SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2006, 04:05 PM   #1
UForgotten
UForgotten is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L
2007 AURA XR
Wrench HELP! S-Series Speaker Replacement gone horribly wrong...

Argh!!! This has to be the most frustrating thing I've dealt with in a while.
'98 SC2, speakers are blown, trying to replace them myself because I don't want to pay someone to do it. That was my first mistake.
I didn't find many posts with exact instructions but did find one that said to take the door apart. Check. The hardest part was getting the door handle off.
I noticed once I took the screws out of the door, however, that the window won't roll up and down anymore.
After getting the inner door handle off, I replaced the speaker no problem. That was the easiest part by far. It even fit back in the plastic bucket designed for the OEM speakers in the door frame.
NOW, the window won't roll down, and each time I try to put the door back together the door handle won't go back in properly.
So, what's the deal with the regulator? Does it cut off when screws are removed? I checked fuse/relay and the relay is hot in comparison with the other ones, so could there be a short? I'm at a loss here.
I've been wrestling with it for over 2 hours and I needed to take a break and get some pointers if anyone has a surefire trick to this! It has beaten me into submission.
Thanks in advance.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to UForgotten's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help UForgotten reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
UForgotten is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2006, 04:08 PM   #2
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2
Default Re: HELP! S-Series Speaker Replacement gone horribly wrong...

Does the handle turn without the window going down, or is the handle siezed?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 04:10 PM   #3
UForgotten

2006 VUE 3.5L
2007 AURA XR

These are power windows. The regulator refuses to engage from the switch. The other window still works fine because that door was unmolested.
The door handle still works fine, when I attach it to the connecting rods.

Since they are apparently different, This is on the driver's (left) door.

Last edited by UForgotten; 04-02-2006 at 04:17 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help UForgotten reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-02-2006, 04:43 PM   #4
scsomike
scsomike is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2

did any of the connections get knocked loose (electrical). any screws into the wiring harness causing a short to ground?

'97 SL2, 5spd get around car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to scsomike's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help scsomike reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
scsomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 05:52 PM   #5
UForgotten

2006 VUE 3.5L
2007 AURA XR

The only way for me to tell if there's a short is to rip the whole door apart again.
I didn't see a wiring harness separate from the wires running to the door lock.
I didn't want to remove all the plastic that had the inside of the door sealed.
Everything is put back together, the door handle, lock, and power lock work great again . The power window simply does not move. The switch works, and the relay works cos the other window is working and I tried swapping the relay, still no dice. I think you are right that somehow perhaps a connection was broken, but would the lights still dim when I hit the switch if the regulator wasn't getting the current?
The thing is, I don't know how or when the regulator could have been broken, as it was working before the door panel was removed, and I was careful not to disturb anything but the door lock and the speaker.
I guess I need more specific information. I was not able to disconnect the door handle's power connector, it's in there pretty good and I didn't see a release tab. There's got to be some sort of trick to this!
I am a beginner here, so I'm disappointed by all this on my first attempt.
On a lighter note, I replaced the rear deck speakers lickety split without incident.
So I've got a working driver door speaker, a non-working driver door window regulator, a blown right speaker cos I'm too afraid to tear apart the other door, and two working rear speakers. :sigh:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-02-2006, 05:59 PM   #6
UForgotten

2006 VUE 3.5L
2007 AURA XR

No luck. The regulator is not working. Anyone else had this problem before? I'll keep searching but if someone has anything to add I'm always appreciative of the help.

Last edited by UForgotten; 04-02-2006 at 06:12 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-02-2006, 08:13 PM   #7
sunshn1972
sunshn1972 is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

I found that my power windows wouldn't work unless the button in the door was plugged in. Even if I tried to use the button between the front seats, it only worked if the door switch was plugged in. Sounds to me like the connector in the door isn't plugged in, or is shorted out.

You can take the outer door skin off and look at all the connections from that side. That way you can make sure everything is working before putting the outer skin back on. On mine, all I needed was a size 30 Torx bit to get the outer skin off.

This space intentionally left blank.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sunshn1972's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sunshn1972 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sunshn1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 08:19 PM   #8
UForgotten

2006 VUE 3.5L
2007 AURA XR

I got fed up with it and took both sides of the door off to see what was going on. The regulator is indeed getting voltage, I can hear it click when I actuate the switch, it is very hot, it's just not moving. It's acting like it has siezed up. I'm wondering how removing the inner door panel (and I was quite gentle) would have caused this. I don't have any lube, so I'm going to have to fiddle with it.
I was hoping a wiring harness had come out or something simple like that but apparently it's more involved. I guess it's my fault for going in and disturbing my SC2's pristine environment.
Anyone have any experience ressurecting stuck window regulators?
I've got to get these door panels back on in the next 30 minutes or I won't get to bed on time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-02-2006, 08:23 PM   #9
sunshn1972

1998 SL2

You should be able to see the window sash now, with everything off.

The regulator arm snaps into a small black plastic slider, that moves horizontally in the aluminum window sash. See if you can wiggle the regulator arm a little and make the window move with it. If you can, the regulator's probably siezed up. If not, the slider may be stuck in the sash.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help sunshn1972 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-02-2006, 09:47 PM   #10
UForgotten

2006 VUE 3.5L
2007 AURA XR

OK, looks like the regulator assembly is jammed. I have a sneaking suspicion that this was due to a hit-and-run (semi sideswipped into my saturn and kept on going) from years ago. The driver's side was impacted, but most of the damage was done to the front quadrant above the wheel well. I have a feeling that when I pulled the inner door cover off it broke the last remaining piece that was holding it in place.
Pictures of the current situation:

Notice at the top how the bar that attaches to the very top of the frame is hanging down, and it looks like it's missing one of the plastic pegs that holds it in.
It won't budge.
Any suggestions?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-02-2006, 10:38 PM   #11
sunshn1972

1998 SL2

Those pics are HUGE. LOL

It looks like there are three sliders on the front windows, which makes sense given how much more they get used than the rear. The rear windows only have one slider. If it helps, this is the how-to I wrote on replacing the rear window slider.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72669

I'm basing this on having replaced the rear window slider as well as your picture. I've never taken the front door apart, so I could be wrong on this.

If you follow the two top arms of the "X" up you should find the plastic sliders on the back side (from outside the car). You should also find one at the rear bottom leg of the "X".

It looks like the horizontal silver bar at the top of the "X" is parallel to the ground and the black metal bar is angled up toward the rear of the car. Can you confirm?

If that's the case, I would think the horizontal aluminum bar (the sash bar) is the window sash and the black bar is part of the door frame. The sash bar is supposed to move up and down as the regulator turns, and it is clipped onto the bottom edge of the window.
  1. Make sure you can feel all three sliders, and that each is in a single piece. When the rear ones fail they literally snap into two pieces that slide independently within the sash bar. Make sure all three can move a little and aren't stuck. If just one was stuck it would stop the entire window.
  2. Make sure the sash bar is not hung up on something. If there was damage it might have bent something so that now it's in the way of the sash bar moving. Given that the regulator motor heats up, it sounds like it's trying to work but getting hung up.

At least the car is still driveable for now without a functional window!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-02-2006, 11:26 PM   #12
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Pictures are to freaking BIG to try and look at never mind find anything on them.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 12:57 AM   #13
scsomike
scsomike is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2

i have but one question, in two parts...

what freakin kind of camera did you use for that pic and what was the resolution on it??????

'97 SL2, 5spd get around car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to scsomike's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help scsomike reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
scsomike is offline   Reply With Quote