SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Red Line
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2018, 04:49 PM   #1
keenh
keenh is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line
Default ABS problem?

If this has already been asked, please point me in the right direction.

So yesterday I was approaching a red light. As I was slowing down, almost to a stop, I got the noise you get when you're stopping on ice and the ABS kicks in. The kinda grinding noise. I though it was odd, as it's bone dry outside. I finished my drive to work (only through the light and into the parking lot) and parked. When I finished work and came back out, I checked under my car for any leaks. Nothing. I drove home and didn't have the problem. I went to town today (10 miles) and it didn't do it until I was about to come back home. It's not the instant I touch the brakes, and it's not every time. It's when I'm about to complete my stop. Just basically rolling and about to fully stop. Also, since it was warm today, I had my window down. It smelled like something was burning. I was in traffic, so it may not have been me. It was pretty strong, so I assume it was. When I got home I checked all the fluids. Everything was good. I'm not going to drive it again until I figure out what's wrong. Any suggestions?

It's a 2004 Redline, V6, auto.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to keenh's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help keenh reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
keenh is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2018, 10:46 PM   #2
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: ABS problem?

Probably not a big deal. Each wheel has a wheel speed sensor (WSS) to report rotating speed to the Electronic Brake Control Module.

If any of four sensors cease operating - usually happens at low speed - the EBCM will assume a wheel is locked and enter ABS mode.

It takes a "hard" WSS failure to light the ABS (and probably TCS) lights - and store a code - so its very difficult to locate the flaky sensor.

I had the problem on 2007 Vue and ordered a kit with four sensors from Amazon vendor ($37 and free ship if prime) and replaced on all four corners to fix erratic ABS operation.

I have instructions and couple of photos I can email if you will PM address.

I try to visit forum daily but suggest you use private messages if in a rush (comes to cell) and include email address for extracts. I seldom check visitor messages so please don't use.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 05:44 PM   #3
Vue6
Vue6 is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE Red Line

...I had that issue in my vue , a buddy had a scanner and found out it was a rear sensor reading 2mph off, causing the abs to kick on almost at a stop, i took the rear drums apart to get at the sensor , used an allen wrench and took it out . i used cleaner and cleaned the goop build up on it , off . put it back in and ,knock on wood it is fine. so try the free stuff 1st, clean the sensor, just my .02, DC.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Vue6's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Vue6 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Vue6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 07:45 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

The issue is finding a reader capable of decoding abs error codes stored in memory. A few years ago, most readers weren't able to read abs errors. Autozone has upgraded their readers to decode them since last year, as members reported. It might help if the abs light stays on to find Autozone with OBD II/abs readers.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 03:05 PM   #5
keenh

2004 VUE Red Line

Thanks for the replies guys! Sorry I haven't been able to comment. I've been super busy. So is it hard to check the sensors for gunk? Do I have to take everything apart still, or can I do it without ripping the car apart?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help keenh reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-13-2018, 06:03 AM   #6
Vue6

2006 VUE Red Line

...THE FRONTS ARE HARDER TO GET TO , YOU HAVE TO PULL EVERYTHING APART, ON THE REARS PULL THE DRUM OFF AND YOU CAN GET TO BOLT WITH AN ALLEN WRENCH , IT'S A LITTLE FUN ,BUT YOU CAN GET TO IT , HOPE THAT HELPS, DC.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Vue6's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Vue6 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-13-2018, 07:32 PM   #7
keenh

2004 VUE Red Line

Quick question. What's worst case scenario if I keep driving it as is? I don't have a day off for a few days, and I need my car. Isn't there a ABS fuse? If I remove it, will that bypass it until I can check it?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-13-2018, 07:59 PM   #8
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Search Vue threads about the two front flex brake lines choking at the bracket mounts, restricting brake fluid return when releasing brakes. They strangle one or both front brakes, cooking them because brake pressure remains instead of releasing pressure. You can check each brake easily after a short drive - park somewhere so you and put your hand on the aluminium rims. Each rim should not feel hot to the touch. Compare each rim by feel against rear rims. All should feel about the same as ambient temperatures and not hot where you can't leave your hand on any rim for as long as you want. The hot one means the flexible brake line is choking the fluid from returning back, keeping brakes applied and heating up the disc, caliper and transferring built heat to the rim. The front flexible brake line(s) need to be replaced. This may be the cause of premature abs at low speed unless its the abs that's causing the problem. If you don't feel hot front rims from damaged flexible brake lines then its the abs itself (wheel speed sensor, reluctor, wiring.

As mentioned previously, if the abs light stays on, try autozone for free readings to determine what the error code is to help narrow down the problem. Post any error code and search online for code definition.

The best you can do, and is considered safe, is removing the abs fuse(s) to disable abs. The abs light will turn on and stay on but should not interfere with braking as you're removing abs operation altogether. This does not affect the brake hydraulic system or power assisted braking. You can make a test drive in the neighborhood after fuse removal and brake as much as you feel comfortable. If nothing is out of the ordinary then you can drive this way until you determine which way to proceed. ABS is not a priority over the basic hydraulic brake system so disabling it does not cause brake failure. Disabling abs is the same as if abs were never on the vehicle. Some have already done this and drove theirs without issues and working on the problem when they found the time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 05:08 PM   #9
Vue6

2006 VUE Red Line

...Not sure on your year vue, but when I pulled my abs fuse ,all the lights and alarms went off and was annoying, it'll be fine driving it the way it is ,with the fuse intact. just keep an eye out as was mentioned above, for warm rims, IF your flexible brake lines are the issue. I drove my RL with the abs issue in my 06 , for a month, sometimes the abs kicked on like your issue and sometimes the abs light came on in the dash, then no abs, hope that helps, DC.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Vue6's Reputation