SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 12:36 PM   #1
dtm1962
dtm1962 is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L
2005 ION-2 Sedan
Default Solution Found:!!!! for Passenger Side Windshield Wind Noise/Rattle

I 've had a noise comimg from the windshield ares on the passenger side since I bought my 2005 Ion 2 Sedan.

The noise would only seem to happen when I had a fairly strong crosswind going from the driver's side towards the passenger side during my travels.

I intially brought it in and the Tech adjusted the trim piece (that you can have color co-ordinated that run from windshield back to rear window - I forget what you call it) but to no avail.

I would travel to the dealer (going east) and the noise would have disappeared before I can let the Tech go for a ride. SO when I return home going West the Noise would reappear!

So I investigated and discovered that the metal bracket that secures the ANTENNA to the body will make contact with the Plastic body piece ONLY when you flex the antenna and let it vibrate back and forth from Drivers Side to Passengers Side as a CROSSWIND would do and that ANNOYING sound results.

If you flex the antenna and let go in a front & rear direction - NO CONTACT and No annoying rattle!!

Check it out for yourself. Maybe my antenna mounting is a little Off-center or my plastic body panels are misaligned , OR it is a DESIGN Defect.

Let me know what you guys found!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dtm1962's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dtm1962 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2005, 11:47 AM   #2
dtm1962
dtm1962 is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L
2005 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: Solution Found:!!!! for Passenger Side Windshield Wind Noise/Rattle

UPDATE:

In order to stop the rattle I stuff a piece of 1/4" square by 4" weatherstipping foam around the base of the antenna and it eliminates the base making contact with body panels. It limits its travel and isolates the base & panels and minimizes the rattle.

FYI : The antenna & base is only secured to the plastic vetical part of fender via a two hole half clamp similar to a electrical conduit or copper pipe support. This allows much more "sloppy" movement then the conventional method of securing thru the top of the metal fenders like other cars.

Has anyone else experience this noise/rattle????

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dtm1962's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dtm1962 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-03-2005, 11:56 AM   #3
saturn_69
Master Member
saturn_69 will become famous soon enough

Yes, but I didn't know what it was coming from. It sounds more towards the front of the car on mine. I'll have to try it. Thanks.

"That government is best which governs not at all; and when men are prepared for it, that will be the kind of government which they will have" - H.D. Thoreau

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturn_69's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturn_69 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-04-2005, 07:38 AM   #4
mr weather
mr weather is on a distinguished road

Wow, I've experienced the same sound, particularly in a strong head/crosswind. I'll have to check the antenna mount to see.

Thanks for the tip!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mr weather's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mr weather reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread