SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General

Old 12-16-2018, 02:37 AM   #1
oxyhydro
oxyhydro has a spectacular aura aboutoxyhydro has a spectacular aura aboutoxyhydro has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION-3 Quad Coupe
Post My 05 quad just hit 300k, want to keep running good!

I havent really done to much to this car since I bought it with around 80k on it. I have only changed the coil pack, icm due to misfire on c4, spark plugs twice, purge valve due to shut off after filling up, flushed the radiator just cuz, drained some of the trans fluid and put some lucus trans fluid in-fluid was still pretty reddish which was very surprising, replaced rushed out brake lines and flush the brake system then, replaced the sepatine beat just cuz, replaced fuel filter, just replaced the original battery a few weeks ago which only died becuase my gf kept the radio on that has a system with the car off, I have had a small valve cover oil leak right above the injectors for awhile now just have changed the gasket, I try to use a quart of lucus high milage oil stabilizer every oil change, I have changed the full struts and rear shocks, and the ball joints to(wish I just did the whole control arm instead, those rivets where messed up!!) Weird thing is I have never took this car to a mechanic or anything and have done everything my self and saved soooooo much money but havent had any real problems but I feel people start having problems after getting there car worked on at a shop or something.

I keep getting the gas cap warning every week mainly at start up and a 422(small evap leak) every few weeks but cant ever find the leak, replaced the gas cap a few times with different brands and OEM, checked all lines and parts after the intake sensor(cant remember what it's called right now) to the canister lines with propane then just used throttle body cleaner to double check but couldnt find nothing, has been happening for years now sometimes it will go away for alil less then a month but comes back once I got a code for large evap leak and cleared it right away and nothing happened, I clear all the codes right away and the stay off so I'm not sure what couple be really causing this, i feel like my gas mileage is just alil bit worse but not much.

Is there anything i should definitely replaced soon since everything's pretty much is way over due, the car still runs great and havent had any problems or big codes pop up and I'm sometimes ruff on the car alil more then I should be.
support your local 81!

Last edited by oxyhydro; 12-16-2018 at 02:43 AM.
oxyhydro is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-2018, 03:21 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: My 05 quad just hit 300k, want to keep running good!

Just a guess here. A small and large evap system leak can be anywhere. I had both error codes, starting with a small leak that became a large leak on my L300. My fuel vent line (steel, around 1/4" dia.)) runs parallel to the main fuel feed pipe to the tank. NYC salting and both pipes near the right rear tire ensured they were sprayed with road rash, water and salt. The vent line rusted thru at a bracket and generated the large evap leak. Replaced the fuel fill pipe assembly with undercoating and errors went away. The L-series uses steel fuel and vent lines. Your Ion may or may not use steel. If nylon fuel feed pipe or vent line, plastic becomes brittle after years of exposure and plastic fittings may crack. Careful examination of these lines may reveal damage from wear and tear. Other areas of the evap system are more difficult to check.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 11:22 AM   #3
19boneatock88
19boneatock88 is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Sedan
2006 ION-2 Quad Coupe

The Ion uses steel fuel and evap lines, and they most commonly rust out right in front of left rear tire... just went through it with wife’s car... lines are 3/8” btw, it’s best to replace with all steel, but rubber *fuel injection hose* can be used in a pinch, just flare the ends of the hoses if you can and use two hose clamps on each end...
Jerama- WV

2004 Saturn Ion-2 sedan
L61/F23(FY1 swap), 178K
Too many mods to list in sig...

“Stock” is nowhere in my vocabulary...
19boneatock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 10:05 PM   #4
oxyhydro
oxyhydro has a spectacular aura aboutoxyhydro has a spectacular aura aboutoxyhydro has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Yea my fuel supply lines are metal and like plastic line evap lines. The fuel filler tube is plastic but I have looked at them kinda good and dont really see nothing wrong, I do have a old can of that undercoat spray paints I can coat everything in to see if it helps, I dont really have a fuel smell anywhere that I can tell, but this problem is weird becuase it comes an goes like i just did a over 300miles round trip(over 7hrs of driving) and nothing popped up or didnt notice anything wrong with my scanner/app the whole time but I just got the gas cap is loose message on dash yesterday a few days after I got back, it usually starts with that message then I'll get the small evap leak code p0442 but I have gotten p0455 once awhile ago but never came back after cleared. When there is no code or nothing the sensor the monitors the evap leak stays at 5.257l but when it detects something it goes over 10l which it says 10l is the max before setting a code. Usually around the message and code popping up when I am doing this test scan It always pics up something with the o2 sensors saying soming with to rich or lean or voltage but I always this it is a glitch becuase I'll scroll down then back up and it changes to lean 02 to rush 02 and then do it again then its voltage so idk. But I did get new 02 sensors just becuase they have never been changed even tho i dont think it that causing the evap leak.
support your local 81!
Old 12-27-2018, 12:52 PM   #5
oxyhydro

2005 ION-3 Quad Coupe

I'm also thinking maybe it could be the canister vent valve. I have had to replace the purge valve before almost a year ago due to after filling up the car would almost not start then like stall itself out if you didnt hit the gas. I'm thinking it has to do with a valve since the system picks up ok readings that stay the same then it it will get bad reading and stay bad. I did a code scan this morning even tho there wasnt a light and it showed a p0455 as pending, so maybe when when the car puts a light out it's a p0442 by then, not sure bit it's weird it comes an goes, it has to be like a valve or something like that.
support your local 81!
Old 01-03-2019, 02:03 PM   #6
Citation84
Master Member
Citation84 has a spectacular aura aboutCitation84 has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Had to replace the entire filler neck assembly for the same problem. New gas cap [AC Delco] made the light go away for awhile, but it came back.

Only real problem I have had in 14 years. Well that and crappy sway bar bushings.
Citation84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 11:52 PM   #7
oxyhydro

2005 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Well I used a vacuum gauge on the line coming off the throttle body and tee'd into that and it had fine reading whil running and needle was steady. I did a compression test and it came back 210 200 205 210 so that seems pretty good. I'm am burning what seems like maybe 1 quart between oil changes but havent figured out why yet, I have noticed there is some oil in the PVC line and I can smell like burning oil in the car when I accelerate some what hard and if I am sitting/warming the car up. I thought maybe it could be a head gasket leak but the test seem fine, there has been like 3/8 of coolant missing which is why I thought that's but the coolant looks fine also. Replaced the valve cover gasket also and still seems the same so I'm alil clueless maybe just normal for how many miles.
support your local 81!