SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2016, 01:27 AM   #1
Herbivore
Herbivore is on a distinguished road

Default 05 Ion Won't Start (Click but no crank)

Hey everybody!

So I just bought a 2005 Ion 2 with 140,000 miles on it and a few days later after work when the temp hit about -18 F i went to start it and it just clicked, so I thought I had left my headlights on or something so I had a friend jump it and it still just clicked, after a few minutes of sitting with the cables hooked up it started just fine.
A few days later (today) it did the same clicking but not turning over, so I sat and cycled the key to start, acc, start, acc etc, hoping it would start one of the times but no luck. So i let it sit for about 15 minutes and it started just fine.

Not sure if its related but twice while I was driving it the gas pedal just stopped responding, engine still ran but the accelerator just wasn't registering anything. Both times I just shut the car off, took the key out and let it sit for about 10 minutes and then it was fine for the rest of the drive...

I read a lot about these Ions having some weird electrical gremlins and I was wondering if its more likely to just be a bad starter or one of the weird electrical bugs... I need this car to get to college so it intermittently just not working is kind of hard for me haha

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Herbivore's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Herbivore reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Herbivore is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2016, 02:40 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 05 Ion Won't Start (Click but no crank)

One question to ask that may help determine which way to go. Is the click sound coming from the starter or from one of the relays in the underhood fuse box? Have someone turn the ignition key while you listen under the hood. A loud metallic click may be the starter solenoid while a lighter click sound may be one of the relays in the fuse box. There's a START CONTROL RELAY that powers up when the ignition switch is turned to the START position; this closes a set of electrical contacts to send power to the starter. The engine computer commands this relay. The starter has a large solenoid, basically another relay, that tends to make a loud click if the rest of the starter doesn't roar to life. If the starter solenoid is making the loud metallic click sound, its likely the starter is worn out. Mileage and the number of starts in a day are some factors that determines starter life. In general, starters can fail in as little as 50k miles (frequent short trips) or last well beyond 250k miles (all highway).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 01:55 PM   #3
Herbivore
Herbivore is on a distinguished road

Update**

So last night, after it sat for a few hours I went out to try to start it again and it started three times with no problems, this morning tried to start it to go to school and it just clicks again
I called a dealership and had them check the recalls done and they said that the ignition switch had been replaced at a dealership so I'm leaning more towards the starter...

I haven't been able to have anyone try to start it while I looked under the hood as my roommate has been at work but the click does sound quite loud and metallic (it sounds to me like the starter engaging but I'm an idiot) so I'm not sure. It just sucks that a starter repair at a shop is like $475.00 and if that's not the problem I don't have much money as a college student to be shotgunning parts...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Herbivore's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Herbivore reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Herbivore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 02:14 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

It's been said that first impressions are usually right so if you hear a loud metallic click, it's probably the starter solenoid powering up on the starter but the starter intermittently runs. All starters wear out and the two wear items are the large electrical contacts inside the starter solenoid and the two or four brushes rubbing on the starter commutator, transferring battery power to the armature that turns the starter shaft. The small relays in the fuse box make very little clicking sounds and you'd have to stand next to the fuse boxes to hear these relays clicking. Inside fuse boxes with relays can be heard since door are closed to concentrate noise from things making noise inside a car. The brushes or electrical contacts on starters are most likely worn out after 140k miles and 11 years of reliable service. Doing it yourself is the most cost saving repair compared to paying a repair shop because you save on marked up parts and hourly labor rates. A quick online pricing of starters from places like rockauto will show the difference in what you'll be expected to pay from a repair shop against replacing it yourself. All you need is the desire, some basic tools, a garage or a plan on when to do it outdoors with everything at hand, including a friend to help with tools or support when jacking a car up to crawl under the engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-22-2018, 03:06 PM   #5
Seņor Ramos
Seņor Ramos is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-1 Sedan

This is good advice so I'm giving it a bump, since it seems I'm not the only one dealing with this "no crank" issue.

1998 Saturn SL1, dark green. His name is Mean Joe Green, and he will rock you. R.I.P.
2003 Saturn Ion 1, silver. His name is Tom Landry, and he's here to stay.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Seņor Ramos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Seņor Ramos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Seņor Ramos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 08:11 PM   #6
kohly
kohly is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-1 Sedan

ive changed ignition switch, key cylinder and came with 2 new keys, cleaned all grounds, had starter checked, new battery and still clicking when trying to crank over. if this is such a widespread issue how is it that no one can figure this out? i have my battery charger on "quick start" setting and have it hooked up to my battery with an extension cord and every morning i plug the extension cord in and my car starts with absolutley no problem as if nothings wrong. im not ASE certified mechanic but i have some mechanical skills and i just cannot believe this issue cannot be fixed. if someone figures it out please let me know

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kohly's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kohly reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kohly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 10:05 PM   #7
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

"...had starter checked..." by who? Unless there's an expert on starter troubleshooting by simply powering a starter, no one can guarantee in-car or bench checking starters as an absolute test. Presuming a starter test is ok doesn't rule out this same starter that passes in-car or bench tests is guaranteed to continue to operate flawlessly. A false sense of security with this assumption can mislead anyone. Experience, history of maintenance, knowledge of electrical/electronic systems and familiarity of starting circuits can eliminate guessing to narrow a problem to one of several areas; power distribution, starting circuit, wiring and starter.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-26-2018, 07:58 PM   #8
kohly

2004 ION-1 Sedan

if your so positive its the starter then tell me why it starts with absolutely no problem when the weather gets above a certain degrees? everyone on this forum said it was the ignition switch well look where that got me, the battery, the ignition cylinder, the list goes on and on and on. convince me on why i should buy a $200 starter. im sick of buying stuff, with all due respect.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help kohly reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-26-2018, 10:49 PM   #9
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Whoa there kohly, where did I state your starter is faulty? You haven't posted any background info and I merely state the list of possibilities that must be considered before a starter is deemed the failure. I can assure you that a starter is the last part I would recommend anyone to replace until all other areas are completely exhausted to be free of problems before suggesting the starter is faulty. If you read my post again, I lay out all possibilities to troubleshoot by anyone willing to spend time troubleshooting at home with nothing more than a screwdriver and test light. There are specific steps in troubleshooting (a)electronics, (b)electrical and (c) power before a starter is determined the failure. By replacing the battery, you're left with the rest to troubleshoot. One way to short cut everything, if you're not hesitant and don't mind crawling under the car to access the starter for testing or using a remote start switch - shorting the battery cable terminal to the small terminal on the starter with a screwdriver. This bypasses everything and sends battery power to the starter solenoid to operate the starter immediately. This presumes ignition is OFF, automatic in Park and e-brake pulled. A remote start switch with a long pair of wires with alligator clips can be attached to the same terminals and remotely powering the starter does the same thing, power the starter. Since you say the starter only works when temps are warmer and doesn't in cold, testing should be done in cold. If the starter doesn't power up to crank the engine, replace the starter. Even if the starter does power up there are factors that affect how starters wear out; mileage, number of starts in a day, frequent short trips.

If you want a complete list of testing procedures to find the problem in a, b, or c, I can post procedures. Car electrical and electronic systems aren't difficult to understand when familiar with them. You posted the parts replaced as part of a recall about the ignition switch issues, not about normal wear and tear to any car. Your descriptions seem to be about normal wear and tear. Finding the problem can be done at home or paying GM or repair shop. Your choice.

One last fact with starters failing; the S-series members have repeatedly posted of their starters working fine in warm weather then fail to work in cold temps. Replacing it solved their problems. All threads are about original starters since starters fail between 50k and 300k miles.

Last edited by fdryer; 02-26-2018 at 10:57 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-04-2018, 06:46 PM   #10
rowdydog
Advanced Member
rowdydog has a spectacular aura aboutrowdydog has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION Red Line

My 05 redline, when really cold is dead on ing. turn, If I remember correctly, as a former Saturn employee, meaning I built them for start to finish production wise, they used the wrong grease in the switch that won;t allow the contacts to engage, when really cold, now I get nothing, no clicking etc. could be issue, but when temp warmed up, car started fine, can't remember if there was a TSB on it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rowdydog's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rowdydog reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rowdydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 07:25 PM   #11
kohly

2004 ION-1 Sedan

i had someone start the car as i listened and it is clicking from the starter it acts as though the drive kicks out but wont spin motor over. i recently took it to a shop for a diagnostic test and all electrical areas are normal working condition it says "when vehicle wont crank it loses communication with ECM and voltage pulses to starter causing clicking condition" so fdryer your opinion please? should i purchase a starter? ive been down all avenues i even put a jumper wire on the starter and it spun continuously dont know what to do

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-22-2018, 07:54 PM   #12
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

You were given suggestions to try in post#9, specifically using a screwdriver or other metal to act as a switch to jumper the starter terminal with the large battery cable to the smaller terminal on the starter. If you cannot perform this procedure or have a friend do it then you're left to the whims of repair shops. This simple procedure eliminates the entire car electronics and simply applies battery power to the starter solenoid to trigger starter operation. Your description of jumping starter terminals may be incorrect if you crossed the two large terminals on the starter - this results in hearing the starter runaway and sound like a jet engine. What you did is incorrect but narrows the problem to the starter solenoid failing. Your starter has surpassed new car warranty years ago. It's just a matter of time when it fails and fails intermittently. You can shop rockauto for starter prices to replace it yourself and save on repair shops billing you for about an hour's worth of work.

Your choice to follow suggestions given or pay a repair shop to; diagnose, troubleshoot and give you a price for repairs including a warranty. Saturnfans share info to keep money in our wallets and not support repair shops.

If you are able to, remove the starter and disassemble it. You'll learn one way or another how starters operate and what parts wear out to determine how starters fail. Starters are not difficult to understand. Even Google can help explain the workings of a car starter and some YouTuber can explain how they wear out. You have Google on your side of you wish to determine on your own car repairs, diagnosing, troubleshooting and repairs. Saturnfans is one answer with answers. It's up to you decide how to proceed.

Last edited by fdryer; 03-22-2018 at 08:02 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-23-2018, 12:29 PM   #13
ddemier7
Advanced Member
ddemier7 will become famous soon enoughddemier7 will become famous soon enough

2004 ION-1 Sedan

Starrer selonid going out. That's why the starter works some of the times. Replace starter to fix the provlem. Easy fix as I did that to my 2004 Ion

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ddemier7's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ddemier7 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ddemier7 is offline   Reply With Quote