SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2011, 09:01 PM   #1
MKR
MKR is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2
Default Click click crank

I think I just drained the battery by starting too much and using too much power, but it can't hurt to ask.
  1. Drove to get a haircut
  2. Drove 500 feet to Wal-Mart
  3. Drove 2 miles to the grocery store

I also had the fan and AC running at full blast the whole time. It clicked once when I turned the key at the last stop, then clicked again on the second turn. It cranked on the third try.

This was after it sat for 2 days. Is this a symptom of putting too much on the battery without giving it time to charge up?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MKR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MKR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MKR is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2011, 09:50 PM   #2
td1238
Master Member
td1238 will become famous soon enoughtd1238 will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2
Default Re: Click click crank

If it otherwise cranks at normal speed, and your headlights are fully bright with the key 'off,' then the problem likely lies within the starter solenoid. You can merely replace the solenoid (which requires removal of the entire starter motor), or you can replace the entire motor. The brushes are likely worn, too. These are special order from NAPA, and they come from Virginia. The brushes and solenoid are likely much cheaper than a new motor, but might not be as convenient.

If you do rebuild the old motor, be sure to clean up all external connections.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to td1238's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help td1238 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
td1238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:52 PM   #3
td1238
Master Member
td1238 will become famous soon enoughtd1238 will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2

Removing the end cap will disclose the condition of the brushes. If they both look like they have plenty of wear left, then you can probably just replace the solenoid and get plenty more miles out of the motor as-is. Perhaps order the brushes now so that they will be handy later. If you by chance agitate or remove the brush holding assembly, be sure to reinsert the phenolic insulators that go between the brushes and the brush tension springs. If these are not put back in place, a direct short will occur through the tensioning springs, and the motor will not work.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to td1238's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help td1238 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
td1238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:28 PM   #4
MKR

1997 SC2

Would that explain why it occasionally wont start after sitting a couple of days?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MKR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MKR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-25-2011, 12:56 AM   #5
Fingolfin
Fingolfin is on a distinguished road

1995 SW2

Could be starter... just as likely you've got a dead alternator that's just not charging the battery. Go to AutoZone or someplace similar to get your battery tested, just to make sure you don't have a bad one.

On the car with the engine off, your battery should be giving 12 to 12.5 volts from the battery posts. With the engine on, it should be in 13.5-14.5 volt territory. if it's lower than that, chances are your alternator is shot. If it's testing as good, then you've got to look at your starter.

Just went through this myself!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Fingolfin's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Fingolfin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Fingolfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 11:45 AM   #6
MKR

1997 SC2

The lights dimmed a little bit when I turned the car off, but it was barely perceptible. I'm also pretty sure the alternator is fine because I hear something kicking in when I hold the window button down after it's fully open and when I turn the lights on.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MKR's Reputation
Old 08-26-2011, 12:03 PM   #7
Fingolfin

1995 SW2

The alternator doesn't kick in... it runs off the drivebelt on the engine. What you're hearing is the relay kicking in to drive the power window motor. And it's totally possible for the battery to have enough juice to operate lights and the windows but not enough to crank the car... especially if the alternator is failing and delivering some charge when the car is on.

You won't really know until you check the voltage on the battery posts with the car on and off. If it's not that or a bad cell in your battery, then it's probably the starter.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Fingolfin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-26-2011, 03:40 PM   #8
MKR

1997 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingolfin View Post
The alternator doesn't kick in... it runs off the drivebelt on the engine. What you're hearing is the relay kicking in to drive the power window motor. And it's totally possible for the battery to have enough juice to operate lights and the windows but not enough to crank the car... especially if the alternator is failing and delivering some charge when the car is on.

You won't really know until you check the voltage on the battery posts with the car on and off. If it's not that or a bad cell in your battery, then it's probably the starter.
I know it's run by the belt. I assumed it worked like the AC compressor and only engaged when needed. If it's not something engaging in the engine area, why do I only hear it when I press the button when the window is already fully closed or open? And what about when I hear it after turning the headlights on?

The sound I hear is a change in RPM (confirmed by the gauge), not a switch.

The battery would have run down months ago when this first started if it were the alternator.

Last edited by MKR; 08-26-2011 at 03:54 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MKR's Reputation
Old 08-26-2011, 05:02 PM   #9
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

It's always on. Your just asking for more from it, so it puts a larger load on the engine. Bigger load & same throttle = lower RPM.

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 06:55 PM   #10
MKR

1997 SC2

I'll go and have Advanced Auto check the voltage some time next week. What should I be expecting for prices on a used or new {starter, solenoid, alternator}?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MKR's Reputation
Old 08-26-2011, 09:43 PM   #11
Fingolfin

1995 SW2

I had to put down about $110 or so for a reman alternator from O'Reilly a couple weeks ago. I had close to this same problem... oddly, I called a shall-not-be-named place that does rebuilds, and they wanted to charge me $165 to rebuild what I already had. I paid the $110 for a reman with a limited lifetime warranty; you'd think it'd be cheaper to rebuild the thing.

Cheapest starter I found on RockAuto.com was $116 for an ACDelco reman starter (part 3361176A).

Pick your poison cost-wise I guess!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!