Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 09-07-2014, 08:26 PM   #1
eljefino
Master Member
eljefino will become famous soon enough

1995 SW1
2000 SL1
Default bye!

All right chaps, my last saturn just left my dooryard.

Short timeline:

2002-2004, 96 SL1, wife's car. Replaced with:
2004-2013, 00 SL1, wife's car, because it had A/C. Replaced with
2007 Chevy HHR (sad trombone).

In 2003 I picked up a 95 SW1 with 142k miles and drove it until last week when it had 241k miles. Transmission lost its last spec of synchro, so I put it down by the road with a for sale sign and someone bought it within a couple hours. My depreciation was approx $27 a year. Seriously.

Replaced with a 2005 neon.

Lest I commit some cardinal forum sin yakking about other makes, let me just gush about this stupid mopar for a minute:

-- It takes my stash of 175/70/14 tires, albeit on 5 lug rims.
-- It takes autolite 3923 plugs, the same form factor as s-series but maybe a colder heat range
-- It takes the 3614 size oil filter, and probably the 3600 if I don't mind it hanging down kinda low.

It's a penalty box, for sure. No tach. No inside trunk release. Freakish HVAC controls engineered to trick you into using AC no matter what.

I'm bummed it's not a wagon-- was trying to figure the HHR was a substitute but the cute ute seems to have blobs of plastic in the way-back that cramp luggage space to force the buyer into the next size up-- equinox or ??? Feh.

Cars these days. Hard to like 'em.

Tuned the neon up with a timing belt and plugs. Having done (many) s-series timing chains in the car, a neon timing belt is no biggie. Yeah, I try to shop for belt-less cars but will take what comes down the pike.

I'll still "flip" saturns when I find 'em. Just did one where the only real problem was the exhaust midpipe falling off the flange-- welded that up in my office parking lot after hours with a harbor freight 110V flux wire welder, sawzall, and short bit of tubing.
eljefino is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2014, 08:41 PM   #2
spacemanspif
Advanced Member
spacemanspif will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2
Default Re: bye!

Congrats on the new to you ride. I too will be leaving the Saturn world shortly as I've picked up a 2007 Focus wagon 5spd recently that will start pulling daily duty once I sell the Satty.
-Mike

1995 SL2 5spd - Stock/MP2 trans swap - 258,XXX miles - 38mpg @ 65mph
1987 Monte Carlo SS - 5.3/4L80E swap - 13.92@103mph - 19mpg @65mph - needs POSI
spacemanspif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 08:48 PM   #3
eljefino
Master Member

1995 SW1
2000 SL1

Yeah a focus wagon was on my short list, though I drove a dreadful focus with 75k that felt like 300k.

Co-irker has a dodge caliber that is basically an omni with 17" tires. It's not a wagon, not a hatchback, and not all that useful.
Old 09-07-2014, 09:36 PM   #4
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

I upgraded to a '02 Outback back in February and more recently a '03 Impreza. Not only do they put ease of working on and "lego" idea's we valued in the S-Series to shame but they have everything from luxury ride upgrades to full-on race/rally upgrades...most available from the dealer and the rest aftermarket
The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 06:56 AM   #5
eljefino
Master Member

1995 SW1
2000 SL1

Did I mention that neons come with really squishy rubbery engine mounts? Sound like any car you know?
Old 09-08-2014, 07:27 AM   #6
wi111y
Advanced Member
wi111y is on a distinguished road

1995 SL
1995 SW2

Neon and saturn oil filters are the same. The "srt4" filter is larger, and is the one I use.

They did change to the shorter filter due to ground clearance issues, I guess people managed to rip the filter off since it hangs down so low

The clusters are an easy swap too, and adding a tach is just a matter of swapping the right cluster in.

As for motor mounts... at least they have some semblence of an aftermarket.... lol
'95 SL 5 Speed 220k - DD
'95 SW2 5 Speed 230k - Gone!
'95 Camaro Z28 - Project
'00 Tahoe Z71 - Truck stuff
wi111y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 08:43 AM   #7
proveniebam
Advanced Member
proveniebam is a jewel in the roughproveniebam is a jewel in the roughproveniebam is a jewel in the rough

1998 SC2

I had to replace a starter and alternator on a Neon. Biggest pain in the ass ever.

There's a reason it's called PITAPOS. Pain in the A** Piece of S***. BUT the thing just won't die: It's done 1000 laps of enduro and still runs like new.

Keep an eye on the rust, especially the rockers.
proveniebam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 10:58 AM   #8
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Never drove a Neon, though I always liked the early ones. Had a Breeze for a year or two, was pretty nice... thought about checking into swapping a 5 spd manual from a Neon, but it seemed like a lot of work

Would have bought a Neon when I ended up with the Saturn, but could not find one in reasonable shape for a reasonable price
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljefino View Post
Co-irker has a dodge caliber that is basically an omni with 17" tires. It's not a wagon, not a hatchback, and not all that useful.
My Horizon was a hatchback, and very useful. IIRC, was a 4 spd manual but hit 40mpg. Sold it to a friend's brother who needed a car for organ delivery, and I replaced it with a Turismo since I liked the Horizon well enough. I looked at the Shadow when it came time to replace, was so unimpressed with the mpg that I kept looking. Ditto when I had to fly out to CA, looked at possibly renting a Caliber. Pretty crappy mpg for a small car.
I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 02:52 PM   #9
eljefino
Master Member

1995 SW1
2000 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by proveniebam View Post
Keep an eye on the rust, especially the rockers.
Someone ahead of me already riveted aluminum roof flashing all over them. Did a bang up job too, but I'm going to drill them out and weld real prefabricated ones in.

The SW1 was just losing its door sills to rust when I dumped it. Also the headliner was held up with thumbtacks, two door handles didn't spring "latched", my "Big Lots" RTV on the timing cover was leaking oil like a seive, it had three different size tires. (195/60/15, 185/65/15, and 185/70/14 ) The driver's window was off its track, but could be helped back home. The rear wiper had no spring to it. The exhaust was a series of botched ghetto riggings... including buying a flexpipe then needing a cat 6 months later. Would have preferred buying the whole thing at once. The drivers seat was a different color (from a SL2, cushy) and the cruise was stolen from another saturn, and installed craftily with a utility knife cutting up the steering wheel. The radio switched to preset 3 when I took off rapidly.

But the AC still worked. Yeah I'm gonna miss it.
Old 09-08-2014, 04:14 PM   #10
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Quote:
But a Neon is basically an Omni with, what, 14" tires and NO way-back. And serious headlight glaucoma (at least I haven't seen a Neon with non-cloudy headlights in years). Seems to me a Caliber would be a major step up from a Neon (unless you got the Neon in trade for, say, an old Sandisk MP3 player).
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 06:26 PM   #11
DJKrohn
DJKrohn is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2
1996 SC2

Quote:
All right chaps, my last saturn just left my dooryard.
Dooryard - Haha (..takes a sip of pop).
DJKrohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 11:53 PM   #12
007 is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2
2000 SL1

Good Luck -------

you will be back
007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 10:38 AM   #13
Tiger
Master Member
Tiger is a jewel in the roughTiger is a jewel in the roughTiger is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2

You sir are the MCGuiver of automobile repair. You will be missed....

My boss had a first generation Neon. It lost much of its paint and was down to primer and rust.
Truth alone triumphs, not untruth.
Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 05:19 PM   #14
eljefino
Master Member

1995 SW1
2000 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
You sir are the MCGuiver of automobile repair. You will be missed....

My boss had a first generation Neon. It lost much of its paint and was down to primer and rust.
Awww you flatter me. Was that neon primer purple by chance?

It's not macgyver mechanicing if it's not caught on video.

I have the harbor freight tire machine but dang it sometimes the beads just don't seat without help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Wsy...UYqrWrmuPp_l0w
Old 09-09-2014, 11:30 PM   #15
Tiger
Master Member
Tiger is a jewel in the roughTiger is a jewel in the roughTiger is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2

White Neon. Primer was greyish if my memory serves me correctly...
Truth alone triumphs, not untruth.
Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote