SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2016, 11:02 AM   #1
crzyalbo
crzyalbo has a spectacular aura aboutcrzyalbo has a spectacular aura aboutcrzyalbo has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR
Default P0420 Power Catalyst System Efficiency below threshold (Bank 1)

Has anyone had this code before and if so, what is the best way to resolve it. Will changing the Oxygen sensors resolve the issue or is the Cat gone at this stage.

BTW: Power is strong with no apparent performance issues at this time.

Last edited by crzyalbo; 04-14-2016 at 11:06 AM.. Reason: more clarification

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to crzyalbo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help crzyalbo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
crzyalbo is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2016, 11:28 AM   #2
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: P0420 Power Catalyst System Efficiency below threshold (Bank 1)

homework:
https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=partne...=P0420%20astra

'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 01:32 PM   #3
crzyalbo
crzyalbo has a spectacular aura aboutcrzyalbo has a spectacular aura aboutcrzyalbo has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

Sorry. Jumped the gun without doing my due diligence. Lots of good info on the links provided.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help crzyalbo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-14-2016, 03:01 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

From the service manual;

Probable Causes:
1-Sensor or solenoid faulty
2-Connector terminal contact is damaged or corroded
3-Wire harness - Check harness for correct voltage, open, short to ground or short to voltage
4-Update control unit software - Check for the latest control unit update
5-Powertrain or Engine Control Module faulty
6-HO2S sensor contamination/damaged
7-Exhaust leaks or restrictions
8-Catalytic converter damage
9-Catalytic converter improper operation

Cross off 4 and 5, leaving the rest as most likely possibilities. Mileage can help determine whether or not a catalytic converter is worn out besides an obvious exhaust restriction making the engine run strange; no power until the precat O2 sensor is removed to provide an alternate exhaust hole.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 01:18 PM   #5
emg77
Advanced Member
emg77 has a spectacular aura aboutemg77 has a spectacular aura aboutemg77 has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

Check your flex connector in the exhaust system (just back of the engine). Chances are that is has a hole in it (somewhat common problem). It's a cheap fix (probably about $100-$150) to have an exhaust shop weld on a new one.

Drives: 2014 Volt, 2017 Acadia
Past Cars: 08 Astra, 15 Acadia, 12 Enclave, 09 Traverse, 05 Vue, 04 Grand Prix, 00 Alero, 97 LeSabre, 72 Cutlass S

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to emg77's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help emg77 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
emg77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 11:18 PM   #6
xdarkxfirex
xdarkxfirex has a spectacular aura aboutxdarkxfirex has a spectacular aura aboutxdarkxfirex has a spectacular aura about

Check for leaks and o2 sensors. More than likely a bad cat. If you dont want to pay an arm and leg to clear the code if it is the cat, use a spark plug fouler on the downstream sensor. It will make the reading and voltage more stable and fool the computer even with no cat.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to xdarkxfirex's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help xdarkxfirex reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
xdarkxfirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 09:22 AM   #7
waiter21
Advanced Member
waiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to all

2003 VUE 2.2L

Check for any exhaust leaks as this could contribute to the problem. But I suspect you have a bad cat and / or downstream O2 sensor.

You might try the de-fouler trick before getting serious about a cat converter

I added defoulers to mine AND a new O2 sensor because I couldn't get the old one out without destroying it. So I can't say for sure the de-foulers solved it, or the O2 sensor solved it. But I didn't need to replace the Cat converter.

no more P0420 code. I would recommend NOT clearing the codes. Do the mods and then if the problem is solved, the code will clear itself.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho....php?p=2193404

2003 Vue - 2.2L with Manual Trans. (Swapped)
Originally had 2.2L and Auto trans.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to waiter21's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help waiter21 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 02:26 PM   #8
ulemon
ulemon has a spectacular aura aboutulemon has a spectacular aura aboutulemon has a spectacular aura about

The Astra has two O2 sensors, right? When you say you replaced the O2 sensor I am guessing you replaced the one behind the cat, right?

EDIT: Dumb question, you guys mentioned downstream sensor like 5 times....

Last edited by ulemon; 05-31-2018 at 02:35 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ulemon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ulemon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ulemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 10:46 AM   #9
ulemon
ulemon has a spectacular aura aboutulemon has a spectacular aura aboutulemon has a spectacular aura about

Hey so I had a P0420 code, I bought an O2 sensor and spacer from Amazon. O2 sensor was ACDelco 55565000 and put that in the rear downstream O2 sensor location. I no longer have a P0420 code but I do have new codes that are P0161 and P0141 which is to do with the heater circuit for the sensor. So I guess my question is should I replace the o2 sensor again? Or is the computer confused that my o2 sensors have good data now? I checked live data from rear o2 sensor and its at a nice 430mV all of the time. Front o2 is fluctuating between rich and lean as expected and rear is lean.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ulemon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-27-2018, 11:25 AM   #10
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

ulemon, as you know, the original poster crzyalbo are like many members not following up to report whether or not a solution solved their problem. This leaves many threads open.

I'm not sure why there are two error codes, P0161 and P0141, pointing to the same problem (rear downstream heater in the O2 sensor). The heater, wiring and connections are issues, not the actual sensor itself that you verified by seeing output signals.

P0141 - https://www.obd-codes.com/p0141

P0161 - https://www.obd-codes.com/p0161

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 12:05 AM   #11
ulemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulemon View Post
Hey so I had a P0420 code, I bought an O2 sensor and spacer from Amazon. O2 sensor was ACDelco 55565000 and put that in the rear downstream O2 sensor location. I no longer have a P0420 code but I do have new codes that are P0161 and P0141 which is to do with the heater circuit for the sensor. So I guess my question is should I replace the o2 sensor again? Or is the computer confused that my o2 sensors have good data now? I checked live data from rear o2 sensor and its at a nice 430mV all of the time. Front o2 is fluctuating between rich and lean as expected and rear is lean.
I would like to add, that I am a little down on gas mileage (usually 26, im at 22 right now) and I am a little down on power but don't ask me how I know that all I will says im down on power by about 10 miles per hour while gunning it

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-30-2018, 10:36 AM   #12
crzyalbo

2008 Astra XR

My bad. i mucked around with things and eventually i changed both Cats. Car performs much better, in terms of mileage and quickness.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!