SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2020, 03:04 PM   #1
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2007 AURA XR
2001 SC2
Default VVT Solenoid issues.

Hello, haven't been here in the Aura section for a while. in 2013 I traded my 2008 Aura XE in and bought a 2011 Camaro SS. Still have the Camaro, but recently picked up a 2007 Aura XR with the 3.6L V6. Unfortunately some issues have popped up and I'm thinking it may be related to the VVT solenoids.

Purchased the car a few weeks ago from the original owner. Has a little over 200k miles. Inside and out is in immaculate condition. Almost looks brand new. Carfax shows a huge list of maintenance records since the car was new, but nothing specific to whats been done.

Symptoms are:

-Slightly rough idle at times. Nothing drastic, but noticeable. RPM fluctuates a couple hundred RPM with a slight vibration.

-Engine occasionally bogs under load and driving up hill. Also if I give it increased throttle at highway speeds to pass. At lower speeds and flat ground, acceleration is ok. If I continue giving it throttle, sometimes it will stumble a bit then accelerate. Other times I have to briefly let back on the throttle and them get it more and it goes.

-No codes

Thank you.......

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Limited Edition SC2 (#78)
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2007 Saturn Aura XR
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2020, 09:03 PM   #2
imaddicted2u
imaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE
Default Re: VVT Solenoid issues.

Tough to diagnose without it throwing any codes.
Here is some info on VVT symptoms.
https://www.yourmechanic.com/article...g-vvt-solenoid

2008 Saturn Aura XE 3.5L 4 spd
2000 Saturn SL1 1.9L SOHC (Retired)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to imaddicted2u's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help imaddicted2u reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
imaddicted2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 12:11 AM   #3
bunginherent
bunginherent is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
Hello, haven't been here in the Aura section for a while. in 2013 I traded my 2008 Aura XE in and bought a 2011 Camaro SS. Still have the Camaro, but recently picked up a 2007 Aura XR with the 3.6L V6. Unfortunately some issues have popped up and I'm thinking it may be related to the VVT solenoids.

Purchased the car a few weeks ago from the original owner. Has a little over 200k miles. Inside and out is in immaculate condition. Almost looks brand new. Carfax shows a huge list of maintenance records since the car was new, but nothing specific to whats been done.

Symptoms are:

-Slightly rough idle at times. Nothing drastic, but noticeable. RPM fluctuates a couple hundred RPM with a slight vibration.

-Engine occasionally bogs under load and driving up hill. Also if I give it increased throttle at highway speeds to pass. At lower speeds and flat ground, acceleration is ok. If I continue giving it throttle, sometimes it will stumble a bit then accelerate. Other times I have to briefly let back on the throttle and them get it more and it goes.

-No codes

Thank you.......
This is an absolute help to a new car owner like me, thanks for this!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bunginherent's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bunginherent reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bunginherent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 02:58 PM   #4
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2007 AURA XR
2001 SC2

Turn out my issue wasn't the VVT solenoids, it was the plugs and coils. Confirmed by using my OBDII app and monitoring cylinder misfires during my commute to and from work.

Found the plugs needed replacing and while I was at it, replaced the coils too.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Limited Edition SC2 (#78)
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2007 Saturn Aura XR
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 06:12 PM   #5
imaddicted2u
imaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE

Good news, everyone likes a happy ending.

2008 Saturn Aura XE 3.5L 4 spd
2000 Saturn SL1 1.9L SOHC (Retired)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to imaddicted2u's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help imaddicted2u reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
imaddicted2u is offline   Reply With Quote