SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2018, 02:33 PM   #21
19boneatock88
19boneatock88 is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Sedan
2006 ION-2 Quad Coupe
Default Re: Car will not start after seats removed, help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
As suggested before and still applicable with a different starter, did you try shorting the starter battery terminal connection to the smaller terminal oon the starter? Leave ignition OFF so you won't have the engine startup. All this does is test battery cable connection, ground connection (starter case to engine block and ground connection to battery negative). The starter should run and crank the engine. If you do this, you'll verify the battery connections and starter are fine. This does not test the starting circuit. Performing a starter test can help narrow this problem.

The starting circuit is electronic. Ions were part of GMs ignition switch recall to replace faulty igniting switches. Was this done on your car? The symptoms are all the same, intermittent starting failure with security flashing during starting. Even if the ignition switch was replaced, this doesn't eliminate a possible starting circuit problem. Electronics used in starting circuits can be difficult to troubleshoot because turning the ignition switch to the START position sends a signal to the engine computer to command starter operation. Similar to push button starting, starting is electronically controlled. If you can read wiring diagrams, the starting circuit was posted in other Ion threads or I can repost it again if you can't find it.
The car did have the switch recall done, I verified the day after I bought the car...

Are you wanting me to run at wire from battery positive all the way directly to starter? I did jump across the solenoid and the motor seemed to run but the bendix didn't engage, maybe I needed to jump to the smaller terminal on the solenoid?

My next thought is to check all the ground straps, how many are there under the hood? I know about the one between the left side of the chassis to the block, are there any others?

Jerama- WV

2004 Saturn Ion-2 sedan
L61/F23(M86), 139k...
Too many mods to list in sig...

“Stock” is nowhere in my vocabulary...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 19boneatock88's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 19boneatock88 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
19boneatock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-2018, 02:56 PM   #22
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Starter test at the starter terminals; jumper across the small starter terminal to the battery connected terminal on the starter. A distance of less than three inches between terminals. Leave the ignition switch OFF.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 04:30 PM   #23
19boneatock88

2004 ION-2 Sedan
2006 ION-2 Quad Coupe

IF the engine turns over, what does this tell us? IF it doesn't?

Jerama- WV

2004 Saturn Ion-2 sedan
L61/F23(M86), 139k...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 19boneatock88 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-21-2018, 06:12 PM   #24
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Read post #18 again.

1-If the starter runs and cranks the engine, the starter, battery cables and main ground connections are fine. If not or starter has a hard time powering on, there's a power issue with both battery cables, their connections to starter and chassis/engine grounds.

2-Presuming the starter passes the 1st step above, the problem is pointing to the starting circuit electronics.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-23-2018, 12:58 PM   #25
19boneatock88

2004 ION-2 Sedan
2006 ION-2 Quad Coupe

I got it to start! Sort of...

I wanted to absolutely rule out the battery so I used wife’s car for a proper jump start (couldn’t before due to roommate’s truck blocking garage door), charging the battery for almost 30 min before trying anything, and the car would crank over and start... I did this a few times but never left it running and as soon as I unhooked wife’s car, mine refused to start anymore... I’m guessing it’s a bad battery but could also be bad cables that need massive current to overcome resistance...

The starter I swapped in is also bad, it squeals briefly after the car starts... it was pretty greasy, so the bendix could be a little sticky... it could go away or I could end up having to replace it... I broke the little terminal off the solenoid on the original starter on its way out...

Jerama- WV

2004 Saturn Ion-2 sedan
L61/F23(M86), 139k...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-23-2018, 01:20 PM   #26
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

If you're in doubt about battery issues, either drive to any auto store selling car batteries and ask them to test your battery or bring the battery to them for in-store bench tests. A battery will have one of three issues - partially discharged and needs charging after a load test, good as is after a load test or dead. AutoZone is nationally a front runner for providing free services for battery and alternator testing. Most moderate priced car batteries, excluding Optima, last around 4-6 years and die.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-25-2018, 12:17 AM   #27
19boneatock88

2004 ION-2 Sedan
2006 ION-2 Quad Coupe

I’ll orobabky try and revive a spare battery that’s sitting in my nonfunctional Redline before buying a new one but a cheap battery from Wal-Mart is like $50 plus core

Jerama- WV

2004 Saturn Ion-2 sedan
L61/F23(M86), 139k...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!