SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2017, 12:24 PM   #1
Jason1987
Jason1987 is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Climate control/lights

Hi, I have a Saturn L 300 with manual climate control. Is it possible to replace with auto climate control?

Also my heated seat and traction control light illumination doesnít light up when the lights are turned on at night. I replaced these switches in hopes It would fix the issue but it still does not light up. Any suggestions?

Thank you

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jason1987's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jason1987 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jason1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-2017, 01:54 PM   #2
soulsurvives
soulsurvives is a name known to allsoulsurvives is a name known to allsoulsurvives is a name known to allsoulsurvives is a name known to allsoulsurvives is a name known to allsoulsurvives is a name known to all

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Climate control/lights

Anything is possible with enough money and time. I have seen a few people ask about doing this and once they realize what is involved then the idea is abandoned. I have a 2003 with automatic controls and have had a 2002 with manual controls. I prefer the manual controls by far. As far as the heated seat and traction control lights go the bulbs are most likely shot. When you replaced them was it with brand new parts or used parts?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to soulsurvives's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help soulsurvives reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
soulsurvives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 04:41 PM   #3
Jason1987

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I bought used parts. However I tried 2 times with 2 different switches. Wondering if its wiring?

Also thought it was weird I donít have automatic climate control when I have a loaded 2002 L 300.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Jason1987 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-19-2017, 06:19 PM   #4
rb6667
Advanced Member
rb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to behold

2004 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
2004 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Soulsurvives information is correct. Stay with the Manual controls. The auto control panels tend to be very trouble prone based on comments posted here on this forum.

The Auto climate control was used in 03. (However, I did see a late production 02 with auto controls) Saturn went back to the Manual control for 04 and 05.

2004 L-Series Wagon 2.2
2004 L-Series Wagon 2.2
2004 L-Series Wagon 3.0

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rb6667's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rb6667 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rb6667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 07:28 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Thinking out loud here - does this mean I can have all the used climate control heads for myself?

1-The question to switch to the other control panel has been asked without success. The main reason? Wiring is different and unless a person has both sets of wiring diagrams and willing to jump into body control module pinouts along with other mods, it's not feasible by any stretch of the imagination.

2-My auto climate control button lighting died some years ago and I didn't notice it until I realized I couldn't find the buttons at night. The backlit display is fine. It's too much work to determine from pinouts which wire(s) supply pulsed power to the LEDs from the bcm so I decided to go another route. Adapting led dome lights and powering them from the 12v pin of the 12v to 5v regulator on the circuit board. This was about a year ago and button lighting is fine. They're on when ignition is turned on, an unwanted compromise but if LEDs are long life then this shouldn't matter as I can see the controls at night when they're needed instead of hunting and feeling around while being distracted.

A little annoying but another problem I have - the electronic temperature dial is disheveled, not broken but acts strange. In cool to cold weather the dial cannot dial up or down temperature quickly. When modifying the back lighting to LEDs, I noticed a small footprint taken up on the circuit board as the temperature 'pot' and presume it's a solid state unit as it has no stops and allows the dial to turn as if broken. I bought the car used and presume the temperature dial is as it is unless someone can clarify this. In cold weather I have to dial anticipated cold temps by presetting a higher temperature so I won't have to meddle with controls until the interior warms up when I can dial back excess heat. Summer ac temperature dialing is fine, just finicky in cold weather.

Last edited by fdryer; 12-19-2017 at 07:34 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 07:50 PM   #6
Jason1987

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Thank you everyone for replying. Im just going to keep the manual controls. But the lights out on the pass side heated seat and also the fog light button are annoying me. Ive tried 2 different switches and they still dont light up. I guess I will just live with it since itís functional and just cosmetic.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-19-2017, 08:48 PM   #7
Russet
Russet has a spectacular aura aboutRusset has a spectacular aura about

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason1987 View Post
Thank you everyone for replying. Im just going to keep the manual controls. But the lights out on the pass side heated seat and also the fog light button are annoying me. Ive tried 2 different switches and they still dont light up. I guess I will just live with it since itís functional and just cosmetic.
Only way is you can find on eBay matching blubs and solder them into the burned out bulbs. That is the only fix that is there. I had mine go out couple years but I had other parts and those can be fixed better then the Climate controls as those are small parts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Russet's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Russet reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Russet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 10:29 AM   #8
Sky Pilot
Sky Pilot is a name known to allSky Pilot is a name known to allSky Pilot is a name known to allSky Pilot is a name known to allSky Pilot is a name known to allSky Pilot is a name known to all

2003 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
2008 SKY Red Line

Interesting thread. I just replaced my auto climate control head for the 4th time in 13 years. The last unit "kinda" worked, but it was either hot or cold, no middle of the road. This same issue plagued the previous 2 units, while the OE unit just stopped working entirely after about 7 years. I have one more unit that I bought some time back as a precaution, hopefully I'll get a few good years out of the unit I just installed.

Absent the above issue, and not to hijack the thread, but in 45 years of driving and owning cars, this (LW300) has been the best and most reliable car I have ever owned. Certainly the only one I have kept for almost 14 years and put 180K on the ODO, and (fingers crossed) it still drives like the day I brought her home.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sky Pilot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sky Pilot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sky Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 06:37 PM   #9
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Sky Pilot, while a little off topic, I'm curious why you had to replace your auto climate control head several times. It seems to be random failures. While I didn't want to jump into my issues with possible problems of wiring due to the confined space of the connectors and spending too much time examining wiring diagrams to troubleshoot issues, it was easier to modify mine to have buttons light up. Since lighting is pulsed by the bcm, this complicates troubleshooting. I'm wondering if these issues are wiring/connection problems and not circuit failures. With compact circuits making it difficult to probe while powered up in the car, there's little room to maneuver with pinouts close together. A close up examination of my circuit board revealed very little in clues insofar as cold solder joints. The tiny circuit chips also prevents extensive troubleshooting while it's on the car. These are just some of my thoughts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 03:51 PM   #10
fsc66
fsc66 is on a distinguished road

Sorry wrong location

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fsc66's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fsc66 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fsc66 is offline   Reply With Quote