SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2019, 12:17 PM   #21
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2
Default Re: Clear lens headlights

Maybe check with the community college or university art department and see if they have glass blower?

Local artist or craftsperson might be willing to blow a clear glass lens for you.

It's a longshot but I have always been curious how that would turn out.

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 141k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2019, 02:07 PM   #22
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

The yellow egg yoke can be sanded out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 06:56 PM   #23
98_Gold_Uranus
98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
The yellow egg yoke can be sanded out.
If you're referring to the amber "orb" corner lens in the 2000 headlight assembly, it looks to be glued in, but I haven't popped the lens off yet, so I can't say for sure

Or are you referring to the old 98 headlights? I know the discoloring can be sanded out, but that's not the issue at hand lol

98 SL2, 70k miles, kept in the family since new!

Her name is Uranus :)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 98_Gold_Uranus's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 98_Gold_Uranus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
98_Gold_Uranus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 03:22 PM   #24
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1

Absolutely amazing!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 08:00 PM   #25
2000sl1blue
2000sl1blue is a glorious beacon of light2000sl1blue is a glorious beacon of light2000sl1blue is a glorious beacon of light2000sl1blue is a glorious beacon of light2000sl1blue is a glorious beacon of light

1998 SW1
2007 SKY Red Line

I happened to have found some on ebay last year and bought them immediately! I haven't seen any of them ever since. I swiftly installed 2.5" projectors. And yes this was for my 1998 SW1

Last edited by 2000sl1blue; 08-31-2019 at 08:05 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2000sl1blue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2000sl1blue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2000sl1blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 11:45 PM   #26
Hiisi
Hiisi is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

I have also realized recently that my 98' SL2 has very weak lights. Sorry for hijacking the thread, but could anyone advise fog lights solution? I have holes in the front bumper for them. What would be the most elegant solution? I.e. where to put a switch and relay, etc. Maybe some links where to get bolt-on fog-lights? Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Hiisi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Hiisi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Hiisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 05:44 PM   #27
jpsuli
jpsuli is a jewel in the roughjpsuli is a jewel in the roughjpsuli is a jewel in the rough

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiisi View Post
I have also realized recently that my 98' SL2 has very weak lights. Sorry for hijacking the thread, but could anyone advise fog lights solution? I have holes in the front bumper for them. What would be the most elegant solution? I.e. where to put a switch and relay, etc. Maybe some links where to get bolt-on fog-lights? Thanks!
I went through the process to wire in OEM fog lights in my second-gen SL2 and can tell you that they don't help with overall light. A member on here, to who I can't remember, made this video of him installing some cheap fog lights in the fog light hole. I'd recommend something better than what he purchased though.

If you can find the same car as yours with fog lights in a junkyard then you should be good, you'd only need to take the wires, housing, and switch from the inside. It shouldn't take anyone more than an hour to get all of it in your own car.

'97 Saturn SL2 @ 140k

r/Saturn_Cars moderator

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jpsuli's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jpsuli reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jpsuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 09:18 AM   #28
trottida
Master Member
trottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud of

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsuli View Post
I went through the process to wire in OEM fog lights in my second-gen SL2 and can tell you that they don't help with overall light. A member on here, to who I can't remember, made this video of him installing some cheap fog lights in the fog light hole. I'd recommend something better than what he purchased though.

If you can find the same car as yours with fog lights in a junkyard then you should be good, you'd only need to take the wires, housing, and switch from the inside. It shouldn't take anyone more than an hour to get all of it in your own car.
You also need the 6 pins and relay from the UHJB as well as the metal brackets for mounting the housings. The wiring from the switch to the UHJB is already there so wiring needed is only from the fog lamps to the UHJB and right ground pack. This is the most elegant solution and you can change out the fog light housings with aftermarket with better light output with a bit of modification.

Quote:
If you're going to go with a complete aftermarket solution then I'd wire the fog lamps using the parking light circuit with a relay (switched power source) and fused power to the UHJB positive. No real need for a switch inside the car and they would be on with parking lights, low beams and high beams. It would be good to acquire some OEM fog light brackets too but you can fabricate some.

Another solution would be to change your headlight bulbs to HIR bulbs (9011/9012) or LED which both have more light output. Refurbishing your headlight lenses is also recommended if they are hazy.

1999 SL2 MT (287,130 km @ 10/2019)
2012 Ford Focus SEL HB MT
2011 Suburban LT

Past Saturns
2001 SL1 MT (438,500 km 11y)
1993 SW2 AT (10y)
2001 LW200 MT (3.5y)
1992 SL2 MT (5y)

:canada:

Last edited by trottida; 10-22-2019 at 09:32 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 10:34 PM   #29
Hiisi

1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by trottida View Post
Another solution would be to change your headlight bulbs to HIR bulbs (9011/9012) or LED which both have more light output. Refurbishing your headlight lenses is also recommended if they are hazy.
Thanks, just ordered LED for both low&high beams.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Hiisi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-24-2019, 09:58 AM   #30
trottida
Master Member
trottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud of

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Quote:
Thanks, just ordered LED for both low&high beams.
You may have problems with the high beam bulb if your car is configured with DRLs. The DRL configuration is just a lower power supplied to the high beam bulb. With an LED the lower power will make them flicker or not work at all. I suppose you can disable DRL's using the bent pin method on the relay in the UHJB. I can't remember when DRL's were mandated in the US and which S Series would have them. In Canada we've always had them 91-02 S Series.

2011 Suburban LT

Past Saturns
1993 SW2 AT (10y)
2001 LW200 MT (3.5y)
1992 SL2 MT (5y)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-24-2019, 11:00 AM   #31
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

To date, the USA federal regulations does not have mandatory daytime running lights.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 11:38 AM   #32
Hiisi

1998 SL2

Quote:
You may have problems with the high beam bulb if your car is configured with DRLs.
Haven't thought of that Will keep them on all the times. Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-24-2019, 12:09 PM   #33
trottida
Master Member

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
To date, the USA federal regulations does not have mandatory daytime running lights.
So the DRL's are not enabled in S Series sold in the USA from 91 through 2002 then?

2011 Suburban LT

Past Saturns
1993 SW2 AT (10y)
2001 LW200 MT (3.5y)
1992 SL2 MT (5y)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-24-2019, 12:40 PM   #34
Pitcher
Master Member
Pitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura about

1998 SC2

Quote:
So the DRL's are not enabled in S Series sold in the USA from 91 through 2002 then?
They are on, but it's not "mandated" by Gov't.

Proud Owner of an Invincible '98 SC2 Rare "Red Hot" 5-Speed.
Castrol Edge EP + M1 Ext Perf. Oil Filter.

Owned 4 other S-Series.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Pitcher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Pitcher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Pitcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 09:44 PM   #35
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Yes, they're enabled are but not mandatory in the US market. Some disable them.

GM thought adopting DRLs from European lighting would prompt US legislators to make it into law as a safety issue - headlights may get the attention of drivers but hasn't been proven. During this phase of adapting drls for the US market, GM decided to be creative and save money. Creative by not standardizing wiring from one model to the next (S, L, Aura, Ion, Outlook) and selecting low, high or turn signal lights. Saving money by not using HID lights or leds. Saving money meant using halogen lamps in series or parallel wiring (with a resistor) in drl mode. Halogen lamps remain bright in series or parallel with resistor during daytime running without dimming, lamp life is prolonged. Some models use high beams while others use low beams in drl mode.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 09:30 AM   #36
trottida
Master Member

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Yes, they're enabled are but not mandatory in the US market. Some disable them.

GM thought adopting DRLs from European lighting would prompt US legislators to make it into law as a safety issue - headlights may get the attention of drivers but hasn't been proven. During this phase of adapting drls for the US market, GM decided to be creative and save money. Creative by not standardizing wiring from one model to the next (S, L, Aura, Ion, Outlook) and selecting low, high or turn signal lights. Saving money by not using HID lights or leds. Saving money meant using halogen lamps in series or parallel wiring (with a resistor) in drl mode. Halogen lamps remain bright in series or parallel with resistor during daytime running without dimming, lamp life is prolonged. Some models use high beams while others use low beams in drl mode.
In the case of the S Series the high beam bulb is used for DRL's.

The OP's best bet if he wants to run LED is to disable the DRL. There are good instructions with photos of one method here >> https://www.saturnspot.com/disabling...ng-t25662.html.

I have copy/pasted it below should the site every disappear. Text will show but photos may be gone.

Quote:
Alright...

Items you need:
-A 1991-2002 Saturn S-Series vehicle.
-A brain.
-At least one hand. Two are preferred.
-One eye... Wait, no, you could do it by touch if you had to.

What this procedure will do:
-Disable the annoying daytime running lights (aka DRL's).
-Disable the DRL's without affecting anything else on the car.
--Both headlights still work, low and high beam (foglights work too).
--No warning lights will flash or illuminate on your dashboard.
--You're not required to have a ghetto-fab jumper plugged into your fuse box.
-Allow you to re-enable the DRL's if the need arises, without having to carry the relay in your glovebox/map pocket/cup holder/etc.

1.) Pop your hood, unscrew the big plastic bolt on your underhood fuse box.

2.) Find the DRL relay. (Underside of fuse box cover has a diagram, it will be labeled "DRL".)

If you don't know how to read the fuse box diagram, here is a picture. The DRL relay is circled in red.

3.) Pull the relay out. Easily accomplished with a straight-up pulling motion and a bit of rocking back and forth (follow the arrows in the picture above).

4.) With relay removed, take a look at it. Cute, huh? Wonderous little things, relays are. Electromagnetic switches. Back on topic. Find the diagram printed on one side. See how it relates perfectly to the orientation of the pins on the side next to it.

5.) Find pin 85. Bend it flat against the relay housing so that it won't be inserted into the socket.

6.) Plug the relay back in. Enjoy cruising around without your DRL's.

7.) If anyone ever gives you any trouble about disabling a "safety feature", or if you ever feel the need to re-enable your DRL's, simply bend the pin back into place.

2011 Suburban LT

Past Saturns
1993 SW2 AT (10y)
2001 LW200 MT (3.5y)
1992 SL2 MT (5y)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-25-2019, 04:58 PM   #37
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

DIYguy has a better solution (IMO) than bending the pin - small jumper wire, post 11 here

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...pass+DRL+relay

You could also wire the jumper with a switch so you can have/disable DRL with a flick

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 141k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 10:27 PM   #38
edlee
edlee will become famous soon enoughedlee will become famous soon enough

1999 SL1

When I replaced my daytime running lights/high beam lights with LED lights, I did not have to do anything special other than reuse the original O-rings from the original incandescent bulbs. The O-rings that came with the LED lights were too thick. The only drawback with the LED lights is that they remain at the same intensity regardless of whether or not you activate the high beams.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to edlee's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help edlee reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
edlee is offline   Reply With Quote