saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General

Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2001, 12:03 PM   #1
avni_01SL2
avni_01SL2 is on a distinguished road

Default Snow report & ABS indicator light question

Hi all,

So last night's snowstorm was fun here in NYC. 3rd Avenue was an almost deserted swath of white snow, and my 2001 SL2 did so nicely on it, that I forgot to turn for the bridge, and didn't notice until I reached the end of Manhattan!

But I also got the opportunity to test the ABS system plenty in some areas. It is very obvious audibly and palpably when the ABS kicks in. In fact, if I was someone inexperienced with ABS braking, I'd be quite alarmed by the racket and the feeling that the brake pedal was trying to come up while I was pushing it down. There needs to be some population re-education about how to use ABS. I asked a friend of mine, "Do you know how to use ABS?" She said, "Umm, you pump the brakes? No, you hold them down? I don't know."

All of which is why an ABS indicator light is a good idea. So you know what's going on.
However, the ABS warning light on the dash never came on. I'm not sure if it is supposed to. The warning light is mentioned in two places in the Owner's Manual.
The first place (in the dashboard light section) it says that if the light comes on while driving, it indicates a problem with the ABS system.
The second place (in the section on ABS) states that the ABS warning light comes on when the ABS system modulates brake pressure!

So, do I have a problem, or are they all like this?

Avni

PS Anyone notice that the plastic panels and fascia make a horrendous noise when driving on wet slush, as the slush is kicked up into them? Really loud.
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2001, 12:18 PM   #2
Yankeez01L30094SL2
Yankeez01L30094SL2 is on a distinguished road

I was driving on I-287 between the NJ turnpike and Staten island last night and there where abandoned cars in the middle lanes!! It was chaos. I don't have abs on my SL2 but I didn't have any problems. I keep the trans in 3 and when you let off the gas the car slows down quickly but I am very careful about applying the brakes in snow. I was more worried about deep snow and the low ground clearence. What is the deepest snow a S-serie car someone has driven through? I know that kind of echo hollow type sound when slush is hitting the plastic body parts Avni.
Old 02-23-2001, 12:24 PM   #3
avni_01SL2
avni_01SL2 is on a distinguished road

Deepest snow? Well, when my care was just a few days old (I bought it 12/20/00), there was a weekend smowstorm. My outdoor parking lot had not been plowed and I had to get someplace. With a lot of stopping, and rocking back and forth, I plowed through snow about 8 inches deep. I was pretty concerned about the front airscoop (?) on the bottom, but everything seemed OK.

When I got to the highway, and hit about 50 mph, I started getting horrible vibration in the steering wheel though. Fortunately, as I suspected, the culprit was snow having gotten packed into the wheel underneath the hubcap, unbalancing the wheel. When I got out as much as I could, and the wheel warmed up a bit, the vibration went away
Old 02-23-2001, 12:28 PM   #4
chris00sw2
chris00sw2 is on a distinguished road

Took me 3 1/2 hours to get home on 78, going west from Union to Hunterdon county, NJ. I never see a light when the ABS goes off, but the light for the TC kicked in qiute often. Very helpful feature.
Old 02-23-2001, 05:09 PM   #5
Yankeez01L30094SL2
Yankeez01L30094SL2 is on a distinguished road

It took my wife 3 hours to get from Trenton to Monmouth county. She has the L300 of course and said the traction control was coming on alot but diddn't have the ABS come on. I guess you don't need it at max speed of like 7 mph.
Old 02-23-2001, 09:21 PM   #6
saturnal1
saturnal1 is on a distinguished road

Max snow depth I've ever went through in my lowered 97 SC2 was a constant 8-9" for about 10 miles. I live somewhat in the country here in Minnesota and the plows hadn't gotten out there yet. Luckily I have snow tires, otherwise I wouldn't even try driving. Fresh snow is actualy pretty grippy before it gets too packed by traveling vehicles.

Alex Plaster
Old 02-23-2001, 11:10 PM   #7
John10
Master Member
John10 will become famous soon enoughJohn10 will become famous soon enough

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2009 VUE 2.4L

It is not only the depth of the snow but the packing of it that will give an S series problems. Here in eastern PA last night the snow was very light due to the cold weather and my S handled it easily. I drove in 8 inches of unplowed snow and would not have hesitated to drive it down a street with 10 inches of unpacked snow of this type. The storm we had several weeks ago was of the heavy wet variety and my car had a much more difficult time when the snow surpassed 8 inches. If you encounter the heavy wet snow plowed into ruts and snow barriers of more than 8 inches, its time IMO to park an S series because the undercarriage tends to get hung up.
Old 02-23-2001, 11:51 PM   #8
Nuke-Em
Nuke-Em is on a distinguished road

Hmmm...a few weeks ago we had a rainstorm which managed to freeze. I was going about 3 miles per hour on the sidestreets. If I tapped the brake pedal, the ABS would go off. I had to put it into neutral and start braking mid-block in order to stop. I didn't dare turn the wheel. That was scary as hell.

Matt
Old 02-24-2001, 07:30 AM   #9
Heartbeat - '95 SL2
Heartbeat - '95 SL2 is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2

Has anyone tried the Spike Spiders, and do they work? Out here in So. Cal., I've only driven in slush once. I was planning on buying the spikes in case I go skiing, but for $250, I figured I'd wait until I actually needed them. Turns out I've only gone skiing out of town.
Closed Thread