SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos


Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Red Line
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2012, 01:10 PM   #1
Tapalisi
New Member
Tapalisi is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: New orleans
Posts: 8

2006 VUE Red Line
Default Performance mods????

What performance mods has everyone done? Im talkin, intake turbo , supercharger, heads, camshaft, performance chips... Anything

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tapalisi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tapalisi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tapalisi is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2012, 01:15 AM   #2
vlipke
Member
vlipke is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 174
Default Re: Performance mods????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapalisi View Post
What performance mods has everyone done? Im talkin, intake turbo , supercharger, heads, camshaft, performance chips... Anything
There are none, as there is no way to tune this vehicle, and never will be. There was a guy who put an aftermarket custom supercharged setup on one a while back, but you have to piggyback the computer to trick it to run right. There are no performance chips, and intake will get you basically nothing, maybe 5hp if your lucky, not worth the $$$. Its a GM computer, running a Honda motor, so there will never be an aftermarket tuner for it as its only used in the 04 to 07 Vue's. No market for $$$ for it to be developed.

I think I have seen people put exhuast on here before, Magnaflow, but again the gains arent worth the price with no tune ability!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vlipke's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vlipke reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
vlipke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:59 PM   #3
AJEsquire
Member
AJEsquire is on a distinguished road
 
AJEsquire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 271

2005 VUE Red Line
Default Re: Performance mods????

The mods you can do are these...K and N makes a air intake which will improve airflow....gets rid of that plastic oval thing and replaces it with a rounder...bigger stainless steel tube. And this vue is suffocated by not just one but two mufflers...if you look under the vehicle the second one is near the passenger seat if I remember right. So so a full exhaust upgrade is available, I am also looking for headers. But the combo of catback exhaust and air intake together should get you close to 15 more hp. Just getting rid of the muffler that is near the center of the car and putting normal pipe there would be an upgrade. BUT it WILL get you better gas mileage which is big for me since I went from a 4 cylinder to this gas guzzling v6. So I think over the years, they will pay for themselves on the saving of gas if you aren't a led foot.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AJEsquire's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AJEsquire reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AJEsquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 12:49 PM   #4
pyroom
Advanced Member
pyroom is on a distinguished road
 
pyroom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Winnipeg MB
Posts: 521

2004 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Performance mods????

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJEsquire View Post
The mods you can do are these...K and N makes a air intake which will improve airflow....gets rid of that plastic oval thing and replaces it with a rounder...bigger stainless steel tube. And this vue is suffocated by not just one but two mufflers...if you look under the vehicle the second one is near the passenger seat if I remember right. So so a full exhaust upgrade is available, I am also looking for headers. But the combo of catback exhaust and air intake together should get you close to 15 more hp. Just getting rid of the muffler that is near the center of the car and putting normal pipe there would be an upgrade. BUT it WILL get you better gas mileage which is big for me since I went from a 4 cylinder to this gas guzzling v6. So I think over the years, they will pay for themselves on the saving of gas if you aren't a led foot.
The only tuning option would be a piggyback ECU. I see used Greddy Blue ECU's for for less than a chip would cost anyways. If you want to control shift points you need the Ultimate however.


The K&N intake is in my option worse than the stock intake. It's more prone to heat-soak being metal, the the tubing is narrower than the stock throttle body, the filter is much more prone to getting dirty, and it requires skill to clean without over oiling and clogging the sensors... Plug in a scanner onto the IAT sensor at the manifold, and you'll see that flimsy little head-shield is worse than the stock box which draws air from in front of the radiator. You can remove the bong for better sound, but you need to relocate your battery and go with a silicone short ram if you want to see any improvement. It will be cheaper than the K&N anyway.

P2R performance intake runners will give you some gains as well. MDX throttle body and intake manifold, phenolic spacer (my intake is never hot enough to need one with a short ram), not a big big fan of the under-drive pulley but that's an option. Type-s cams, combined with type-s heads (will need new pistons) will give you 40hp.

Headers are dyno proven to give you 20+ hp on Accords. You will need to go custom, the RV6 j-pipe will not line up because of our AWD, and the pre-cat deletes (headers) will not line up at the manifold (ask me how I know). The front cat is very tight and will be hard to fabricate, I kept the stock flange and cut it off at the start of the cat, much like they did with the baja Ridgeline. I was told by several experts that the manifold flows a lot better than people think, and the restriction is all at the bottom of the cat where it comes down to nearly a 1" bottleneck.

The rest of the exhaust is all 2.5", and all of the mufflers are straight-through. I have pictures from when I switched over to 3" exhaust.

@AJEsquire I would like to see what evidence you have that reducing restriction in the air intake and exhaust will do anything buy harm fuel economy. It's a myth that reducing restriction will improve fuel economy, it will at best leave it unchanged. Look on any of the fuel efficient vehicles from the 90's and you'll see huge restrictions on the intake and exhaust, it's also a common tactic for hypermillers. Here's a study done by the US government to back it up: http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/pdfs/...02_26_2009.pdf

Also a cold air intake will only worsen your fuel economy, that's just the wat it works. You need a warm air intake if you want better FE.

A supercharger kit is super easy to make for this car, on the street-play Vue they used an Eaton M90 supercharger. I got mine off an Impala for 50 bucks and rebuilt it for 100. You need a custom intake manifold and adapter for the throttle body, you can probably find a guy on Craigslist to make that for you if you can't weld aluminum. If you're not running a Greddy or AEM you can use an aftermarket FPR to control fueling, however it is not nearly as effective as a piggyback. I forget where I got the serpentine belt, I can probably find it for you if you're interested.

Don't forget to upgrade your rear drums to discs! Stainless lines off a newer Honda civic will fit. PM me if you want the details on the rear disc conversion, or you can buy it from SSBC.

I'm sure I'm forgetting a bunch, my Vue is only my winter car now lol (fuel economy sucks so bad). There's no shortage of aftermarket for the J35 though.

...
2004 Vue 3.5L AWD

Last edited by pyroom; 08-04-2012 at 12:59 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pyroom's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pyroom reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pyroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 01:02 PM   #5
pyroom
Advanced Member
pyroom is on a distinguished road
 
pyroom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Winnipeg MB
Posts: 521

2004 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Performance mods????

Here is how they did the manifold on the Baja ridgeline. It looks ugly but it works great! I probably spent $200.00 on materials trying to get a nice stainless pipe that would fit in the front of the Vue with no luck before going this route. The flange looks restrictive, however it was explained to me that the pockets on the side are designed to increase flow, and that it should flow the equivalent of a 3 1/4" pipe (if you take it off you'll know what I mean).

...
2004 Vue 3.5L AWD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pyroom's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pyroom reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pyroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:42 PM   #6
AJEsquire
Member
AJEsquire is on a distinguished road
 
AJEsquire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 271

2005 VUE Red Line
Default Re: Performance mods????

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroom View Post
The only tuning option would be a piggyback ECU. I see used Greddy Blue ECU's for for less than a chip would cost anyways. If you want to control shift points you need the Ultimate however.


The K&N intake is in my option worse than the stock intake. It's more prone to heat-soak being metal, the the tubing is narrower than the stock throttle body, the filter is much more prone to getting dirty, and it requires skill to clean without over oiling and clogging the sensors... Plug in a scanner onto the IAT sensor at the manifold, and you'll see that flimsy little head-shield is worse than the stock box which draws air from in front of the radiator. You can remove the bong for better sound, but you need to relocate your battery and go with a silicone short ram if you want to see any improvement. It will be cheaper than the K&N anyway.

P2R performance intake runners will give you some gains as well. MDX throttle body and intake manifold, phenolic spacer (my intake is never hot enough to need one with a short ram), not a big big fan of the under-drive pulley but that's an option. Type-s cams, combined with type-s heads (will need new pistons) will give you 40hp.

Headers are dyno proven to give you 20+ hp on Accords. You will need to go custom, the RV6 j-pipe will not line up because of our AWD, and the pre-cat deletes (headers) will not line up at the manifold (ask me how I know). The front cat is very tight and will be hard to fabricate, I kept the stock flange and cut it off at the start of the cat, much like they did with the baja Ridgeline. I was told by several experts that the manifold flows a lot better than people think, and the restriction is all at the bottom of the cat where it comes down to nearly a 1" bottleneck.

The rest of the exhaust is all 2.5", and all of the mufflers are straight-through. I have pictures from when I switched over to 3" exhaust.

@AJEsquire I would like to see what evidence you have that reducing restriction in the air intake and exhaust will do anything buy harm fuel economy. It's a myth that reducing restriction will improve fuel economy, it will at best leave it unchanged. Look on any of the fuel efficient vehicles from the 90's and you'll see huge restrictions on the intake and exhaust, it's also a common tactic for hypermillers. Here's a study done by the US government to back it up: http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/pdfs/...02_26_2009.pdf

Also a cold air intake will only worsen your fuel economy, that's just the wat it works. You need a warm air intake if you want better FE.

A supercharger kit is super easy to make for this car, on the street-play Vue they used an Eaton M90 supercharger. I got mine off an Impala for 50 bucks and rebuilt it for 100. You need a custom intake manifold and adapter for the throttle body, you can probably find a guy on Craigslist to make that for you if you can't weld aluminum. If you're not running a Greddy or AEM you can use an aftermarket FPR to control fueling, however it is not nearly as effective as a piggyback. I forget where I got the serpentine belt, I can probably find it for you if you're interested.

Don't forget to upgrade your rear drums to discs! Stainless lines off a newer Honda civic will fit. PM me if you want the details on the rear disc conversion, or you can buy it from SSBC.

I'm sure I'm forgetting a bunch, my Vue is only my winter car now lol (fuel economy sucks so bad). There's no shortage of aftermarket for the J35 though.
It's not a myth that you will improve gas mileage, where the diffefence in opinion comes in is that you only save if you are not a led foot driver. You only save if you don't take off from red lights and like to speed around because you like the sound and think that you can actually feel the extra 5-10 hp you get for doing so. I tested it myself on my own vehicles, you will save gas if you are a moderate driver. Oh, and the K&N intake is not a cold air intake actually, if it was you would be correct, because I put one of those little electronic boxes that you plug into your air sensor in my first car cuz it would trick your air sensor into believing the air was a lot colder which in turn made my car use more fuel which in turn actually gave it power you could feel!
The fact is..it's cheaper not to mass produce cars with better intake systems it because there is no way to have a ultra quiet car with a good air flow system in it they will be louder...there is no way to truly do it..without the cars sound goind up decibles...even if its only by a few numbers...people today want their cars quiet. That is at least why I believe car companies do not do this on stock cars, but I truly do not want to get into a lot of that because I don't like to argue with people I will more than likely be asking a lot of questions since I want to do some of your other mods! lol.

Like the disc brakes in the back. The other question I had for you is this...I don't have an AWD version so will the RV6 j-pipe line up on mine? One more thing.....what about just aren't their two cats on the Vue? What about just taking them completly off? Or at least the one that bottle necks?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AJEsquire's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AJEsquire reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AJEsquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:12 PM   #7
Tom92SCm
Master Member
Tom92SCm has a spectacular aura aboutTom92SCm has a spectacular aura about
 
Tom92SCm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Colorado
Posts: 4,960
 

2004 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Performance mods????

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJEsquire View Post
because I put one of those little electronic boxes that you plug into your air sensor in my first car cuz it would trick your air sensor into believing the air was a lot colder which in turn made my car use more fuel which in turn actually gave it power you could feel!
First of all, more fuel rarely equals more power. Most programmers will alter the fuel trim tables and REMOVE fuel.

But if you are still running the stock computer, the computer is keeping the exhaust gases as close to stoichiometric as possible when in closed loop mode to keep emissions as low as possible. So adding a high flow filter, intake, throttle body, head work, header, cat, muffler and exhaust pipe does nothing for mpg because those sensors are always watching and adding or taking away fuel as needed to get as complete of a burn as possible.

And the reasons all those things add power is only when the car computer goes into open loop ecu mode. Is this mode, it does not listening to those sensors, it just injects fuel based on a pre-programmed fuel table. And the reason you get more power is because the mixture is now actually leaner (less fuel per air- like I said with the programmers). And open loop is only under heavy (or full) hero title conditions.

Research open and closed loop ecu operation (on google- not just here) to get a better understanding of how modern ecus work.

...
Not a Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom92SCm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom92SCm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom92SCm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 03:17 AM   #8
AJEsquire
Member
AJEsquire is on a distinguished road
 
AJEsquire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 271

2005 VUE Red Line
Default Re: Performance mods????

[QUOTE=Tom92SCm;1905274]First of all, more fuel rarely equals more power. Most programmers will alter the fuel trim tables and REMOVE fuel.

It did in my case, wish I had the charts to show you ;-) took it in cuz I didn't believe it so wanted someone to check it out to make sure it was legit. You do know I am not talking about a vue RL in this case...was just giving you an example..it was a 92 mazda 626 manual. I plugged the chip right into the air sensor control box.....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AJEsquire's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AJEsquire reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AJEsquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 03:21 AM   #9
AJEsquire
Member
AJEsquire is on a distinguished road
 
AJEsquire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 271

2005 VUE Red Line
Default Re: Performance mods????

[QUOTE=Tom92SCm;1905274]First of all, more fuel rarely equals more power. Most programmers will alter the fuel trim tables and REMOVE fuel.

AND when you say "rarely" I assume you mean NON fuel injected cars right?
;-)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AJEsquire's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AJEsquire reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AJEsquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:25 AM   #10
Leonard1818
Member
Leonard1818 will become famous soon enoughLeonard1818 will become famous soon enough
 
Leonard1818's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ohio
Posts: 415

2004 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Performance mods????

a friend of mine put intake/j-pipe/exhaust on his 03 accord V6 6spd. Sounds nice!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Leonard1818's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Leonard1818 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Leonard1818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 01:42 PM   #11
pyroom
Advanced Member
pyroom is on a distinguished road
 
pyroom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Winnipeg MB
Posts: 521

2004 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Performance mods????

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJEsquire View Post
Like the disc brakes in the back. The other question I had for you is this...I don't have an AWD version so will the RV6 j-pipe line up on mine? One more thing.....what about just aren't their two cats on the Vue? What about just taking them completly off? Or at least the one that bottle necks?
The Vue runs rich from the factory for emission reasons, so I don't see how making it run richer (IAT resistor) would make more power. The Greddy allows you to pull back fuel and advance timing, however I don't have a wide-band atm so I haven't been able to really play around with it. Perhaps it made a difference on your '92 because it ran lean at full throttle, '92 had different emission regulations.

The study I posted shows that restricting the air intake up to 50% has zero effect on fuel economy. Reducing intake restriction will only decrease pumping losses at full throttle. Intake restriction is essential, otherwise the engine would just run at WOT all the time, this restriction come from the throttle body.

lets say the Vue turns 1900 RPM at 60mph and opens the throttle body 15%. Now you reduce intake restriction to the point where you may only need the throttle body to open 10%. In order to maintain the same RPM, the TOTAL intake restriction must remain the same. All you have done is move the restriction from in front of the throttle body to behind.

Honda has also designed the intake manifold to increase volumetric efficiency at low RPM's, by using a tapered spacer under the manifold to simulate long tube intake runners. If you remove this you will see more HP at full throttle, but less HP at low RPM's because you raise the RPM where the intake is the most efficient. Don't do this unless you have a free-flowing exhaust, as this range will be above the 6500 rpm stock redline without it.

A cold air intake will also reduce fuel economy because it needs more fuel to balance it out. This is one of the reasons why you get worse fuel economy in the winter (aside from spinning tires, long engine warmup times, etc).

All of this being said, if you drove exactly the same as before, and the air temperature was exactly the same, your fuel economy would not change. However, if you floor it once, or if the intake reduces the air temperature by 1 degree, your avg MPG for that tank will be down from a stock vehicle under the same conditions. Some people will argue that you will gain MPG from being able to shift into a lower gear faster, this might be true for a manual car, but not an automatic.

You can find hundreds of people who are willing to explain to you why a free flowing intake and exhaust will not increase fuel economy on any fuel economy forum (ecomodder.com gassavers.com cleanmpg.com etc.) I'm sorry, I'm not trying to argue with you specifically, I just see this posted a lot when people discuss fuel economy and I thought it would be worth providing my point of vue.

To answer your question: the cats are one piece and the bottleneck is at the bottom of both of them where they meet the j-pipe (j-pipe is also really narrow). The exhaust is in the same place for the FWD and AWD Vue's, so no, the accord j-pipe still won't line up . I think one member drilled out the bottom of his cats, and replace just the J-pipe and get a similar result.

...
2004 Vue 3.5L AWD

Last edited by pyroom; 08-13-2012 at 01:54 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pyroom's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pyroom reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pyroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 02:53 PM   #12
Tom92SCm
Master Member
Tom92SCm has a spectacular aura aboutTom92SCm has a spectacular aura about
 
Tom92SCm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Colorado
Posts: 4,960
 

2004 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Performance mods????

To clarify:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom92SCm View Post
And the reasons all those things add power is only when the car computer goes into open loop ecu mode. Is this mode, it does not listening to those sensors, it just injects fuel based on a pre-programmed fuel table. And the reason you get more power is because the mixture is now actually leaner (less fuel per air- like I said with the programmers).
Is now leaner than the stock setup due to all of the bolt-on breathing enhancers (air filter, intake, muffler.....).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom92SCm View Post
And open loop is only under heavy (or full) hero title conditions.
hero title = "throttle" when typing quickly with fat fingers on an ipad.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJEsquire
it was a 92 mazda 626 manual
I used to have a '91 626. It was a good little car.

...
Not a Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom92SCm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom92SCm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom92SCm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 04:16 PM   #13
pyroom
Advanced Member
pyroom is on a distinguished road
 
pyroom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Winnipeg MB
Posts: 521

2004 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Performance mods????

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroom View Post
Perhaps it made a difference on your '92 because it ran lean
Even that wouldn't work... Assuming the car didn't go into open loop mode at full throttle, (which it would) engines make more power the leaner they go (until they blow). Even if you had an intake and exhaust making it leaner than 14.7 (ideal ratio), adding more fuel would still make you lose power.

Oddly enough I had a '97 626 auto...

...
2004 Vue 3.5L AWD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pyroom's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pyroom reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pyroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 10:53 PM   #14
Tobacconist
Junior Member
Tobacconist is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 24
Default Re: Performance mods????

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlipke View Post
Its a GM computer, running a Honda motor, so there will never be an aftermarket tuner for it as its only used in the 04 to 07 Vue's. No market for $$$ for it to be developed.
The Honda V6 Vue uses the same Motorola ECU as used in the Acura MDX.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tobacconist's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tobacconist reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tobacconist is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Performance Mods?? Where are they?? mako462 Vue Mods 4 10-05-2006 03:13 PM
4 cyl Performance Mods ihdude Vue Tech 19 04-15-2006 02:58 PM
Many mods, but no performance?! gtar308 S-Series Mods 51 03-31-2006 05:17 AM
Mods and Performance SaturnSC1Freak S-Series Mods 8 08-16-2002 08:32 AM
MODS = PERFORMANCE ??? TURFMAN Mods and Performance 2 11-26-2000 05:33 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:23 PM.

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SaturnFans.com. The Saturn Enthusiasts Site.