SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 10-15-2015, 02:38 PM   #1
CaptainMouse64
CaptainMouse64 is on a distinguished road

2002 SL1
Question Front wheels squeaking when turning right or left

Hey guys, an issue has come up with the old 2002 SL-1. When I steer right or left, a very audible "squeak, squeak,squeak" sound chirps up from the front wheels. Both the right and left, but each has a different "squeak time" between when the "squeak" happens. Both are dependant on the speed of the turn, and the degree of the turn of the wheel.

It does not happen as much when I am backing up and then turn the wheel, like when I backup out of my driveway.

A friend claims it could be the brake rotors or some other brake part rubbing against the hub at a specific time during the revolution of the wheel, which makes sense.

But for it to happen on both wheels, right around the same time?

Any ideas, and any ideas how to check and correct this issue?
Thanks in advance guys and gals!
- A different kind of company, a different kind of car.
CaptainMouse64 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2015, 08:01 AM   #2
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1
Default Re: Front wheels squeaking when turning right or left

IDK but it might be the struts are squeaking in their lower mounts.
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 09:13 AM   #3
floridasl22002
floridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to behold

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

There is another thread on General with someone having a squeak issue at the front end. He found his dog bone bolts were loose.
floridasl22002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 01:23 PM   #4
Steve44
Steve44 is just really niceSteve44 is just really niceSteve44 is just really niceSteve44 is just really nice

1999 SL1
1999 SL2

Your brake pads have warning indicators that make that squeal when your pads are so low that they should be replaced.
Check your front brakes.
The SL1...The Lucky Car
The SL2..The awesome deal.
The #3 Silver SL2 FIVE SPEED!
World's biggest fan of doing it the easy way.
Steve44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 02:48 PM   #5
CaptainMouse64
CaptainMouse64 is on a distinguished road

2002 SL1

Hey guys, thanks for the responses. I don't think it's the brakes, it only happens when I am turning, not when braking when going straight. I will try the dogbones and tighten them down. If the struts are squeaking in the lower mounts, what is the fix?

thanks!
- A different kind of company, a different kind of car.
CaptainMouse64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 09:14 PM   #6
billr
Master Member
billr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to behold

Still, checking the brake pads is so easy to do, why not? It could be the indicators squeaking, even while not braking.
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 01:18 PM   #7
Steve44
Steve44 is just really niceSteve44 is just really niceSteve44 is just really niceSteve44 is just really nice

1999 SL1
1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by billr View Post
Still, checking the brake pads is so easy to do, why not? It could be the indicators squeaking, even while not braking.
^^^This.
Thinking it's not the brakes is not an option.
Check them.
The SL1...The Lucky Car
The SL2..The awesome deal.
The #3 Silver SL2 FIVE SPEED!
World's biggest fan of doing it the easy way.
Steve44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 02:31 PM   #8
Special Forces
Special Forces has a spectacular aura aboutSpecial Forces has a spectacular aura aboutSpecial Forces has a spectacular aura about

2006 ION Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainMouse64 View Post
Hey guys, thanks for the responses. I don't think it's the brakes, it only happens when I am turning, not when braking when going straight. I will try the dogbones and tighten them down. If the struts are squeaking in the lower mounts, what is the fix?

thanks!
Why do you assume your brake pads don't come in contact with your rotor during a turn? Deflection is a phenomenon typically on higher G-force vehicles such as race cars where the rotor actually becomes positioned at an angle during a turn and pushes the piston back into the caliper ever so slightly (look for race car drivers to tap the pedal with their left foot before entering the next turn, this is them bringing the piston back out). In our cars it may do as much as just lightly touch the rotor to the pad during a turn and give you a slight squeak sound. Typically I get the sound once the pads are worn halfway or a little more every now and then.
/// Need rebuilt valve bodies? PM Me. \\\
//// Why bother with ebay when I'm right here? \\\\\
Valve bodies built to order

Please PM me about valve bodies, do not post a visitor message.
Special Forces is offline   Reply With Quote