SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 10-30-2005, 01:47 PM   #1
Jens99SC2
Jens99SC2 is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2
Question Driver's side power window pooped out again 99SC2; other window/sunroof fine. Help?

Driving away from the Taco Bell drivin last night, I was rolling up my window and then, all of a sudden it just....stopped. No sound, no problem, nothing in the way...it just stopped.

Now, this has happend ever since I got the car in 99. Usually, though, it is stuck in the fully closed position, and if I just let some time pass (like a day), it will just suddenly work again. I don't know if it is really the time passing, or if it is restarting the car, or maybe just luck.

I told the dealership about it because one day it happened to be stuck when I was already scheduled to take it in for service. They said when they restarted it, they tried to open it and heard a loud POP--like a suction releasing, and said I probably wasn't using it as often so it just tended to get stuck in that position.

It happened with the sunroof after I had had the car 1 year, and they replaced the motor. It has happened with the other window occasionally, but I don't really use it that often, so it has probably been like 2 or 3 times, and again, it was fixed by just letting time pass.

Like I said, though, last night, it was on its way up and it got stuck. It's about 1/3 up (or 2/3 down, if you are a pessimist ) . I went home. Let it sit. Restarted the car and it still didn't do anything. I put a lovely target bag through the top of the door on the outside and tucked it in on the inside propped with an umbrella in case it rained, but that probably wouldn't deter a theif too much, lol.

Any ideas? I haven't tried it yet this morning. Also, if it is something I'll need to take it back in for...does the fact that it has been doing it since I got it and there is one documented time I told them about it enough to maybe, perhaps, make it so I won't have to pay zillions of dollars to have it fixed? Or, since it has been 6 years since I bought it, is it pretty much my responsibility?

Finally, if it matters: only other prob I've ever had--when I first got it, like a month later, it wouldn't start and the whole car shook and I got a service engine/engine problem warning. They said there was corrosion on the battery and replaced it, but couldn't find any reason for the shaking. I'm now on my 4th battery due to "corrosion" problems. 4 in 6 years seems a bit much to me. Only reason I brought that up is because battery=electricity; power window=electricity.... Just wondered if that was connected.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Jen

PS: I have read the similar threads in this forum, and other than knowing where the fuses are...I really don't know how to take anything apart, so please keep that in mind with your replies.
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?--Steven Wright
Jens99SC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2005, 08:25 PM   #2
tdm850rider
tdm850rider is on a distinguished road

2002 SL1
Default Re: Driver's side power window pooped out again 99SC2; other window/sunroof fine. Hel

prob for me was the pass window not going back up... fiddling with switch got it back up. problem was in switch, had the unit replaced. Now I don't have to worry about any windows, power mirrors... If there was no funny noise from the door (window motor) it just may be the switch.
'I can resist everything except temptation'

Thomas....
tdm850rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 09:49 PM   #3
FL_SL2
FL_SL2 is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2
Default Re: Driver's side power window pooped out again 99SC2; other window/sunroof fine. Hel

If you are going to take it back to the dealer for service, ask them to inspect the window regulator and reduction gears. That is very likely the issue you are having, but not guaranteed. They may also check the switches, the motor and some of the wiring if the regulator checks out.

You can make the argument that it was reported previously (under warranty?), you followed the instructions of the tech, and now it isn't working properly at all.

If you are interested in a DIY project, you've come to the right place... Plenty here can walk you through the diagnosis and repair.
...if Despotism failed only for want of a capable benevolent despot, what chance has Democracy, which requires a whole population of capable voters. -- George Bernard Shaw 1903
FL_SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 12:11 AM   #4
jambra1
Advanced Member
jambra1 is just really nicejambra1 is just really nicejambra1 is just really nicejambra1 is just really nice

1999 SC2
1999 SL2
Default Re: Driver's side power window pooped out again 99SC2; other window/sunroof fine. Help?

I'm wondering if, perhaps, the ball joint that pops into the plastic retainer in the slide channel has come loose, or if the retainer itself has broken. Had to replace that dang plastic retainer on one of my cars that was doing the same thing. I needed to rent a gorilla with vice grips to pop that thing in the hole but it finally worked.

Just a thought. I could be WAAAAY off base. Take the interior door panel off and look at it. Might be readily apparent.
jambra1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 07:40 AM   #5
FL_SL2
FL_SL2 is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambra1
I'm wondering if, perhaps, the ball joint that pops into the plastic retainer in the slide channel has come loose, or if the retainer itself has broken. Had to replace that dang plastic retainer on one of my cars that was doing the same thing. I needed to rent a gorilla with vice grips to pop that thing in the hole but it finally worked.

Just a thought. I could be WAAAAY off base. Take the interior door panel off and look at it. Might be readily apparent.
Actually, to check out the regulator, removing the door skin will give better access.
...if Despotism failed only for want of a capable benevolent despot, what chance has Democracy, which requires a whole population of capable voters. -- George Bernard Shaw 1903
FL_SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote