SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos


Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2010, 12:31 PM   #1
peter strawn
Junior Member
peter strawn is on a distinguished road
 
peter strawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: california
Posts: 32

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default bcm replacement issues

hello all,
i replaced my body control module(from a wrecking yard) because the security light and gas gauge were going nuts. this fixed those issues. my new issues are after doing the 30 minute no tools required programming of thew new bcm i have a wrench light still on and the new issue of airbag light on. i also gained 20,000 miles on my odometer!(terrible). what can i do to fix these GM wants 150.00 to program this.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to peter strawn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help peter strawn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
peter strawn is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2010, 01:43 PM   #2
ernesto rex
Member
ernesto rex is on a distinguished road
 
ernesto rex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Whidbey Island, WA
Posts: 245
 

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2003 VUE 3.0L
Default Re: bcm replacement issues

Peter,

The issues you describe doesn't surprise me. What surprises me is that you found a GM dealer willing to reprogram a used BCM. Everyone else who had posted here about their BCM issues could not find a dealer willing to do that. Considering most who purchased the BCM new from GM paid $400 and up, $150 is cheap money (if it works).

Ernesto

...
2000 LS2

2003 VUE 3.0 FWD

2002 MINI Cooper R50

1978 GMC PU 7.4L

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ernesto rex's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ernesto rex reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ernesto rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 02:13 PM   #3
KLS1P
Member
KLS1P is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: I80 and Rt 43
Posts: 262

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2004 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: bcm replacement issues

$150 will get you in the door. If you can walk away with everything working and the mileage correct consider yourself charmed. Let us know how it works out, since the BCM issues are becoming more common as the L series ages.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KLS1P's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KLS1P reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KLS1P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 10:13 PM   #4
Ex-GMtech
Advanced Member
Ex-GMtech has a spectacular aura aboutEx-GMtech has a spectacular aura aboutEx-GMtech has a spectacular aura about
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Akron, Ohio
Posts: 517

2000 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
Default Re: bcm replacement issues

I was under the impression that they can only be programmed once. If they can program it and it works, let us know.

...
OMG this car is easy to work on!

2000 LW2
2016 Impala
1986 GLHS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ex-GMtech's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ex-GMtech reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ex-GMtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 03:01 AM   #5
02L300sat
Member
02L300sat is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 66
Default Re: bcm replacement issues

i had a bcm replaced a while from a junked l300 they programmed it fine everything works great. but bcm had to be from the same year an model car. cost 450 parts an labor. dealer wanted 650 new.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 02L300sat's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 02L300sat reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
02L300sat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 11:59 AM   #6
KLS1P
Member
KLS1P is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: I80 and Rt 43
Posts: 262

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2004 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: bcm replacement issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02L300sat View Post
i had a bcm replaced a while from a junked l300 they programmed it fine everything works great. but bcm had to be from the same year an model car. cost 450 parts an labor. dealer wanted 650 new.
When the dealer programmed your junked BCM was the mileage the same as your origional BCM?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KLS1P's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KLS1P reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KLS1P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 04:38 PM   #7
peter strawn
Junior Member
peter strawn is on a distinguished road
 
peter strawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: california
Posts: 32

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: bcm replacement issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-GMtech View Post
I was under the impression that they can only be programmed once. If they can program it and it works, let us know.
Programming Theft Deterrent System Components
Programming Replacement Passlockô Sensor, BCM, or PCM

Important
The body control module (BCM) must be programmed with the proper RPO configurations before performing learn procedures. See Body Control Module (BCM) Programming/RPO Configuration .
If replacing the BCM with a GM Service Parts Operations (SPO) replacement part, the module will learn passlockô sensor data code immediately. The existing PCM however, must learn the new fuel continue password when the BCM is replaced.
If replacing a PCM with a GM Service Parts Operations (SPO) replacement part, after programming, these modules will learn the incoming fuel continue password immediately upon receipt of a password message. Once a password message is received, and a password is learned, a learn procedure must be performed to change this password again. A PCM which has been previously installed in another vehicle will have learned the other vehicle's fuel continue password and will require a learn procedure after programming to learn the current vehicle's password.

Conditions
Use this procedure after replacing:

Passlockô Sensor
BCM
PCM
Learn Procedures
There are two available methods to perform the programming procedure:

A 10 minutes procedure which requires a Tech 2 and a techline terminal.
A 30 minutes procedure which does not require the use of any tools.
10 Minute Learn Procedure
Tools Required
Tech 2
Techline terminal with current Service Programming System (SPS) software
Connect the Tech 2 to the vehicle.
Select "Request Information" under "Service Programming".
Disconnect the Tech 2 from the vehicle and connect it to a techline terminal.
On the techline terminal, select "Theft Module Re-Learn" under "Service Programming".
Disconnect the Tech 2 from the techline terminal and connect it to the vehicle.
Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
Select "VTD Re-Learn" under "Service Programming".
Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON, vehicle will not start.
Observe the SECURITY telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF, the vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlockô Sensor Data Code and/or password on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK.
Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
Start the engine, the vehicle has now learned the password.
With the Tech 2 scan tool, clear any DTCs.

30 Minute Learn Procedure
Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON, vehicle will not start.
Observe the SECURITY telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.
Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes, the vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlockô Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK.

Important
The vehicle learns the Passlockô Sensor Data Code and/or password on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.


Start the engine. The vehicle has now learned the Passlockô Sensor Data Code and/or password.
With a scan tool, clear any DTCs if needed. History DTCs will self clear after 100 ignition cycles.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to peter strawn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help peter strawn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
peter strawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 07:28 PM   #8
Ex-GMtech
Advanced Member
Ex-GMtech has a spectacular aura aboutEx-GMtech has a spectacular aura aboutEx-GMtech has a spectacular aura about
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Akron, Ohio
Posts: 517

2000 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
Default Re: bcm replacement issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter strawn View Post
Programming Theft Deterrent System Components
Programming Replacement Passlockô Sensor, BCM, or PCM

Important
The body control module (BCM) must be programmed with the proper RPO configurations before performing learn procedures. See Body Control Module (BCM) Programming/RPO Configuration .
If replacing the BCM with a GM Service Parts Operations (SPO) replacement part, the module will learn passlockô sensor data code immediately. The existing PCM however, must learn the new fuel continue password when the BCM is replaced.
If replacing a PCM with a GM Service Parts Operations (SPO) replacement part, after programming, these modules will learn the incoming fuel continue password immediately upon receipt of a password message. Once a password message is received, and a password is learned, a learn procedure must be performed to change this password again. A PCM which has been previously installed in another vehicle will have learned the other vehicle's fuel continue password and will require a learn procedure after programming to learn the current vehicle's password.

Conditions
Use this procedure after replacing:

Passlockô Sensor
BCM
PCM
Learn Procedures
There are two available methods to perform the programming procedure:

A 10 minutes procedure which requires a Tech 2 and a techline terminal.
A 30 minutes procedure which does not require the use of any tools.
10 Minute Learn Procedure
Tools Required
Tech 2
Techline terminal with current Service Programming System (SPS) software
Connect the Tech 2 to the vehicle.
Select "Request Information" under "Service Programming".
Disconnect the Tech 2 from the vehicle and connect it to a techline terminal.
On the techline terminal, select "Theft Module Re-Learn" under "Service Programming".
Disconnect the Tech 2 from the techline terminal and connect it to the vehicle.
Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
Select "VTD Re-Learn" under "Service Programming".
Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON, vehicle will not start.
Observe the SECURITY telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF, the vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlockô Sensor Data Code and/or password on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK.
Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
Start the engine, the vehicle has now learned the password.
With the Tech 2 scan tool, clear any DTCs.

30 Minute Learn Procedure
Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON, vehicle will not start.
Observe the SECURITY telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.
Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes, the vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlockô Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK.

Important
The vehicle learns the Passlockô Sensor Data Code and/or password on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.


Start the engine. The vehicle has now learned the Passlockô Sensor Data Code and/or password.
With a scan tool, clear any DTCs if needed. History DTCs will self clear after 100 ignition cycles.
Thanks for the info.
Only thing I can say is that this does not say anything about used BCMs and nobody has said that the mileage reads the same as before the replacement. I have done these procedures on other GM cars when replacing the ignition switches.

...
OMG this car is easy to work on!

2000 LW2
2016 Impala
1986 GLHS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ex-GMtech's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ex-GMtech reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ex-GMtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 02:51 AM   #9
02L300sat
Member
02L300sat is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 66
Default Re: bcm replacement issues

yea i have the exact mileage as i went in with when it came out

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 02L300sat's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 02L300sat reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
02L300sat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 08:37 PM   #10
ssicarman
Super Member
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold
 
ssicarman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Western Canada
Posts: 10,444
 
Default Re: bcm replacement issues

You can update or reprogam a BCM. You cannot change the mileage in it. AT ALL.
This is not something that you want to be easy to change. You might be honest about your cars mileage but the curber down the street is not going to quite so honest about it.

...
A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 11:06 PM   #11
Ex-GMtech
Advanced Member
Ex-GMtech has a spectacular aura aboutEx-GMtech has a spectacular aura aboutEx-GMtech has a spectacular aura about
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Akron, Ohio
Posts: 517

2000 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
Default Re: bcm replacement issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssicarman View Post
You can update or reprogam a BCM. You cannot change the mileage in it. AT ALL.
This is not something that you want to be easy to change. You might be honest about your cars mileage but the curber down the street is not going to quite so honest about it.
That was my understanding, also.

...
OMG this car is easy to work on!

2000 LW2
2016 Impala
1986 GLHS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ex-GMtech's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ex-GMtech reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ex-GMtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 09:28 AM   #12
KLS1P
Member
KLS1P is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: I80 and Rt 43
Posts: 262

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2004 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: bcm replacement issues

It my understanding that if a different VIN is programmed then the mileage can be changed. The VIN can only be changed once and this prevents the origional VIN being programed back and the mileage changed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KLS1P's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KLS1P reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KLS1P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 04:20 PM   #13
Ex-GMtech
Advanced Member
Ex-GMtech has a spectacular aura aboutEx-GMtech has a spectacular aura aboutEx-GMtech has a spectacular aura about
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Akron, Ohio
Posts: 517

2000 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
Default Re: bcm replacement issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLS1P View Post
It my understanding that if a different VIN is programmed then the mileage can be changed. The VIN can only be changed once and this prevents the origional VIN being programed back and the mileage changed.
Interesting. I, however would rather not put a used unit in and roll the dice on how long it lasts. Just me.

...
OMG this car is easy to work on!

2000 LW2
2016 Impala
1986 GLHS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ex-GMtech's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ex-GMtech reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ex-GMtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 06:42 PM   #14
02L300sat
Member
02L300sat is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 66
Default Re: bcm replacement issues

this is what happened with my bcm. my car wouldnt start cuz my security would come on an cut the fuel off. an my dash lights would all come on an stay on then go off an security light would come on. my autolocks didnt work an mydome light would stay on for like 20 or 30 mins after starting. so i tryed a quick fix which i figured would be worn key an still had the problems. called saturn quoted me a price of 650 for new bcm. talked to my friend next door whos a mechanic told him the problem an i said its the bcm giving me trouble he said he can fix it no problem an he will look into it. so he called told me he can get it used an programmed at saturn for 450 an 90 day warranty. i was told many of time on the forum that used wouldmnt work. an i told him that an he said he talked to saturn abn they said they can do it. so i was skeptical about it an called saturn. he called saturn of seekonk so i called saturn of warwick talked to parts department an they said i cant get a used bcm programmed an i said what if its from the same year an model he said YES that can be programmed only if its from the year an model of my car i have. he said he thought i was talking about taking it from some other saturn of a different year an model they said they cant program a year an model into another bcm from a differnt one they need it from the same so they can program vin an miles into it. but yes it can be done with a used bcm with the same year an model.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 02L300sat's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 02L300sat reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
02L300sat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 01:53 PM   #15
admiralbrown
Member
admiralbrown is on a distinguished road
 
admiralbrown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Rocky Hill, CT
Posts: 75

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: bcm replacement issues

We bought a used BCM and the mileage went from 98,000 to 34,000 on our car. After a lot of pressure we got the dealer to reprogram, Saturn of Berlin, now out of business. For $150 at least the key FOB worked again.
The said they wouldn't guarantee the BCM would work after the reprogram. They also said they would try to reset the mileage.
After we paid the key remote's did work, but the mileage wasn't changed. That was three years ago and we have not had another BCM problem. However our car has no resale value. When we tried to trade the car in two years ago, we were offered $800 because of the odometer. Needless to say we are still driving the car. Next March we are buying a new MINI Cooper Clubman and donating the Saturn to charity.

...
1987 Merkur XR4Ti, a morbid obsession
2000 BMW Z3, the least practical, most dependable car
2002 Saturn L300, The Wife's Car and the only automatic
2009 VW Jetta SportWagen TDI, 46 mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to admiralbrown's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help admiralbrown reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
admiralbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 06:50 PM   #16
peter strawn
Junior Member
peter strawn is on a distinguished road
 
peter strawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: california
Posts: 32

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: bcm replacement issues

GM said they would reprogram the new one for 150.00. i am to bring in the old one and he might be able to do a pull and load to the new one from the junk yard. so they will program a used one at Chevrolet. he also said he needs to program the ECM, so they can talk to each other. :0).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to peter strawn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help peter strawn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
peter strawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 12:05 PM   #17
rrmnet
New Member
rrmnet is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1
Default Re: bcm replacement issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-GMtech View Post
Thanks for the info.
Only thing I can say is that this does not say anything about used BCMs and nobody has said that the mileage reads the same as before the replacement. I have done these procedures on other GM cars when replacing the ignition switches.
Can a new or used BCM for a 2008 Saturn Aura be programmed using the no tools 30 minute procedure? If so what is that procedure?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rrmnet's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rrmnet reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rrmnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 03:00 PM   #18
fdryer
Super Member
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute
 
fdryer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NYC
Posts: 43,298
 

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: bcm replacement issues

You're asking a question about your Aura in the L-series forums that may or may not be easily answered. It's my suspicion Auras replaced the L-series as a makeover with possibly using the same platform but I can't prove it. The upgraded engine shouldn't change the EFI system or other electronics like the bcm, abs/tc, etc.. My guess is your bcm operates similar to GM's overall idea to use one format for every vehicle in the GM family unless service manuals stipulate changes. If true then you can use the procedures for the 30 minute relearn for at home replacement of used BCMs from post#7. Not new ones that are blank and require GM to program several things. Used BCMs retain mileage and cannot be altered. Remotes are lost unless the car is given to GM to program existing remotes and/or new ones to replacement bcm. Being unfamiliar with Auras and without service manual info, I'm guessing. Either call GM and ask or invest in a monthly subscription to alldata or Mitchell for online service manuals to have an answer unless an Aura member here can tell you one way or the other. One last thought - occasionally a GM tech comments in these forums and may read this thread and reply......

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shifting issues after valve body + input/output nut replacement amites S-Series Tech 7 12-20-2013 08:07 PM
Serpentine Belt Replacement Issues 4 Cyl mariopalumbo Vue General 11 07-01-2013 04:31 PM
SL1 SOHC - Post-Head Gasket Replacement Startup Issues atrain0007 S-Series Tech 8 04-03-2008 05:27 PM
Transmission mount replacement issues Raster S-Series Tech 9 09-07-2007 12:44 PM
Issues - 93 auto-tranny replacement HPINitro Miscellaneous Tech 12 03-17-2003 08:04 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:35 PM.

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SaturnFans.com. The Saturn Enthusiasts Site.