SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2010, 12:27 PM   #1
DisturbedOne
DisturbedOne is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Sedan
Default Used '08 Astra XR - Good Buy?

Wow. Has it really been almost 3 years since my last post? In that time, I have sort of lost tough with the Saturn brand. I still have my '04 Ion2 Sedan and it's still running strong. But I just haven't kept up (other than with Saturn leaving us) and I'm not up to date with the newer models.

Anyways, my girlfriend is looking to get rid of her '99 VW Beetle (piece of garbage) and has found a used '08 Astra XR that has caught her eye. They want about 16k for it and it only has a little over 15k miles.

My question for all of you that own one, or owned one, is it worth it? Were there many, if any recalls on the Astra? Are there a lot of known problems with the car? Any info you could share would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DisturbedOne's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DisturbedOne reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DisturbedOne is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-2010, 12:36 PM   #2
RicksVue
RicksVue is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: Used '08 Astra XR - Good Buy?

Welcome back to the forums!

It's going to be interesting hearing the responses to your question. My wife loves her Astra. We've had no service issues and the local Chevy dealer is doing a good job of servicing it. We have no regrets about buying it.

However, you should understand that the car you're looking at is a one model-year, low volume product, built in Europe. Some are already reporting issues with parts availability. They've been around in Europe long enough for any glaring issues to be well wrung out, but it's worth thinking about whether or not you want an orphan.

-Rick

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RicksVue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RicksVue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RicksVue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 12:47 PM   #3
tackepj
tackepj will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicksVue View Post
Welcome back to the forums!

It's going to be interesting hearing the responses to your question. My wife loves her Astra. We've had no service issues and the local Chevy dealer is doing a good job of servicing it. We have no regrets about buying it.

However, you should understand that the car you're looking at is a one model-year, low volume product, built in Europe. Some are already reporting issues with parts availability. They've been around in Europe long enough for any glaring issues to be well wrung out, but it's worth thinking about whether or not you want an orphan.
I'd second what Rick said above. That said, 16k seems quite high. Many were able to get theirs for less than that new due to it being discontinued. Plan on poor resale value, too, so if you plan to only have it for a few years, I would look elsewhere.

I've had no issues with ours except for a fuel filler neck replacement, but I only have ~16k on it. It's been a pleasure to drive and still quite functional. After driving other cars in its class, it seemed to be the most solidly built and has a quality feel to it--very European.

Look for others in the area to get a good idea on pricing. Good luck!

Former: 2005 L300, 2007 VUE Green Line
Current: 2008 Astra XE

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tackepj's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tackepj reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tackepj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 01:34 PM   #4
99blacktop
99blacktop is on a distinguished road

I paid less than that for my car, new. When I bought mine, there were used cars on the lot priced higher than what I paid for my car new (due to incentives). For $16k, it had better come with an outstanding warranty, some kind of long term service plan and a suitcase of money in the trunk. Seriously, that price is way too high.

There have been no recalls that I am aware of, at least not since I bought mine.

If you read the forum, you'll hear of numerous problems, but bear in mind that like any internet forum, you are hearing from the vocal minority. Personally, other than fogged taillights (replaced under warranty), noisy rear brakes (also replaced under warranty) and a couple rattles, I haven't had any issues.

The car is an orphan in North America, but there are millions of them in Europe, so parts are readily available, you just might have to wait a couple of days. Personally, I don't find that to be much of an issue. I had a few parts replaced on my SC2, and even while the car was still in production, I had to wait for replacement parts.

I think it is a great car. My only complaints are the lack of cargo room (I had a VUE before the Astra) and the fact that I can't shift into reverse (manual) without waiting. I always back into my driveway and unless I want to grind it into reverse, I have to sit in the road for a few seconds waiting for things to stop spinning before I can put it in reverse. Sadly, that is the most annoying feature of the car.

My Saturn history:
1993 SL2 100,406 miles ('94-'98)
1999 SC2 118,537 miles ('98-'12)
2005 VUE 25,705 miles ('05-'09)
2008 Astra 27,014 miles ('09-'12)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 99blacktop's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 99blacktop reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
99blacktop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 04:56 PM   #5
aaronearles
aaronearles is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

not worth nearly that much money

2008 Astra XR5 - Arctic White

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to aaronearles's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help aaronearles reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
aaronearles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 05:43 PM   #6
DisturbedOne

2004 ION-2 Sedan

Thanks for all the input everyone. Again, it's much appreciated.

Here's a link to said car, with all it's info.

What would you guys think would be a good price? She's looking at this car, and possibly either a new Mazda 2 or a Honda Fit. She has a thing for hatchbacks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help DisturbedOne reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-14-2010, 07:34 PM   #7
Lunchbox1984
Lunchbox1984 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

ha, im just starting to see 16k on my loan that im eating up on high interest rate. im going to be eating this car and then some for quite awhile. bought mine brand new out of the showroom on January 2008 and have been enjoying the drive and the car, but not the price of my monthly car note.

Yes, keep in mind that the car has only been out for the full year of 2008 and 2009 was i think a full year as well, so there are fewer parts for it here in the states, if you need anything major, you will have to get it from Europe or the UK, as the car with our bodystyle has been out over there from 2004-2009, so just keep it in mind.

good luck with your choice and if you pick the Astra, i would tell them if they want to sell it to you, they better bring that price down and give you the warranty from hell on it sense its not being sold anymore over here.

Bertha [2008 F250 S.D.] 4dr|6.4ltr Diesel 350HP|4x2|6ft bed.
RED [2008 Sat. Astra XR] 2dr|1.8ltr Ecotec 140hp (will be missed)
Oggly [1984 Isuzu Trooper II] 2dr|2.0Ltr G200 89HP|White|4sp manual

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Lunchbox1984's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Lunchbox1984 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Lunchbox1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 08:37 PM   #8
darek_dade
darek_dade is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisturbedOne View Post
Thanks for all the input everyone. Again, it's much appreciated.

Here's a link to said car, with all it's info.

What would you guys think would be a good price? She's looking at this car, and possibly either a new Mazda 2 or a Honda Fit. She has a thing for hatchbacks.
I like the red leather inside You should be able to bring this car down to 12k easily. If not, go look somewhere else - there should be plenty of Astras on the used market.

09 Astra XR (manual, 3-door)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to darek_dade's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help darek_dade reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
darek_dade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:31 PM   #9
emg77
Advanced Member
emg77 has a spectacular aura aboutemg77 has a spectacular aura aboutemg77 has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

I love my Astra. I've had no problems with mine and have about 26,000 miles on it. That being said, with some of the horror stories I hear on these forums about parts taking weeks to get in, I question if I will keep it much past the 5 year, 100,000 mile powertrain warranty. I just don't know what I would do if I had a problem out of warranty that prevented me from being able to drive the car, and took over a week to get parts. Rental cars are expensive, and I doubt GM is going to pick up the tab for a rental if something like that happened out of warranty. I am going to enjoy the car for the next 3 years at least.

Drives: 2014 Volt, 2017 Acadia
Past Cars: 08 Astra, 15 Acadia, 12 Enclave, 09 Traverse, 05 Vue, 04 Grand Prix, 00 Alero, 97 LeSabre, 72 Cutlass S

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to emg77's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help emg77 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
emg77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 10:06 PM   #10
tallNewfie
tallNewfie is on a distinguished road

2009 Astra XE
2009 Astra XR

It seems that many of us (not all, there are some lemons out there) started falling in love with our Astra after the first drive. I have almost 30K Km, driven from Newfoundland, Canada to Texas, US loaded from ceiling to floor, including a roof rack, and have had absolutely no problems apart from a knocking rear hatch latch prior to purchase.

I knew I was buying a lone wolf, but to take off the lot for like $16K new with full 5 year extended warranty and arm-rest I couldn't turn it down. And if everyone leaves, I will still be happy with my one man wolf pack. ;-)

~~ Bryan ~~
2009 Astra XE - manual, wired FM mod
2009 Astra XR - auto
2001 SC2 - manual, sunroof (retired)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tallNewfie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tallNewfie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tallNewfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 10:12 PM   #11
Adam Opel
Adam Opel is on a distinguished road

The platform is solid. Suspension and brakes are great
Body is galvanised. Engine is weak.
Automatic transmission is without a doubt the worst in the world.
The general public, mechanics included, is ignorant about this car.
If you have respect for your money, better to stay away.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Adam Opel's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Adam Opel reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Adam Opel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 10:32 PM   #12
Aprime
Aprime is on a distinguished road

2009 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Opel View Post
Automatic transmission is without a doubt the worst in the world..
Haha no.

Aside from the mileage figures and being a 4-speed unit, I've seen worse and this is one of the best 4+O I've seen. Aisin did a pretty good job IMO. Still, I dunno how the 6-speed that's shared with the Fusion and last-gen Mazda 6 performs in this car.

What's with the leather wearing so quickly on the driver's side seat, seriously?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Aprime's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Aprime reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Aprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 10:44 PM   #13
Tom S2
Advanced Member
Tom S2 will become famous soon enoughTom S2 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

I have my blue 3 door XR that's about to turn 10k miles for sale. I really like the car but have a load of legal bills to pay because of a whacky co workers eeo complaint, so something has to go.

I put it on denvers craigslist for 12k. it is a manual.

for 18k i think you can get a new rabbit with a more competitive loan and a better resale. last year a base rabbit manual with one or two small options like alloys - basically the same car as my astra was 17k.

Astra XR-3-5 HP - Hamster Powered!
Dealer added options, & Infinity speakers.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom S2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom S2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom S2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 12:29 AM   #14
tallNewfie
tallNewfie is on a distinguished road

2009 Astra XE
2009 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aprime View Post
Haha no.

Aside from the mileage figures and being a 4-speed unit, I've seen worse and this is one of the best 4+O I've seen. Aisin did a pretty good job IMO. Still, I dunno how the 6-speed that's shared with the Fusion and last-gen Mazda 6 performs in this car.

What's with the leather wearing so quickly on the driver's side seat, seriously?
I wouldn't say that the automatic is the worst ever, but it is definitely not a selling point of the car to me. I went for the manual and absolutely love it (except for the need to be completely stopped for reverse). Even with a base model XE manual, it feels ten times as peppy as my brothers sporty version XR with auto.

~~ Bryan ~~
2009 Astra XE - manual, wired FM mod
2009 Astra XR - auto
2001 SC2 - manual, sunroof (retired)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tallNewfie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tallNewfie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tallNewfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 08:06 AM   #15
tackepj
tackepj will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE

The red inserts look great, very unique. At that price, it'll be sitting there for a while though. Keep shopping around.

Former: 2005 L300, 2007 VUE Green Line
Current: 2008 Astra XE

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tackepj's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tackepj reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tackepj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 02:07 PM   #16
gsrboi80
gsrboi80 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99blacktop View Post
I paid less than that for my car, new. .

As did I

03 TB EVO VIII (PT61mm BB) 450awhp Pump Gas (Weekend Warrior)
08 Blue Saturn Astra, 18's, and Leather (Daily Grind)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gsrboi80's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gsrboi80 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gsrboi80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 04:46 PM   #17
nicolas_p
nicolas_p has a spectacular aura aboutnicolas_p has a spectacular aura about

2009 Astra XR
2008 Astra XE

I paid that for a brand new XR in November last year

09 Vauxhall Astra XR3/STD
18" Team Dynamic MonzaR rims
Eibach Sportline, Whiteline BHR75Z swaybar and EBC Rotors
CD30 Mp3, Insignia jets, vxR surround, sharkfin antenna, Spoiler, Tint

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nicolas_p's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nicolas_p reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nicolas_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 10:09 AM   #18
GM Sky Man
GM Sky Man is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Ever hear of Kelly's Blue Book??? Check it out at KBB.com. You can get a better estimate of what the car's value is at this point in time. If that doesn't work for you, go to NADA.com and find the value of it there.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GM Sky Man's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GM Sky Man reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GM Sky Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 11:59 AM   #19
Driver001
Driver001 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

According to edmunds the Vehicles retail value for your area is $15,587.00 and $16,705.00 certified used. I was generous and gave the vehicle "outstanding" condition adjustment usually I would rate "clean" which will give you a lower vehicle value. I also added in all available options which this vehicle my not have. My recommendation is to pay not one penny above $12k (even less)for this vehicle. You also want to double check the vehicles history report Carfax, Autocheck etc. These used vehicles are not selling very quickly, so at that price the vehicle will be sitting on that lot for a long time (if it has'nt been already). I would also wait for the last sales day of the month to go in and possibly make an offer. Dealers are needing to meet their sales goals etc. I would offer at least $500.00 below the $12k max price to start off with as well. I would also attempt to find out how long the vehicle has been sitting at this lot as well (if has been a long time say 30+ days that will give you a lot of leverage as well. If they blow you off wait for the asking price to come down because it will (the longer it sits there). You will need a lot of patience no emotional car buying will not work under the circumstances!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Driver001's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Driver001 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Driver001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 04:24 PM   #20
DisturbedOne

2004 ION-2 Sedan

Again, thanks everyone for the info and tips. I've been passing it along to my gf and when we go shopping, I'll be going with her for some backbone. She'd give in too easily. Haha.

I've been doing some research the past few days. KBB prices the car at around 13k I believe. Carfax reports that it has had two owners. One had the car for about 6 months, the other had it for 5. It does have a clean record with no wrecks or anything, just a few services. No recalls either.

I did find another Astra here in town. These seem like the only 2 in our area. The other is an '08 5-door XR with 33k miles. They want 13,277 for it.

I think we'll go look around this Saturday and see what we can do. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!