SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General

Old 01-22-2008, 08:24 PM   #1
slv01sc2
slv01sc2 is on a distinguished road

Default two-mode Aura Hybrid

Any news of the Aura getting a two-mode version of GM's hybrid system that will be used in the new 09 Vue? It is the same engine used in the Aura so I think that it would be a given.
slv01sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2008, 11:09 PM   #2
darnell89
darnell89 is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
Default Re: two-mode Aura Hybrid

There is no news yet about the Aura having a two-mode hybrid. Saturn will probably make one since the Aura and Vue both made Hydrid vehicles. If Saturn makes a Aura that is two-mode it will definitely. blow Toyota & Nissan out the water. I think motortrend two or three months ago had a competion on the Aura, Altima, and Camry. The Aura came in last cause they said the Aura hybrid was to mild of a hybrid. So if Saturn does achieve in making the Two-mode for the Aura. Nissan & Toyota even Honda will be blown away once again by GM (SATURN). But if Saturn doesn't make a two-mode for the Aura then they will lose in that segment.
SATURN FAN 4 LYFE (Darnell)
darnell89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 10:04 AM   #3
spencerb
Master Member
spencerb will become famous soon enoughspencerb will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

It will probably be awhile. The VUE is the first FWD vehicle to get the 2-mode system, which is still only for SUVs. It's not like they can just drop the powertrain in the Aura. For one thing, it may not fit in a smaller car.
Past Saturns: 97 SL2, 01 SC2, 04 VUE, 08 Astra, 02 L200.
spencerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 07:01 PM   #4
Bertillion
Bertillion is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-3 Sedan
2008 AURA XE

Perhaps in the next generation, but I wouldn't hold your breath. I would like to see at least the Partial-Zero-Emission Vehicle system transfer over. though.
"Success is the happy feeling you get between the time you do something and the time you tell a woman what you did." -Dilbert
Bertillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 12:26 PM   #5
hyperlexis
hyperlexis is on a distinguished road

Boy that's a lot of people being blown out of a lot of water!

The two mode system is really the holy grail, however, GM can barely get it off the ground in the big SUVs. GM has not even been able to get the belt drive 'hybrid' system into significant production in the Aura for 2008, and the Malibu green line version is delayed until the later half of the year.

So unfortunately, I wouldn't be surprised if nothing happens until next year at the earliest. It's really very sad, and disappointing. I'd want one of the two mode models in a sedan, if it could get the high mileage numbers of the competition. The belt system is interesting, but alas, not terribly effective. The BAS-II may be a good compromise until they can introduce the Two-Mode system, but, again, no news on introduction.

Anyone else have any better, inside info on this matter?
hyperlexis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 09:47 PM   #6
Bertillion
Bertillion is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-3 Sedan
2008 AURA XE

They said the VUE 2-Mode with be avaliable in the forth quarter of this year. I guess that means we will see it June of 2009? lol That's one reason I don't think we will see a Aura 2-Mode anytime soon. GM has too much it wants to do and not enough time or money to do it all...
"Success is the happy feeling you get between the time you do something and the time you tell a woman what you did." -Dilbert
Bertillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 09:51 AM   #7
spencerb
Master Member
spencerb will become famous soon enoughspencerb will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

Another thing about the 2-mode: It's mated to a V6, so there is a risk that system in the Aura will turn out like the hybrid Accord. People weren't willing to pay extra for a system that basically gave power without the sacrafice in mpg. In cars, people want hybrids for gas mileage. Unless the 2-mode gives steller gas mileage with a V6 or can be adapted to a four cylinder, I don't see GM really going for it.

I can understand how it can be successful in SUVs, though. People who want SUVs want power, and they are now concerned about gas mileage.
Past Saturns: 97 SL2, 01 SC2, 04 VUE, 08 Astra, 02 L200.
spencerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 07:11 PM   #8
siregalahad
siregalahad is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE Green Line
Happy Re: two-mode Aura Hybrid

I just had an experience in which I drove an Aura around for three days while my Vue was having work done (all under warranty... thank you, Saturn!). Just from those three days, I'd consider an Aura even if it had the current mild hybrid installed. If Saturn comes up with a workable 2-mode hybrid, and then decides to smarten up and make a wagon version of the Aura, it would make alot of people quite happy.
After the Revolution, things will be different.
Not better, just different.
siregalahad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 04:54 PM   #9
K-1
Master Member
K-1 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencerb View Post
Another thing about the 2-mode: It's mated to a V6, so there is a risk that system in the Aura will turn out like the hybrid Accord. People weren't willing to pay extra for a system that basically gave power without the sacrafice in mpg. In cars, people want hybrids for gas mileage. Unless the 2-mode gives steller gas mileage with a V6 or can be adapted to a four cylinder, I don't see GM really going for it.

I can understand how it can be successful in SUVs, though. People who want SUVs want power, and they are now concerned about gas mileage.
They gave the VUE 2-mode a V6 to keep its utility. The AURA 2-mode will most definitely be a 2.4L 4-cyl.
Toyota: Moving Forward... off a cliff at a high rate of speed.
K-1 is offline   Reply With Quote