SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2015, 11:38 PM   #4201
J N Winkler
Advanced Member
J N Winkler is a jewel in the roughJ N Winkler is a jewel in the roughJ N Winkler is a jewel in the rough

1994 SL2
Default Re: What did you do to your S-Series today...

Don't think so--the tires are newish and have plenty of tread depth. I suspect 65 (the posted limit) was just too fast for these ruts.

It was raining more heavily on US 64-412 east of town when I left (I took that highway to connect with I-35) but the pavement was newer and in much better condition, so I just set the cruise for 70, turned on my lights, didn't use the wipers at all (nice fresh Rain-X treatment), and had no problems.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to J N Winkler's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help J N Winkler reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
J N Winkler is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2015, 11:51 PM   #4202
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Depends a lot on the actual water depth on the road and the wind speed and direction. Rain-X is wonderful stuff.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 12:19 AM   #4203
D3VEUS
D3VEUS is on a distinguished road

1999 SL

I looked at mine today. Debated doing the transmission job, but eh. Lol. Gonna do it tomorrow, got a buddy that's gonna help.

-D3VEUS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to D3VEUS's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help D3VEUS reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
D3VEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 08:13 PM   #4204
Topher39
Topher39 is on a distinguished road

1996 SL

New 1996 SL - just did my first oil change, was black! ugh - Using Mobile high mileage 10-30 - I live in AZ and its about to get really hot soon. Oil level was right on when I got the car, no tell tale old line on the stick. So, we shall see if she eats oil over the next month.

No oil leaks, but I did see drips coming from the oil plug . . . the seal is still intact on the plug, I cleaned all surfaces off, hopefully it was just a dirty seal. If need be, I will get a generic seal for the plug.

Onward and upward.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Topher39's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Topher39 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Topher39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 12:38 AM   #4205
robb_sc2
robb_sc2 is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2

oil change, 2L out, 4L in, purolator filter. Oil was black, like a stormy night with a new moon, no stars, no lightning, waaaaaaaaaay out in nowhere with no light pollution or a flashlight. Black. I usually put a liter in every 500 +- kms. Lots of oil leaks from my oil pan, maybe some on the transmission, will watch next time. Checked fluids, kicked the tires, dumped the sand out of the floor mat. Drank a beer, or two.

Gold 1999 SC2 ~385k Kms

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to robb_sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help robb_sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
robb_sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 02:04 AM   #4206
SLZero
SLZero is on a distinguished road

1997 SL

This isn't today but I have some updates. Last Thursday I got some cheap hubcaps off of ebay and put them on. I'm tired of the steelie look because it makes my car look like a beater. I want to show that I take care of it.

Last Tuesday I had to get a rotor replaced because a brake shim came loose and scored the rotor. I got both rotors replaced, got the rear drum brakes cleaned and adjusted, and got a brake fluid flush.

Since the last time I posted it's gone over 100,000 miles. Last time I checked it stands at a little over 101400. I get an average 34.5 mpg according to Fuelly.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SLZero's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SLZero reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SLZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 11:01 PM   #4207
I-4
I-4 will become famous soon enough

1994 SL2

Oil and filter change. Subframe rust touch up. Tough winter in MA, more surface rust than usual. Wash and wax.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to I-4's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help I-4 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
I-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 12:00 AM   #4208
cbrguy
cbrguy is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2
1997 SL2

Scrubbed on the timing cover today. In the process of reringing the engine in my 2001 SC2. It's the one I drove for 2 weeks in 2013 and I am just now really working on it. The engine was pulled about 2 years ago.

04/17/13 2001 SC2 A, Blue
170k/171k 5/6/2013, burnt valves

06/30/12 1997 SL2 M, Red - parked

10/29/11 1999 SL2 A, Blue

12/09/12 2001 SL2 A, White
200k RIP

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cbrguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cbrguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cbrguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 09:29 AM   #4209
Lucario
Lucario is on a distinguished road

2002 SC1

Yesterday, Hikaru got a wash with one of those wash/wax soaps, full interior detail and a undercarriage spraying to help clear out any remaining salt

02 SC1 "Hikaru" 83K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Lucario's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Lucario reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Lucario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 02:43 AM   #4210
Mister_Cee
Mister_Cee is a jewel in the roughMister_Cee is a jewel in the roughMister_Cee is a jewel in the rough

1996 SW2

After solving the intermittent low coolant light problem (by adding 8 oz of fluid to the reservoir) I figured it was time I got some other things out of the way.
Today:
New plugs and wires, new fuel filter, new PCV valve and cleaned throttle body.

Merry Christmas (either late or early, depending on how you look at it) to my faithful SW2 !!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mister_Cee's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mister_Cee reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mister_Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 07:20 AM   #4211
Pitcher
Master Member
Pitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura about

1998 SC2

Yesterday: Washed & Waxed the Red Hot. Dang, does it ever shine & GLOW Red.....

Today: Changing the front brake pads on the Red Hot.

Proud Owner of an Invincible '98 SC2 Rare "Red Hot" 5-Speed.
Castrol Edge EP + M1 Ext Perf. Oil Filter.

Owned 4 other S-Series.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Pitcher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Pitcher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Pitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 11:00 PM   #4212
Nels
Nels is on a distinguished road

1996 SL

Changed the alternator on the 96 SL, and I hope to never have that 'pleasure' again. Removal in my case was further complicated by my decision to run the taller oil filter. I wish I had known about the bad alternator before I changed the oil last week, so I could change it while the filter was removed. And whose bright idea was it to put that top bolt up under the power steering pulley where you can feel it, but not see it? I have a bruise on my arm from trying to get it threaded back in. Ah, the pleasures of wrenching on a Saturn . . . .

--------
Nels
Manitowoc WI
1996 SL, 5 Speed manual ╠╬╝

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Nels's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Nels reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Nels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 12:01 AM   #4213
ohiojohn1
ohiojohn1 has a spectacular aura aboutohiojohn1 has a spectacular aura about

2002 SC2

removed snow tires put summers on.

checked brake shoes and pads.

did the final trans and filter change to the Castrol transynd.

repaired fuel pump plug in the (swimming pool) trunk.

I need to pull panels and seal seams.

the headlights were crazing almost looked like a clear coat that was cracking, so I sanded it off and wet sanded in steps and polished them. but I think I may wet sand them and clear them. they look good right now but theres no protection for the plastic now. when I did the initial sanding i could see when I was sanding through the coating.

changed head light bulbs hi and low beams. had the originals in it , only one burned out but the other bulbs were looking pretty dark.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ohiojohn1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ohiojohn1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ohiojohn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 12:51 AM   #4214
ohiojohn1
ohiojohn1 has a spectacular aura aboutohiojohn1 has a spectacular aura about

2002 SC2

also changed upper mount with factory mount ,boy did that smooth things out, Loretta was very happy about that.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ohiojohn1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ohiojohn1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ohiojohn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 06:26 AM   #4215
Pitcher
Master Member
Pitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura about

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitcher View Post

Today: Changing the front brake pads on the Red Hot.
THIS took WAY longer than it should have. One of the AC Delco pads was toleranced too big; bugger wouldn't fit. So I had to take sandpaper to the nipples on each end.

The old pads were grinding on the left side, but there was plenty of pad left. Last owner must've put in crummy pads.

Proud Owner of an Invincible '98 SC2 Rare "Red Hot" 5-Speed.
Castrol Edge EP + M1 Ext Perf. Oil Filter.

Owned 4 other S-Series.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Pitcher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Pitcher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Pitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 10:35 AM   #4216
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nice

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitcher View Post
THIS took WAY longer than it should have. One of the AC Delco pads was toleranced too big; bugger wouldn't fit. So I had to take sandpaper to the nipples on each end....
One of the EBC brake pads on my pick-up were that way. I had to file the ends a little. I could see the pads and paint were smudged. --Like someone tried to install the pads and then exchanged them for a set that fit.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
On my SC2, I did a quick alignment check. Leveled the car and pulled a string along the sidewalls. Yep. All 4 have a tiny bit of toe-in. If I want to get rid of that little bit of squirming on the saw-cut rain grooves, then I need to adjust camber closer to vertical. (B-stone Tarzana Serenity Plus)

Competition Clutch 10Lb. Flywheel. 14 stalls to date (and loving it).
Oil use is 1 ounce per 100 miles with ~230,000 miles on the engine

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bumpdraft's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 05:36 PM   #4217
Topher39
Topher39 is on a distinguished road

1996 SL

New Seat Covers - I was up until midnight making seat covers for my 96 sL1 - I made patterns off the seat, bought bath towels (in gray/white zebra) and sewed up some skin tight covers. I can remove to wash, the towels are pretty plush and best of all it cost me all of $10 per seat! (Two towels per seat at $5 each). I think I may cover the rear too.

It was either make seat covers or sit on my ass and watch TV . . . again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2015-04-16 00.21.40.jpg (183.5 KB, 13 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Topher39's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Topher39 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Topher39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 05:39 PM   #4218
lil_buddy
Advanced Member
lil_buddy has a spectacular aura aboutlil_buddy has a spectacular aura aboutlil_buddy has a spectacular aura about

1997 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher39 View Post
New Seat Covers - I was up until midnight making seat covers for my 96 sL1 - I made patterns off the seat, bought bath towels (in gray/white zebra) and sewed up some skin tight covers. I can remove to wash, the towels are pretty plush and best of all it cost me all of $10 per seat! (Two towels per seat at $5 each). I think I may cover the rear too.

It was either make seat covers or sit on my ass and watch TV . . . again.
Wow! You could sell those on etsy!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lil_buddy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lil_buddy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lil_buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 09:54 PM   #4219
Tofutti
Tofutti is on a distinguished road

2002 SL
1994 SW2

Today I changed the clutch in my new (to me) '02 SL (119k). First time I've attempted a clutch, and it went quite smoothly with the stuffing the tranny in the fender-well technique found here. Changed the output shafts seals while I was there, since one was all torn up yet not leaking and the other was leaking and not visibly torn up. ALMOST had it running again tonight but my helper knocked my coils off a shelf and broke one . There's always tomorrow.

Before I could even back the Satty in I had to change a CV shaft in my '96 Legacy, but that's a different forum

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tofutti's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tofutti reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tofutti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 01:32 AM   #4220
StarLady
Advanced Member
StarLady is just really niceStarLady is just really niceStarLady is just really niceStarLady is just really nice

1992 SC

Got the spark plugs and wires changed. Installed OEM Saturn Spark Plugs that I bought from a Saturn dealer about six years ago. I don't know if those are even available anymore...

The bad news is that the old plugs (that had been in there way too long) came out dripping oil. So it looks like I have a cam cover job in my future.

1992 SC - TwinCam (Automagic)
Bought it brand new, and still loving it today.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to StarLady's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help StarLady reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
StarLady is offline   Reply With Quote