SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-06-2004, 09:26 PM   #1
cjolly
cjolly is on a distinguished road

Default FM Reception

I was wondering if anyone else has poor FM reception in their Vue. I have a 2004 RL and the stock head unit had very poor reception. I thought it was the stock head unit but I just had a new Kenwood unit installed this weekend hoping the reception would improve, however it did not. Anything simple that could be causing this?

Is anyone else experiencing poor reception in their Vue.

Thanks
Chris

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cjolly's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cjolly reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2004, 10:24 PM   #2
D C
D C is on a distinguished road

The VUE is about the same as every other car I've had in recent years. Fringe reception is about the same.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to D C's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help D C reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-07-2004, 10:40 AM   #3
Faybert
Faybert is on a distinguished road

Do you have an XM Unit by chance? Active or not. Because if you do, and it's on, it drastically messes with Radio Reception. Turn it off, and you should be good. If not, I don't know, my radio is fine, as long as the XM is off.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Faybert's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Faybert reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-07-2004, 12:41 PM   #4
moneytrain8
moneytrain8 is on a distinguished road

I've noticed very bad reception with my Vue, as compared to the other vehicles I have owned and driven. In places where I got a normal signal in my old Wrangler (and currently get in my wife's Cabrio), the Vue's signal is staticy or non-existent. Very disappointing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to moneytrain8's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help moneytrain8 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-07-2004, 12:47 PM   #5
My 1st Ute
My 1st Ute is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 3.5L

There is a TSB addressing the poor reception in the 2004 Vue. I had my OEM head unit replaced, but noticed no discernable improvement with the replacement unit.

I would think swapping the OEM for a Kenwood would definitely fix the reception problem... Perhaps the problem lies in the antenna or coax cable leading to the head unit???

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to My 1st Ute's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help My 1st Ute reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-12-2005, 12:57 AM   #6
Blue Goose
Blue Goose is on a distinguished road

Default Re: FM Reception

Anyone else have ideas on this? I recently replaced my base cd player with the next step up Saturn MP3 player. While the CD sounds great the reception actually seems a little worse???

Is the unit defective or is that just how the reception is on Vues with the MP3 radio? Range seems very short compared to the base unit. Any ideas on how to improve reception?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Blue Goose's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Blue Goose reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-12-2005, 01:16 AM   #7
Blue Goose

Hey...do you guys think an am/fm antenna booster would work? I've never used one but was wondering if they really do work or are a crock?

Found this one at JCwhitney

Antenna Booster

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Blue Goose reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-12-2005, 10:28 AM   #8
BlkVue04
BlkVue04 is on a distinguished road

I have a 04 V6 FWD, and I get poor reception with it also. I wonder if its just a Vue thing. I also have had some gm cars with excellent reception and others similiar to the vue. As far as the signal booster, I have never tried one but a local auto stereo sales and service business told me they did absolutely no good and was a waste of money.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BlkVue04's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BlkVue04 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-12-2005, 10:53 AM   #9
kevin21403
kevin21403 is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

Check to make sure the wire from the antenna is connected to the wire from the head unit. I'm not sure where the connection is in the Vue. I had this problem with my Chevy Malibu. The factory didnt connect the two wires under the front passenger side carpet and the reception was terrible. The radio has no antenna to pick up FM radio if the wires are not connected. I have a 2004 Vue and the FM and AM reception seems really good.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kevin21403's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kevin21403 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-12-2005, 02:54 PM   #10
svbb
svbb is on a distinguished road

I've driven GM vehicles all my life, but the last 3 have been Saturns. With my first Saturn (98 SC2), I immediatelly noticed that my radio reception to some more distant stations had really decreased. Every time I've bought a new Saturn, I've always tried getting the stations, and have been unsuccessful. (My test is 99.1 WHFS in Annapolis MD while trying to get it in Fairfax, VA).

I recently swapped out my head unit with a high quality Alpine, and now, I get the reception I've been missing.

Regarding the antenna amplifier, you have to remember that any such amplifier not only amplifies the signal, but noise as well. It may be worth a try if you can return it, but new head units are cheap nowadays.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to svbb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help svbb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-12-2005, 03:58 PM   #11
Blue Goose

Well, the reception wasn't all that great compared to other cars I've had with the base unit but it seems even worse with the upgraded MP3 unit. Both made by Panasonic. Common theme there you think?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-12-2005, 05:10 PM   #12
mr weather
mr weather is on a distinguished road

I've got the AM/FM/cd/cassette "upgrade" in my VUE and the reception has been excellent since day one. No problems at all.

Panasonic generally makes decent stuff.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mr weather's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mr weather reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-12-2005, 05:35 PM   #13
guardm
guardm is on a distinguished road

I really did not notice any FM problems in my 03. But I replaced my headunit very soon after purchasing my Vue and have no issues with FM with my replacement.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to guardm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help guardm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-12-2005, 06:52 PM   #14
mbacis
mbacis is on a distinguished road

Our reception is pretty poor as well. Faybert mentions earlier in the post that an XM receiver can affect reception. I do have the XM option, although without active service. How is the reciever turned off? Is it on the unit underneath the rear seat?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mbacis's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mbacis reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread