SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > 2008 Vue

Old 11-02-2008, 03:39 PM   #1
acdelco
acdelco is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.6L
Default types of oil?

What type of oil does everyone use out there? Conventional vs synthetic brand and viscosity? lets see it
acdelco is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-2008, 04:39 PM   #2
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY
Default Re: types of oil?

Any quality synthetic oil... Mobil 1 5w20 is easy to get at Walmart.

Cadillac has an interesting situation with the GM 3.6L in the CTS. The GM 3.6L comes factory filled with Mobil 1, like all current Cadillacs.

Some of the 3.6L's use oil and the owners are waiting for the OLM to tell them to change the oil, ~7k miles. They end up burning up their engines from the low oil levels and metallic debris suspended in the oil from the breaking in of the new engine.

Owners that come in for their oil changes are terrified at the price the dealer charges for a synthetic oil change service. Owners then put it off and unknowingly run the engines low on oil.

I suggest for every VUE owner to change the factory oil around 2500 miles and use synthetic. Then you can follow the OLM recommendations. Check your oil level at least once a month.

Don't forget about your automatic transmission. Periodic changes will help keep you from a big transmission repair bill.
2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 04:43 PM   #3
Growser
Advanced Member
Growser is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2
2000 SL1

Doesn't matter, just changing it regularly and keeping it full is the name of the game. This topic has been beaten to death numerous times. Do a forum search.
7 Saturn Car Family with + 900,000 miles.
2002 SL2, 2000 SL1, 1997 SC2, 1997 SC1, 1996 SC1, 1994 SC2, and now a 93 SC2 project car.
Growser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 07:06 PM   #4
acdelco
acdelco is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.6L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Growser View Post
Doesn't matter, just changing it regularly and keeping it full is the name of the game. This topic has been beaten to death numerous times. Do a forum search.
I was really just wondering what different types of oil people use on there vue's. kind of an informal survey to see how different people like different brands and what not. I just wish there were more people on this site
acdelco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 07:16 PM   #5
The Rayman
The Rayman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdelco View Post
I was really just wondering what different types of oil people use on there vue's. kind of an informal survey to see how different people like different brands and what not. I just wish there were more people on this site
Threads: 119,268, Posts: 1,247,578, Members: 36,380

This is the current count. Seems like a lot to me.

To answer your question, I dumped the factory fill around 2000 miles and put in Havoline 5W-30. I'm at 3700 now and will keep an eye on the oil as I'm not sure how the dino oil will hold up if I wait until the OLM goes off. If I can stand it until the OLM comes on, I might send a sample of the oil off to Blackstone to see how it did...
The Rayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 07:45 PM   #6
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

It's prudent to cover this periodically to make sure everyone gets the information. To rely on a dusty old post, even though it's the essentially the same information, may not be discovered by the newbies on the forum.

It all goes back to there are no dumb questions.

I dug up some new information about problems Cadillac owners have had with the 3.6L engine. Primarily it's based on the recommended use of synthetics and the cost of this maintenance from the dealer. The same situation could easily happen to Saturn owners. Everyone needs to periodically check their oil levels no matter what they drive.

Everyone needs to NOT wait for a light or a message on their DIC to perform a simple task like checking your oil level, or the pressure in their tires.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:37 PM   #7
1saxman
Master Member
1saxman is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L

'They end up burning up their engines from the low oil levels and metallic debris suspended in the oil from the breaking in of the new engine.'

Old wives' tales. There is no call to change the original oil before the normal change interval. Obviously it is required to check the oil at each gas stop on a new engine to avoid damage from low oil. Some engines will use oil for a short period but most will not. You just can't assume that it won't.
1saxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 09:05 PM   #8
1saxman
Master Member

2003 VUE 3.0L

Through the years I have tried everything, up to and including full-synthetic. Right now I'm liking 'synthetic blend'. Motorcraft is one of the best and has a great price. I didn't find what I was looking for in the Motorcraft last time, so I tried Castrol 'Syntec' synthetic blend. I only changed to it yesterday so I can't say much yet one way or the other. The only real important things are:
1) Check your oil frequently.
2) Change your oil and filter no less frequently than the manufacturer's recommendation.
3) Use only the factory recommended viscosity.
4) Use only high-quality oil and filters, equal to or better than those provided by dealer service.
5) Once you settle on the oil you plan to use, stick with it unless you have reason to change.
6) Have this service done by someone you trust to at least do no harm (not as easy as it sounds).

You are all quite lucky with your new cars today. Today's regular engine oil is many times better than that of just ten years ago. Notch it up to synthetic blend and again to full-synthetic and you can see that today's engines have the potential for lasting a lot longer than those of the past.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:11 AM   #9
mrgto
mrgto will become famous soon enough

I've used Mobil 1 in every new vehicle I've ever owned. I've never had any issues. I change it between 9-10K miles in my 92K mile Chevy Cavalier and between 5-6K miles in my Vue.
mrgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 11:21 AM   #10
Ritz
Master Member
Ritz has a spectacular aura aboutRitz has a spectacular aura about

2006 VUE 3.5L

I have used Mobil1 in every car I've owned. It doesn't take too many times of seeing a sludged up engine vs one that has been fed a diet of synth to realize that it's worth the extra $$$ to use higher quality oil.

I'll agree, though, that even bargain basement dino oil these days is MUCH MUCH better than in the past. So if you change it regularly you shouldn't have any issues. But I tend to "over engineer" so I'll stick with the best.

Cheers,
Ritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 11:28 AM   #11
BobbyP
Master Member

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1saxman View Post
'They end up burning up their engines from the low oil levels and metallic debris suspended in the oil from the breaking in of the new engine.'

Old wives' tales. There is no call to change the original oil before the normal change interval. Obviously it is required to check the oil at each gas stop on a new engine to avoid damage from low oil. Some engines will use oil for a short period but most will not. You just can't assume that it won't.
1saxman The owners with the damaged 3.6L engines were the ones that went beyond the oil change periods dictated by the OLM, many put it off because of the high price of the synthetic oil service, or just plain ignorance.

Old wives or not, I and many others feel more comfortable changing the OEM oil before 3000 miles to get out the debris from the new engine breaking in. I even seen owners post that they remove the OEM oil at 500 miles...

Much of the maintenance intervals are not totally in the favor of all owners of their cars. Perfect examples are the PTU and RDM in your own VUE's.

Automatic transmission fluid should be changed every couple years. The fluid breaks down with heat, and has particles in suspension that can cause your transmissions to not operate properly, or fail. Many of the maintenance intervals call for a 100k service which is IMO not in the owners best interest.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:46 PM   #12
1saxman
Master Member

2003 VUE 3.0L

'I even seen owners post that they remove the OEM oil at 500 miles...'

They are merely delaying proper break-in. Think about it - the engine was run at the factory and the oil and filter were changed out. There normally would not be any stray steel bits in an engine, and even if there were, they would be trapped in the filter. So, let's say that there are some steel bits in your new engine, and you start it up and leave the dealership with it. Right there you have done the damage, if any were to be done. 500 miles? It was all over at 500 feet. So, how about steel bits coming into the oil during break-in? Well, it could happen if there were a catastrophic failure such as a broken ring with cylinder gouging, but then that engine would be covered anyway, and the damage couldn't have been prevented if you did an oil change at every stop light, could it? Why would anyone think that the manufacturer would recommend the full service interval on the original oil if there were the slightest chance that he would be buying engines because of metallic debris in the oil? If an engine lasts 3000 miles, it can last for over 100,000 with any care at all.
Old 11-04-2008, 12:09 AM   #13
hand-filer
hand-filer is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1saxman View Post
'I even seen owners post that they remove the OEM oil at 500 miles...'

They are merely delaying proper break-in. Think about it - the engine was run at the factory and the oil and filter were changed out. There normally would not be any stray steel bits in an engine, and even if there were, they would be trapped in the filter. So, let's say that there are some steel bits in your new engine, and you start it up and leave the dealership with it. Right there you have done the damage, if any were to be done. 500 miles? It was all over at 500 feet. So, how about steel bits coming into the oil during break-in? Well, it could happen if there were a catastrophic failure such as a broken ring with cylinder gouging, but then that engine would be covered anyway, and the damage couldn't have been prevented if you did an oil change at every stop light, could it? Why would anyone think that the manufacturer would recommend the full service interval on the original oil if there were the slightest chance that he would be buying engines because of metallic debris in the oil? If an engine lasts 3000 miles, it can last for over 100,000 with any care at all.
Switching to synthetic will delay proper break-in? How so? Why do Corvette, Cadillac and Porsche leave the factory with Mobile1 installed. Please enlighten us.
hand-filer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 12:26 AM   #14
Ritz
Master Member
Ritz has a spectacular aura aboutRitz has a spectacular aura about

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by hand-filer View Post
Switching to synthetic will delay proper break-in? How so? Why do Corvette, Cadillac and Porsche leave the factory with Mobile1 installed. Please enlighten us.
Exactly. This is BS. A lot of cars now come from the factory with synthetic oil in the crankcase.

Personally, I usually change my oil the first time between 1000 and 2500 miles and switch to Mobil1.

Cheers,
Ritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:52 AM   #15
bigdude2468
bigdude2468 is on a distinguished road

Break in oil is no longer necessary. Modern machining techniques remove all of the particles that used to cling to the engine parts. An early oil change would remove those but not needed any longer. As far as oil I am using Castrol Synthetic mainly beacuse I am in Northern WI with extreme winter temps and also to extend the oil change interval. I am so used to the old rule of 3000 miles I just can't bring myself to go as long as the OLM recommends. I am changing twice a year now which is about 5500 - 6000 miles. As far as oil, any major brand that is SM rated exceeds the warranty requirements of all car manufacturers. We forget that the quality of oil, the additive packages, lubricity etc are far superior to 20 years ago. Just be sure to use the oil with the proper viscosity.
bigdude2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 12:26 PM   #16
twosaturns
Master Member
twosaturns will become famous soon enough

Cadillac has always had trouble trying to keep the owners happy. I remember back when they developed the northstar engine. it was originally designed for premium fuel. nope, that didn't sit well w/ caddy owners. so it got reengineered to run on 87 octane.
twosaturns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 03:57 PM   #17
ricksLS1
Master Member
ricksLS1 has a spectacular aura aboutricksLS1 has a spectacular aura about

I use any oil that is API certifeid. On my 2000 2.2 LS1 I have used mostly Wal-Mart oil and STP or OEM filters. I have 110,000 miles on my LS1. I do change every 3 months and use 5W30. The VUE also gets the same oil chnage interval and I do the ame thing. Just passed 60,000 on the 2003 VUE. I have NEVER had an oil failure or had to add a quart of oil. My 1993 Geo Prizim had 140,000 miles and I never had to add a quart using regular oil and STP filters.
ricksLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 02:13 AM   #18
dwassenaar
dwassenaar is on a distinguished road

Happy Re: types of oil?

Back to the question: I use Mobile One 5w30 in my new Redline Vue, as well as in my CTS and Corvette. I used to change at 3,000 miles or 90 days but those are the old days. If you do the research, you will find the computers in the cars calculate your driving and tell when to change the oil. Synthetic is worth the money in the long run and resists heat the best. I still am conservative and change once a year or around 50% on the gauge depending how often I drive the vehicle and how many miles per year. After many years of ownership and self maintenance, I still enjoy changing my own oil.

I have never had oil problems because of careful maintenance.

Best wishes.

Dave
dwassenaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 06:34 PM   #19
saturnd00d
saturnd00d will become famous soon enough

2008 VUE 2.4L

I have used Mobil 1 5W30 in my last 3 cars with no problems at all. I change the oil every 8-10K kms (about 5K-7K miles). If able to find, I might switch over to 5W40 or 5W50 for some extra protection (since our winters here in Southern Ontario are terrible), but nonetheless, I love Mobil 1 and will stick with it.
Old 11-22-2008, 04:42 PM   #20
paqrat
paqrat is on a distinguished road

1993 SL1
1999 SL2

I use amsoil. I think its the best stuff out there.
paqrat is offline   Reply With Quote