SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2018, 06:37 PM   #1
userold
userold is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default 2002 Saturn L200 switch assembly (driver's side window)

Saturn L200 4-door sedan
re: Switch Assembly - GM (22720089) in center console: driver's side window switch

The driver's side window switch would act up, in stages. Performance deteriorated until it finally stopped working at all. I went to a junk yard and got a replacement, the vehicle had a lot of animal hair and it seemed to be in the switch as well. I connected it and it worked... for a while. The switch went out in stages, again. It got to where you had to depress the switch for a few seconds, and then it'd work. Again, it just flat gave out.

I have the old part and want to take it apart, photograph it, and see if I can get a procedure together for cleaning and it re-assembling it. Since none of the other windows have ever had any problems, I wonder if it could be the connector somehow... Any ideas?

GM Parts World shows this part when in the "Center Console" area.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to userold's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help userold reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
userold is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2018, 08:12 PM   #2
02 LW300
Advanced Member
02 LW300 is a name known to all02 LW300 is a name known to all02 LW300 is a name known to all02 LW300 is a name known to all02 LW300 is a name known to all02 LW300 is a name known to all

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: 2002 Saturn L200 switch assembly (driver's side window)

It is possible that the window motor limit switches are acting up. Since the driverís window works differently than the other three. The window motor senses torque to stop the auto down function. Does the window close correctly and your only problem is open? You may just need a motor.

2002 L200/5 loaded, loving my stick shift car now with KYB struts and adjustable rear control arms.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 02 LW300's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 02 LW300 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
02 LW300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 04:00 PM   #3
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Before pulling apart your original driver side window switch I think it's worth hooking it up once again to see if the window might motor might be engaged again with it. If the window moves then you're probably safe to assume that both switches are okay and your problem may lie with the window lift motor, as 02 LW300 has suggested. Regardless, you have nothing to lose by attempting this.

If reinstalling the original switch and using it changes nothing then both switches should be tested for continuity. If that's good then you need to verify that power is getting out to the door when the switch button is depressed. If so then it's leading you toward a problem inside of the door, perhaps with the motor.

321,000 miles - Holy canolli!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 07:23 PM   #4
Russet
Russet has a spectacular aura aboutRusset has a spectacular aura about

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Have you tried Rock Auto to see if they list that part?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Russet's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Russet reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Russet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 05:39 PM   #5
userold

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Thank you for your information. If you're not discussing "Switch Assembly - GM (22720089) in center console: driver's side window switch", I don't know what you're referring to. Since I've already replaced this part with one from a junk yard, and it worked for a while, but went out also, I'm thinking of just replacing something else. I think that this would be the window regulator. I need to get at the part and I don't have a large enough Torx bit, it's at least a T30...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02 LW300 View Post
It is possible that the window motor limit switches are acting up. Since the driverís window works differently than the other three. The window motor senses torque to stop the auto down function. Does the window close correctly and your only problem is open? You may just need a motor.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help userold reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-24-2018, 05:43 PM   #6
userold

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Thank you for your information.

I was just hoping to go to a junk yard and purchase a used window regulator... after I get the old one out, so I know what to look for. I think that there are at least two variants of this part online at GM parts. I am trying to find out online first what size Torx bit I need to get the old regulator out.

I have no electrical testing gear. I've watched a few videos on this kind of task, I should study some more and invest in an electrical tester.

I appreciate everyone's help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrot View Post
Before pulling apart your original driver side window switch I think it's worth hooking it up once again to see if the window might motor might be engaged again with it. If the window moves then you're probably safe to assume that both switches are okay and your problem may lie with the window lift motor, as 02 LW300 has suggested. Regardless, you have nothing to lose by attempting this.

If reinstalling the original switch and using it changes nothing then both switches should be tested for continuity. If that's good then you need to verify that power is getting out to the door when the switch button is depressed. If so then it's leading you toward a problem inside of the door, perhaps with the motor.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-24-2018, 05:45 PM   #7
userold

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Thank you for your information. Their web site is awesome! I like how easy it is to navigate, they give you a wealth of information and great selection (which I've never seen anywhere else to this extent). Did I mention that the web site makes it the easiest I've ever seen to get to my vehicle part and that the web site is super fast? Elegant and powerful, this is how an automobile parts web site should be designed! Thanks for letting me know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russet View Post
Have you tried Rock Auto to see if they list that part?

Last edited by userold; 03-24-2018 at 05:55 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-26-2018, 08:54 AM   #8
userold

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

A T40 Torx bit is required to remove the window regulator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by userold View Post
Thank you for your information. If you're not discussing "Switch Assembly - GM (22720089) in center console: driver's side window switch", I don't know what you're referring to. Since I've already replaced this part with one from a junk yard, and it worked for a while, but went out also, I'm thinking of just replacing something else. I think that this would be the window regulator. I need to get at the part and I don't have a large enough Torx bit, it's at least a T30...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!