SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2019, 08:46 PM   #6161
98_Gold_Uranus
98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2
Default Re: What did you do to your S-Series today...

Put the headliner back in finally. Have left it out for a while to make sure my sunroof fix wasn't leaking any more, and I feel confident saying that the leaks are all gone

Also installed my freshly repaired recirculation motor with it's 3D printed gear and it works perfect!

While I was under there messing with that motor, I went ahead and pulled the blower motor to see if there was any crap built up around the evaporator, as I read that's pretty common on these cars.

Stuck my phone up there and snapped a pick. Much to my surprise, it actually wasn't all that bad.

Still got what was in there out though. Stuck my hand up into the hole for the blower motor, about elbow deep lol. Pulled most of the leaves out, but there was a lot that I couldn't get too. So I took some compressed air to it. Wasn't ready for all the nastiness that came flying out lol.

But it's pretty darn clean now! Better than it was anyway lol. Not sure it made much, if any, of a difference in the AC cooling, but it's nice knowing that it's cleaned out.

98 SL2, 70k miles, kept in the family since new!

Her name is Uranus :)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 98_Gold_Uranus's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 98_Gold_Uranus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
98_Gold_Uranus is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2019, 09:11 PM   #6162
A2Saturn
A2Saturn is on a distinguished road

1994 SL1

Registered for the Oct. 19 Extinct Car Show event at Larz Anderson in Brookline, MA.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to A2Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help A2Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
A2Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 10:17 PM   #6163
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

I removed the exploded compact spare from the rim. I bought another one of these:

Same as I put on the '99. Just ordered it from Tire Rack tonight.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 07:46 PM   #6164
NWSaturn247
NWSaturn247 will become famous soon enoughNWSaturn247 will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2

Changed oil

~2.8 quart Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5w-40
1 quart Mobil 1 HM 5w-20
~7oz Liquimoly mos2
WIX 51516

1999 SL2 A4 -85k miles
Currently sipping Mobil 1 & LiquiMoly mos2

TCW3 dosed fuel

https://www.ls1.com/forums/f48/been-testing-oil-91206/

1993 SL2 SOLD @189k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NWSaturn247's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NWSaturn247 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NWSaturn247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 07:20 AM   #6165
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to behold

1995 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by focusofheart View Post
Due to prep work done, the fenders were all that were completed yesterday (the roof and hood were done during a prior visit). The doors will be done on Monday and the photo does not do the work justice either (palm trees were reflecting off the rear fenders).

It appears it will take a few more appointments than I realized. The owner is being very picky regarding his work and took the time to really prep the surface of my Saturn as he knew I preferred quality over speed or cost.

Here is a closer look at the challenge the owner undertook. The fenders basically looked like the trunk prior to wrapping.

I am definitely pleased with how my Saturn is turning out.

In the end it will be worth it. Prep work is everything with vinyl, since you can't polish it out after the fact. It looks like the people doing it have their act together.

Alordofchaos is worthy and hides in shadows only to hone his S Series knowledge ninja skills. Swift, silent, trustworthy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Signmaster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Signmaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 10:20 AM   #6166
focusofheart
focusofheart is a jewel in the roughfocusofheart is a jewel in the roughfocusofheart is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiex191 View Post
Cool! Would be interesting to know what the prep work is. I'd like to either wrap or paint my SC2 someday. Paint I've done before.
Proper sanding and cleaning the surface is his prep work, just as in painting.

His work ethic is excellent and I am thankful I came to his shop.

Since the car will stay wrapped, rather than being painted in the future, he can sand as much as he wants to get the surface totally smooth, and the results are wonderful.

Saturn 1998 - SL2
Singer 1952 - 301A

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to focusofheart's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help focusofheart reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
focusofheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 11:44 PM   #6167
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

So as mentioned in the other thread, I put a new temporary spare on my rim today. My intention was to mount my jack. When I bought the car, it had a non-Saturn jack. I got one at LKQ from a Gen 3 wagon. Also I got the associated mounting hardware. It seems they have changed the jack design. Does anybody have a picture of Gen 3 jack mounting? I have to figure out if I can drill a hole somewhere.

Also I know why the trunk does not collect water. A prior owner has drilled a hole.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190911_200719913.jpg (84.8 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190911_195218259.jpg (88.1 KB, 55 views)

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-12-2019, 03:09 AM   #6168
focusofheart
focusofheart is a jewel in the roughfocusofheart is a jewel in the roughfocusofheart is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2

Quote:
Does anybody have a picture of Gen 3 jack mounting? I have to figure out if I can drill a hole somewhere.
I found a video (Fix a Flat Tire: Saturn SL (1991-2002)) that shows where the jack is on our Saturn. Look to the top right and click on #2 -"Find Jack Kit". Is this what you mean?

https://www.carcarekiosk.com/video/2...ge_a_flat_tire

Saturn 1998 - SL2
Singer 1952 - 301A

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help focusofheart reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-12-2019, 07:18 AM   #6169
Waiex191
Master Member

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

That looks like my '98 setup in the trunk. But, there is no hole in the jack for the white headed wing bolt to sneak through and engage the threads. Are wagon jacks different than coupes and sedans?

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-12-2019, 07:41 AM   #6170
trottida
Master Member
trottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud of

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Quote:
That looks like my '98 setup in the trunk. But, there is no hole in the jack for the white headed wing bolt to sneak through and engage the threads. Are wagon jacks different than coupes and sedans?
Nope, they are same.

1999 SL2 MT (287,130 km @ 10/2019)
2012 Ford Focus SEL HB MT
2011 Suburban LT

Past Saturns
2001 SL1 MT (438,500 km 11y)
1993 SW2 AT (10y)
2001 LW200 MT (3.5y)
1992 SL2 MT (5y)

:canada:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 08:18 AM   #6171
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nice

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Seriously considered buying the SW2 an all-aluminum radiator.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F123864440073

Competition Clutch 10Lb. Flywheel. 14 stalls to date (and loving it).
Oil use is 1 ounce per 100 miles with ~230,000 miles on the engine

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bumpdraft's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 08:35 AM   #6172
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

It is a nice addition and not much more than the Will-Leak option.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 08:48 AM   #6173
Waiex191
Master Member

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

That's awesome. Almost makes me wish my OEM radiators would leak so I could get it. Let us know how it works out.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-12-2019, 10:41 AM   #6174
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Nice find on the radiator - the welds look pretty decent, too. Got a new radiator as well so may never need one, but put it on my watchlist just in case

I moved my jack and spare from my 2nd gen (98 SL2) to my 3rd gen (02 SC2) with no issues, so definitely not a generational difference.

The jack and spare in my 3rd gen probably rusted out as there was water in the trunk wells and the PO did not care to drill a hole to let it out - which is odd since the PO had no problems with drilling holes in the radiator support to add some extra horns (nothing wrong with the OEM horn, guess he just wanted more noise)

Wednesday AM, HVAC control knob felt too loose and could not move direction flow from vent to defrost, so drove in to work with slightly foggy windshield bottom on the passenger side.

Wednesday evening, took off the dashpad, dash facia, and stereo. Probably took 5~10 minutes to find the tools, remove the screws, etc. Took about 3 seconds to locate the wire loop and put it back on the control knob. Probably another 15~20 minutes to put it back together. It was hot and very humid (the kind where sweat beads off your arms just sitting there) so I worked up quite a sweat.

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 01:07 PM   #6175
focusofheart

1998 SL2

Quote:
Will this help?

metal slide that jack rests in

I have never bolted in the jack because I never knew I could.

Saturn 1998 - SL2
Singer 1952 - 301A

Last edited by focusofheart; 09-12-2019 at 01:12 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-12-2019, 04:31 PM   #6176
focusofheart

1998 SL2

Quote:
...the white headed wing bolt to sneak through and engage the threads.
Thanks! I was wondering where that white headed wing bolt went and it only took a minute and one threat to get it secured.

Saturn 1998 - SL2
Singer 1952 - 301A

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-12-2019, 04:34 PM   #6177
focusofheart

1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpdraft View Post
Seriously considered buying the SW2 an all-aluminum radiator.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F123864440073
Is this something I should have done to pamper my Saturn? The radiator has never had a problem, just replaced the fan several years ago, and I want it to stay that way.

Saturn 1998 - SL2
Singer 1952 - 301A

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-12-2019, 05:29 PM   #6178
ErikTande
ErikTande is a jewel in the roughErikTande is a jewel in the roughErikTande is a jewel in the roughErikTande is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by focusofheart View Post
Is this something I should have done to pamper my Saturn? The radiator has never had a problem, just replaced the fan several years ago, and I want it to stay that way.
I've replaced the radiators on a couple saturns. Like most modern cars they have plastic end tanks and they all end up cracking and leaking eventually.

A nice aluminum radiator isn't needed if your radiator is working. But when it breaks, it's a nice upgrade, if only for longevity.

http://www.youtube.com/velocitylabs

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ErikTande's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ErikTande reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ErikTande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 05:39 PM   #6179
Waiex191
Master Member

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Interesting - I must have gotten a non-Saturn jack out of the SW2 at LKQ. How do all these people lose their jacks?

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-12-2019, 06:08 PM   #6180
focusofheart

1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikTande View Post
I've replaced the radiators on a couple saturns. Like most modern cars they have plastic end tanks and they all end up cracking and leaking eventually.

A nice aluminum radiator isn't needed if your radiator is working. But when it breaks, it's a nice upgrade, if only for longevity.
I tend to be proactive, so I will purchase it and put it in my stash for the future.

Thank you for your advice.

Saturn 1998 - SL2
Singer 1952 - 301A

REWARD EXCELLENCE!