SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2010, 07:32 PM   #1
XRLad
XRLad is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default HD video of Astra XR in action

Well finally before the end of the world i got around to getting the Astra XR 3 door of mine into some hard slaloms.
I have pushed the car hard else were and can drive well enough to put the car on edge but for some damn reason i cant navigate those damn cones lol.So wanting to get the best time out of the XR i enlisted the driving skills of my "fluent in pylon directional navigation" best buddy to give her a hard run .This way i wasn,t out there wasting tenths trying to find my way around.So with that being said here is some good video with different angles showing just how well our Astra Xr3 doors really handle .Shows just how well our Astra's can handle compared to other more pricey sport cars. There was 3 stock classed cars for this one and the Astra came right in the middle .The SI had us by a small margin but consider the difference in HP, the Astra would have kicked its butt with the same HP numbers.I have had this car for a year and just keep loving the car more and more, you can see stock every thing no mods what so ever and the car is very composed and balanced.Little body roll and every thing ,what i cool hatch indeed.Next i will buy some good tires for it as it had more if it wasn,t for the crappy Hankooks it comes with, anyways here are the slalom results link then the videos.Pay close attention to the final times in the results list,the Astra XR even beat a mildly prepared jetta with suspension and race tires.

http://www.mmsc.ca/web?service=album/9005

http://www.vimeo.com/user4434465/videos

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to XRLad's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help XRLad reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
XRLad is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-2010, 09:46 PM   #2
phatfire6
Advanced Member
phatfire6 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: HD video of Astra XR in action

This is so damn cool!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to phatfire6's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help phatfire6 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
phatfire6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:44 PM   #3
darek_dade
darek_dade is on a distinguished road

That's crazy! It looks so composed on the track, your friend is a great driver too!

09 Astra XR (manual, 3-door)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to darek_dade's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help darek_dade reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
darek_dade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 05:59 PM   #4
XRLad

2008 Astra XR

Yea he is one of only 2 i would let drive it there .Wanted some one who could drive it as hard as i do with the added bonus of that pylon deal i said lol.I wanted to post primarily to show a video of our Astra doing what it can do.A lot here already know it but i haven't seen many videos on here of one of us doing it.The Astra should have never been canceled as far as i,m concerned...yet they kept the cobalt...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help XRLad reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-20-2010, 11:03 AM   #5
phatfire6
Advanced Member

2008 Astra XR

Do you have any video of either LoCost 7 doing a lap?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help phatfire6 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-20-2010, 08:14 PM   #6
Aprime
Aprime is on a distinguished road

2009 Astra XR

I'll never understand why the 3-door in Silver looks so substential.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Aprime's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Aprime reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Aprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 01:23 PM   #7
wandern
wandern is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRLad View Post
Well finally before the end of the world i got around to getting the Astra XR 3 door of mine into some hard slaloms.
I have pushed the car hard else were and can drive well enough to put the car on edge but for some damn reason i cant navigate those damn cones lol.So wanting to get the best time out of the XR i enlisted the driving skills of my "fluent in pylon directional navigation" best buddy to give her a hard run .This way i wasn,t out there wasting tenths trying to find my way around.So with that being said here is some good video with different angles showing just how well our Astra Xr3 doors really handle .Shows just how well our Astra's can handle compared to other more pricey sport cars. There was 3 stock classed cars for this one and the Astra came right in the middle .The SI had us by a small margin but consider the difference in HP, the Astra would have kicked its butt with the same HP numbers.I have had this car for a year and just keep loving the car more and more, you can see stock every thing no mods what so ever and the car is very composed and balanced.Little body roll and every thing ,what i cool hatch indeed.Next i will buy some good tires for it as it had more if it wasn,t for the crappy Hankooks it comes with, anyways here are the slalom results link then the videos.Pay close attention to the final times in the results list,the Astra XR even beat a mildly prepared jetta with suspension and race tires.

http://www.mmsc.ca/web?service=album/9005

http://www.vimeo.com/user4434465/videos

That's really cool- thanks for sharing.

The 5-spoke 3-door XR came with Pirelli tires. I think they're better than the Hankooks on the 10-spokes. As well as my 5-door drives (although it came with Hankooks), the 3-door is firmer and more composed and sticks better with the Pirellis.

However, the Astra is so well behaved in the twisty stuff, I never tire of it. Going into a decreasing radius turn, the Astra will turn right in and gently understeer near the limits of traction- extremely controllable and very confidence inspiring. The stock shocks are showing their age after almost 80,000 miles and I'm mildly considering going with Eibach springs when I get new shocks. The only problem is that losing ground clearance isn't a good deal with a trailer hitch installed...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wandern's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wandern reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wandern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 01:45 PM   #8
phatfire6
Advanced Member

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandern View Post
trailer hitch installed...
What??? This sounds interesting. Pics and info in a new thread???

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-22-2010, 02:14 PM   #9
XRLad

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatfire6 View Post
Do you have any video of either LoCost 7 doing a lap?
Dont know really ,i dont , but the motor sports forum may.I will see what i can do .

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-22-2010, 02:22 PM   #10
XRLad

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandern View Post
That's really cool- thanks for sharing.

The 5-spoke 3-door XR came with Pirelli tires. I think they're better than the Hankooks on the 10-spokes. As well as my 5-door drives (although it came with Hankooks), the 3-door is firmer and more composed and sticks better with the Pirellis.

However, the Astra is so well behaved in the twisty stuff, I never tire of it. Going into a decreasing radius turn, the Astra will turn right in and gently understeer near the limits of traction- extremely controllable and very confidence inspiring. The stock shocks are showing their age after almost 80,000 miles and I'm mildly considering going with Eibach springs when I get new shocks. The only problem is that losing ground clearance isn't a good deal with a trailer hitch installed...
Agreed ,the 18,s are way better.I will be looking forward to replacing these Hakooks next summer with some real tires.Yea i hear you , it is well balanced indeed and never feels suddenly over the edge it just does exactly what u want it to do .I have always siad and my buddy to after driving it, the engine is enough but not enough to match the suspenstion as well as the 17 " tires are no match ether.If the car had about 200hp or so and some competition tires what a even better track car it could be.Still like u say though even stock i never tire of it....LOL i got to relax coming off those off ramps ,last time i was hitting 140kms...shame shame on me.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-25-2010, 09:53 PM   #11
opelnz
opelnz is on a distinguished road

Astra looks great

Put some whiteline front castor bushes and camber bolts in there and a white line rear sway bar (thats if you are allowed of course) and it will transform the handling from great to OMG great . I have those on mine plus with the 250hp remap it makes a great track day car .

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to opelnz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help opelnz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
opelnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:31 PM   #12
phatfire6
Advanced Member

2008 Astra XR

Do you know where to get a whiteline RARB inexpensively? It certainly is a big part to import.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-01-2010, 06:44 PM   #13
opelnz
opelnz is on a distinguished road

www.whiteline.com.au

They have dealers in NA so should be able to track one down cheaper than importing . Imo the rear sway bar is the best handling mod you can do

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to opelnz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help opelnz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
opelnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 03:50 AM   #14
m100
m100 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

They'll let you stay in Stock if you ditch the Hankooks?

Put some Hoosier A6's on there

"I love hot hatches..." Jeremy Clarkson

2008 Saturn Astra XR - Daily Driver
2005 Lotus Elise - Track Car
1991 Lotus M100 Elan - Project Car

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to m100's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help m100 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
m100 is offline   Reply With Quote