SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2011, 09:55 AM   #1
pschmidt
pschmidt is on a distinguished road

Default P101 and Map sensor location

I posted this in Astra general, but I think it should go here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm trying to help a friend out with his 2008 Astra. He has a CEL illuminated and the code is P101. He reports decreased fuel economy and slight hesitation. Alldata's info points towards a faulty MAP sensor.

Could somebody tell me where the MAP sensor is located? The schematic I have is essentially useless.

Thank you,
Patrick

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pschmidt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pschmidt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2011, 11:08 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: P101 and Map sensor location

Rockauto.com shows the map sensor (upside down). The orange rubber thingy is the flexible seal as it sits on the intake manifold. This might help you find it.

Are there any symptoms other than the error code?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg map sensor.jpg (9.9 KB, 43 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:41 AM   #3
pschmidt
pschmidt is on a distinguished road

Thank you.

I have the replacement sensor in hand. I swear I have laid hands on every inch of the intake manifold and haven't been able to find the sensor.

Is there a chance it is remote mounted?

Symptoms include slight decrease in fuel economy, and slight rev hang between shifts. We're hoping this is the culprit, but does this sound like a common problem? I'm a VW guy, so I'm kind of shooting in the dark here.

Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pschmidt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pschmidt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:09 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

The manifold absolute pressure sensor is just a pressure sensor measuring the subtle changes in the intake manifold between high vacuum to atmospheric pressure. Its another input for the pcm to figure out what part of the fuel maps to use when managing the fuel/air mixtures. It shouldn't be any cause for concern most of the time and can be difficult to troubleshoot if not measuring it for output with a multimeter. Voltage varies from 0.1-4.9vdc depending on engine vacuum. Most times when causing problems its due to exhaust recirculation clogging the small port that monitors pressures. It may even be a loose connection.

Look carefully as this may be hidden but the wiring should be visible. The map sensor is usually mounted directly on the manifold. Remote mounting removes its ability to measure the subtle vacuum. Think vacuum between the throttle body and the four intake valves on the engine block. The intake manifold is between the throttle body and the engine block.

Not being totally familiar with Astras, a slight rev hang and decrease in fuel economy can be from many things besides the map sensor. Cleaning the throttle body, replacing spark plugs (if due), clogged air cleaner, any crankcase ventilation system, frequent short trips where the engine doesn't fully warm up to boil off condensation, etc..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 04:43 PM   #5
jrman22
jrman22 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

This car (2008 Saturn Astra) does not have a MAP sensor is has a Barometric Pressure Sensor PN: 55573248. Most auto parts stores call it a MAP sensor but its actually a Barometric sensor. So all in all when looking to order this part it can be call both a "MAP" sensor or "Barometric sensor, just remember they are one an the same! Location: It took me for ever to locate this sensor and many hours online and finally had to go to the dealers...it is located on the outside of the re-fuel tube under the rear right bumper behind the rear right tire. You will need to crawl under the bumper look up to see it. Wish somebody could of told me years ago, have not seen any post or articles online where it is located. Hope this helps!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jrman22's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jrman22 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jrman22 is offline   Reply With Quote