

329,000 miles - Holy canolli!
A leftist, deep-stater will get the nomination for POTUS. What follows if he gets his way? A bad economy, weak military, increased terrorism and a greater RED CHINA.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 01:42 AM   #4
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to behold

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

GM uses an application-specific algorithm to adjust the oil change interval based engine characteristics, driving habits and the climate in which the vehicle is operated. Mileage and engine runtime are not part of the equation. GM has been using the Engine Oil Life System since 1988 on more expensive models. By the the late 1990s, virtually all GM vehicles were equipped with this feature. The remaining oil life percentage is only viewable with a scantool in most models made before the mid-2000s (including the Ion).

The oil itself isn't physically monitored (aside from oil pressure) so the computer has no way to tell when the oil has been changed. This is why it is necessary to reset the Engine Oil Life System every time you change the oil. It appears that you didn't do this when you changed the oil a month ago. I've posted an excerpt from the owners manual below for resetting it in the Ion (the instructions are the same for all Ions). The key must be in the RUN position to reset the Engine Oil Life System.

1. Press and release the trip/reset button until
the OIL LIFE message is displayed.
2. Then press and hold the trip/reset button until
a chime sounds five times, and RESET is
displayed in the message center.
When the system is reset, the odometer will
again be displayed in the message center.
3. Turn the ignition key to LOCK.

Because the oil life system will have been reset long after the last oil change, I'd recommend changing the oil after 5,000 miles or 1 year - whichever comes first. FWIW the CHG OIL message in my Ion usually appears after 5000-6000 miles. The owners manual recommends changing the oil within 600 miles after the CHG OIL message is first displayed.

2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 183K miles
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 195K miles
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L 48K miles

Last edited by ruley73; 03-19-2020 at 01:47 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ruley73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 09:49 AM   #5
merovie
merovie has a spectacular aura aboutmerovie has a spectacular aura aboutmerovie has a spectacular aura about

Thanks!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to merovie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help merovie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
merovie is offline   Reply With Quote