SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Red Line
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2018, 11:45 PM   #1
keenh
keenh is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line
Default Noise at passengers front tire area

I'm very sorry if this is already covered here, but I didn't have time to search it.

So about two weeks ago I started hearing a noise coming from what sounds like the passengers front wheel area. I took it to Les Schwab and they said they found the problem, the control arm was bad, had lost the bushing and was barely hanging on. Great! They fixed the control arm. But unfortunately, not the noise. $713 later (included two new tires) it's still not fixed. Yesterday I was driving to work and the noise went from low and constant to EXTREME! I took it to a different shop. But wouldn't you know, no noise! I know, figures! So they're going to give it back to me tomorrow unfixed! They have no idea! I was under it with him and have no idea either.

The noise is hard to explain, but I'll do my best.

It started off like if you took an aluminum or thin metal tube, maybe like a pen tube, only metal, and held it loose enough so when you dropped one end on sheet metal, it would bounce a little. At first it was very sporadic. Sometimes as soon as I started driving, sometimes after a while, or any combination. Then a few days it became more constant. Then when it went extreme yesterday, it was like you took that same tube and put it against bicycle spokes going very fast. As I slowed, so did the sound. It would almost sound like a softer wire brush rubbing as I slowed way down. Then nothing after work when I drove it to the shop.

If anyone has any idea that I can tell them at the shop tomorrow, I would be eternally grateful! You'll be my automotive hero!

I saw a YouTube video that says transmission, but I can't hear their noise very well. It did sound kind of similar from what I could hear. I've read that the Vue Redline has transmission issues, so I wouldn't be surprised. But that's a huge fix!

Thank anyone that has some ideas!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to keenh's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help keenh reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
keenh is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2018, 08:52 AM   #2
waiter21
Advanced Member
waiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to all

2003 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Noise at passengers front tire area

Three common items comes to mind:

1) Wheel bearings. Very common failure, this produces a kind of growling sound.

2) Passenger side drive shaft intermediate bearing.

3) brake heat shield. Mine has a small heat shield (about the size of your thumb) at the very bottom of the wheel. This is easily bent and rubs against the brake disk.

2003 Vue - 2.2L with Manual Trans. (Swapped)
Originally had 2.2L and Auto trans.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to waiter21's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help waiter21 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 11:53 PM   #3
keenh
keenh is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line
Default Re: Noise at passengers front tire area

Never did figure out what it was. It just stopped. Hasn't started back up again. One of life's great mysteries.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to keenh's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help keenh reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
keenh is offline   Reply With Quote