SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 04-12-2009, 11:25 AM   #1
JerryHughes
Master Member
JerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of light

1997 SL
Default Dielectric grease on plugs?

Hello,

After continual problems with pulling the spark plug wire off the end connector, just wondering how much dielectric grease I can slap on and inside the spark plug connectors so the next time I check or clean the plugs, the wires won't pull off the connector? Can I completely coat the "white" part of the plug with grease with no problems? Thanks,

Jerry
JerryHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2009, 01:01 PM   #2
1994Saturn
1994Saturn will become famous soon enough

1994 SL2
1994 SL1
Happy Re: Dielectric grease on plugs?

If it were me, (I never put anything on the plugs) I would just put a little amount on them. Nothing to soak them in, just a small amount.
Current:
1998 SL2 Auto issues 112K
1995 Eagle Vision 3.5L TSI 117K
Past:
98 SL1 254k miles Valves Burnt.
94 SL2 125K miles Diff Pin Blew!
94 SL1 Sold @134K.
1994Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 01:21 PM   #3
froggy81500
froggy81500 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: Dielectric grease on plugs?

Just a dab inside the end of the boot is all I've ever done, then once you put the plug wire over the spark plug, snap it on and twist it back and forth a couple times to spread it around. That's about all you need .

if you keep ripping terminals off the wires, you may want to think about changing brands of wires.

The Eco in the Ion doesn't have spark plug wires, but it still has spark plug boots between the coils and the plugs, and I still use dielectric grease in the same manner.
froggy81500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 03:18 PM   #4
JerryHughes
Master Member
JerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of light

1997 SL

Thanks guys. So you're saying that a little "dab" of grease on the metal part deep inside the connector wire, that connects to the end of the spark plug is all I want and none on the rubber part of the connector? (Or, easier, to dab a little on the very end of the spark plug terminal) And I am changing to Denso wires this time and I hope it's easier to pull off in time.
Old 04-12-2009, 03:28 PM   #5
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Yes, its a very thin coat of silicone grease on the plug terminal only and the coil tower terminal only. Any grease inside teh boot on either end will eventually result in tracking.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 07:50 PM   #6
JerryHughes
Master Member

1997 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
Yes, its a very thin coat of silicone grease on the plug terminal only and the coil tower terminal only. Any grease inside teh boot on either end will eventually result in tracking.
Thanks, will do. What is "tracking"?
Old 04-12-2009, 10:41 PM   #7
Fox Slaughter
Fox Slaughter is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2
1996 SL2

Just squeeze a dab out and fill the opening of the boot. Thats it. Push down and you're finished.
I'll be sitting at my desk
With a gun in my hand, wearing a bulletproof vest singing
"My, my, my, how the time does fly, when you know you're going to die
By the end of the night."
Fox Slaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 11:01 PM   #8
JerryHughes
Master Member

1997 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Slaughter View Post
Just squeeze a dab out and fill the opening of the boot. Thats it. Push down and you're finished.
Thanks but that's what I've done the past two wire sets and they still have been hard to get off, pulling the boot off the wire in the process. Frustrating.
Old 04-12-2009, 11:05 PM   #9
Fox Slaughter
Fox Slaughter is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2
1996 SL2

Man what is going on with yours? We've been doing it for years. Never had a problem. None of our 3 Saturns have problems pulling the plug wires off.
I'll be sitting at my desk
With a gun in my hand, wearing a bulletproof vest singing
"My, my, my, how the time does fly, when you know you're going to die
By the end of the night."
Fox Slaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 11:20 PM   #10
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

You may want to read up on the proper use of silicone grease. You can cause more problems than you fix if you are not careful. A sparkplug and or wire will have a shorter life time in a waste spark system because of the waste firing cycle. Expecting much over 30,000 miles of service is stretching it a bit. The boots should last just fine without and open end greasing and come right off when required.

This is copied from here: http://www.magnecor.com/magnecor1/main.htm

A common cause on engines (particularly those of Japanese origin) which suffer the problem of moisture accumulating in spark plug holes. In the interests of water-proofing the spark plug connectors, well-meaning installers fill an extended spark plug connector with too much silicone dielectric grease, which can prevent the terminal inside from ever locking onto the spark plug top. Driveability problems caused by water in the spark plug holes can be cured (after water is removed) by applying a smear of silicone grease inside the connector bottom seals, or onto the base of the spark plug insulator. This will help prevent arcing when the moisture again accumulates — however, driveability problems will not be cured if a connector’s terminal cannot connect over a spark plug top because too much silicone grease is stuffed into the connector. Remember, grease can't be compressed, and if too much of it is stuffed into a connector, the metal terminal inside will never be able to grip the spark plug top and the connector will never connect properly to the spark plug. Too much grease stuffed into flexible rubber spark plug connectors will cause the same problem, but usually the connector will only slide up on the spark plug, causing the engine to misfire.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 12:24 AM   #11
JerryHughes
Master Member

1997 SL

Thanks for the info. You'd think something so simple would be better known. Changing mine soon.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:11 AM   #12
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to behold

1995 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
Too much grease stuffed into flexible rubber spark plug connectors will cause the same problem, but usually the connector will only slide up on the spark plug, causing the engine to misfire.
This is a major cause or problems when people misuse the grease. Many coil towers are slightly tapered, and too much grease makes the boot slippery, thus making it want to slide away from the terminal.

As much as possible, you want to protect the connection without trapping in excess amounts of air since the air holds moisture and will eventually cause corrosion. Most plug boots and other flexible connectors will "burp" out the air if you give them the right squeeze.

I suggest OldNucs method of putting the dielectric on the terminals only. Putting it inside the boot area often doesn't let the grease reach the terminal (which is what you are really wanting to protect) but often creates a seal locking in air.
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 10:22 AM   #13
froggy81500
froggy81500 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signmaster View Post
This is a major cause or problems when people misuse the grease. Many coil towers are slightly tapered, and too much grease makes the boot slippery, thus making it want to slide away from the terminal.

As much as possible, you want to protect the connection without trapping in excess amounts of air since the air holds moisture and will eventually cause corrosion. Most plug boots and other flexible connectors will "burp" out the air if you give them the right squeeze.

I suggest OldNucs method of putting the dielectric on the terminals only. Putting it inside the boot area often doesn't let the grease reach the terminal (which is what you are really wanting to protect) but often creates a seal locking in air.

that's why when I posted earlier I stated to give the boot a twist back and forth to distribute the grease and not cause that problem. A little dab 'll do ya, as the saying used to go. As long as some of both terminals is protected from corrosion, you're good. Don't need to slobber the stuff on.
froggy81500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 01:48 AM   #14
mjoekingz28
mjoekingz28 is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2

A pack of this grease came with some wires I got at NAPA. I figured the less the better, so I used about a third of the pack and smeared it around the porcelain of the spark plugs very lightly.

When time for removal they were stuck on very good. Took alot of gusto to get the wires off the plugs. It seems the grease 'cooked' and hardened causing it to bond.

So, either some is not good at all or too little is not good enough
mjoekingz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:32 AM   #15
JerryHughes
Master Member

1997 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjoekingz28 View Post
A pack of this grease came with some wires I got at NAPA. I figured the less the better, so I used about a third of the pack and smeared it around the porcelain of the spark plugs very lightly.

When time for removal they were stuck on very good. Took alot of gusto to get the wires off the plugs. It seems the grease 'cooked' and hardened causing it to bond.

So, either some is not good at all or too little is not good enough
I used quite a bit on the inside of the plug wires for about a week, until my new wires came in the mail and I also had a hard time getting it off the plug! I think I used too much and it created a very good vacuum, making it very hard to pull off! Less is best, I guess.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:09 AM   #16
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to behold

1995 SL1

Used correctly it does cause a bit of a vacuum effect on the plug wires. But keep in mind that is also keeping the crap air/water/condensation out of the terminal areas.
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 09:02 AM   #17
xenonracerx
xenonracerx is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

I am having trouble putting the boot back on the spark plug. I bought some silicone dielectric grease. A little bit did not help, so I slathered some all over the both inside and outside of the boot. With all the force I can muster, I cannot get it to push down all the way. I can feel the metal inside the boot just start to engage and the boot won't slide down. When I remove it to try again, there is a serious suction going on. I am looking for a small metal tube to stick in there to break the vacuum. I have an old ice pick available, so I will try that next. I wish I had looked here first.

Thanks to SaturnFans.com, I just changed the CPS. The Saturn is alive again!
xenonracerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 09:29 AM   #18
VUEmaniac
VUEmaniac is a jewel in the roughVUEmaniac is a jewel in the roughVUEmaniac is a jewel in the roughVUEmaniac is a jewel in the rough

1997 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenonracerx View Post
I am having trouble putting the boot back on the spark plug. I bought some silicone dielectric grease. A little bit did not help, so I slathered some all over the both inside and outside of the boot. With all the force I can muster, I cannot get it to push down all the way. I can feel the metal inside the boot just start to engage and the boot won't slide down. When I remove it to try again, there is a serious suction going on. I am looking for a small metal tube to stick in there to break the vacuum. I have an old ice pick available, so I will try that next. I wish I had looked here first.

I would check to see if the connector inside of the boot is bent. It should snap onto the plug with only a small amount of downward force. I wouldn't "slather" grease inside of the boot. It just goes on the tip of the plug and a quick wipe with an amount about the size of a grain of rice on your finger is plenty. I generally apply it to the plugs before I put them back in, but you can use something like a coffee stirring straw/stick to put a little dab on there as well if the plugs are recessed out of reach of your fingers.

Best,
---
Don't blame a clown for acting like a clown. Ask yourself why YOU keep going to the circus.
VUEmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 11:46 AM   #19
JerryHughes
Master Member

1997 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenonracerx View Post

Are these wires you used before (not brand new) and are trying to get back on? If so, the metal "connectors" may have moved, inside the wire. I had the same problem and ended up cutting off about 1/4 inch of the RUBBER at the very end of the wire itself. Snapped right on after that. I just used a single sided razor blade and got a clean cut. Good luck.
Old 06-06-2018, 08:21 PM   #20
DonP1
DonP1 is a jewel in the roughDonP1 is a jewel in the roughDonP1 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2

Any issues if I changed plugs and wires and didn't use any grease? Should I go back and grease both ends of the wires?
DonP1 is offline   Reply With Quote