SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General

Closed Thread

Old 12-17-2002, 12:33 PM   #1
pitboss
pitboss is on a distinguished road

Cool ION Loaner

My retailer just let me have a 2003 ION 3 Sedan Automatic to drive for the 2-3 days that it will take to re-skin my VUE's cloth seats with aftermarket leather (adding factory Lumbar support) and add the rear bumper pad, mudguards, and rear wind deflector. My first impressions: it feels pretty quick and sporty. The steering wheel feels very small and might appear to the younger driver. The center mounted gauges are ....odd. The combination of materials in the interior is busy. I dont mind the dimpled plastic but the cloth door inserts look funky. I'm going to give some more feedback after I've driven the ION for the next few days. This one stickers at $16725. only options/accessories being floor mats $80.00 and rear decklid spoiler $250.00. It is silver blue with medium grey cloth (and light grey roof rails). Be back later with an update.
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-2002, 09:54 AM   #2
pitboss
pitboss is on a distinguished road

Sad UPDATE

Driving home from work last night the ION gave me an interesting experience. Its quick for an automatic. The little "pot pie" steering wheel feels strange. I love the wheel on both my wife's LW300 and even my steering wheel on the VUE feels more substantial. I can't imagine senior citizens liking the small "rice boy" steering wheel on this ION. The center gauge display is nice especially the illumination. However it feels weird to not have something lighted directly in front of you while driving at night. A couple of times I felt as if my lights were not on until I cocked my head to the right and picked up the instrument panel. I guess I'm one of those people who likes to easily see my speed rpm's gauges etc. The only downside to the loaner was the fact that it had about a quarter of a gallon of gas in it when I got it. Can't complain...I put 5 bucks of unleaded in it and will drive it for the next 2 days until my leather is put into the VUE. Would I purchase the ION? Not over my VUE..but I'd consider it as an inexpensive alternative to the wife's LW300. I'd have to purchase the lowest base model without any bells and whistles as I feel that is the best way to enjoy this ride. Simplicity and value.
Old 12-18-2002, 12:22 PM   #3
XtremeGrandAm
Master Member
XtremeGrandAm is on a distinguished road

Default A comment on the steering wheel

I am 19 I have showed the ION to a lot of my friends to get their comments. No one likes the steering wheel most people just laugh....Its too small and just doesnt look that right....But I didnt really like the steering wheel on my SC2 either. But it was better than the one on the ION.
Closed Thread