saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General

Closed Thread

Old 04-21-2003, 09:58 AM   #1
almost200K
almost200K is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-3 Sedan
Happy Storage Bins

I'm just curious...what do you use the little cubby hole to the left of the steering wheel for? - I found it to be the perfect location for my cell phone. I use the drop down bin underneath it for my change, and the arm rest stores my EZ-Pass. I wish there was a place for CDs.
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-2003, 10:12 AM   #2
ducklet
ducklet is on a distinguished road

I wondered about that, too, when I saw the oddly placed compartment on an Ion 3 at the dealership. I wondered if it was originally intended for something else besides storage.

I think if you get the cheap Ion with the cheapie radio, there's a hole under the CD player where you can store a few CDs. I might get that on my QC2 since I didn't upgrade the radio.

I just wanted some *closed* compartment (you don't get the closed center console on a 2) for my garage door opener. In my Jetta, I keep it in the ashtray. Jettas are too COOL to have any interior storage whatsoever -- I've learned to carry *nothing* with me now, not even a drink!

Maybe someone else knows about that mystery compartment next to the steering wheel. If it's not for your pet hamster, then I have no idea ...
Old 04-21-2003, 10:26 AM   #3
SonataInFSharp
SonataInFSharp is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

I use the one to the left of the steering wheel for my cell phone and sun glasses. The flip-down one to the left is for pens and paper so I can write down info in an emergency. I used the part under the steering wheel for change for a while but it made too much noise. The spot under the parking brake is for my cell phone while I am driving (I use a hands free unit and the cord is barely long enough, but it makes setting/releasing the brake a bummer).

The map pockets I used for... maps, and my cell phone charger. I keep my CDs in the glove box along with the owner's manual, I keep a map book buckled in the center spot of the rear seat, and I keep my underwear in the second drawer of my dresser.

How was that for long-winded? I have to keep my reputation as "Concerto"infsharp, ya know. I take that stuff very seriously.

*Drive it like you bought it.
Old 04-21-2003, 12:49 PM   #4
Bertillion

I use the one on the left for my cell phone. I keep forgetting it there though. Spare change in the flip down one. I have to pay tolls a lot. I haven't thought to put anything under the steering wheel yet. I will put my wallet or identification cards under the emergency break. I have a road atlas behind the passenger seat. I throw schoolbooks on the side doors sometimes. I really like that I can fit my umbrella and cd's under the seats. That way people can't see them in my car. My old SL1 couldn't fit anything under the seats. I throw the rest in the glove compartment. There is plenty of storage space in this car for me. Not to mention the huge trunk. I got a cargo liner for it. I'm happy.

Old 04-21-2003, 01:06 PM   #5
zborgerd
zborgerd is on a distinguished road

My sunglasses have been going in that thing on the top left. The closable one is empty. The bin beneath the stereo has about 3 CDs in it. Trunk has a net that holds flashlight, tools, etc. That one's worth the $30 to keep things from flying around the trunk.
Old 04-21-2003, 01:22 PM   #6
swoker183
swoker183 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION Red Line

Quote:
I use the one on the left for my cell phone. I keep forgetting it there though. Spare change in the flip down one.
thats what i do too.
Old 07-22-2005, 06:09 PM   #7
Elsongs
Elsongs is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: Storage Bins

Cubbyhole in dash: Cellphone, handsfree headset, sunglasses

Drawer under dash: Change (parking meters, vending machines, etc)

Glove compartment: Manual, mini-folder with insurance/registration documentation, pens, maps and ATM deposit envelopes

Door containers: Usually nothing, but right now I have flyers for my band's next show in the dirver's side door

Passenger seat pocket: Sunshade

Trunk: I'm a musician and play keyboards so I always keep a keyboard stand, foldable hand dolly and keyboard bench in there, plus a blue plastic bin containing an extension cord, toolbox and other items.

Spare Tire/Battery receptacle: In the surplus space in there I keep a first-aid kit, jumper cables, a roll of paper towels and an oil funnel.
Old 07-22-2005, 07:20 PM   #8
DSLaBuda
DSLaBuda is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-1 Sedan
1997 SL1

to the left of the steering wheel is for my cell phone, perfect size. the flipdown one under that is perfect for my alpine remote & contact rewetting drops. the one under the steering wheel holds whatever, wallet/ciggs (flame me)/napkins--although on the way to work it held a really fast red spider...
-DS
"I'm a product, of my environment
So don't blame me, I just work here"
But I want to **** it all up!!"
Offspring - Americana
Old 07-22-2005, 07:35 PM   #9
NOLA-Vue
NOLA-Vue is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE
2006 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost200K
I'm just curious...what do you use the little cubby hole to the left of the steering wheel for? - I found it to be the perfect location for my cell phone. I use the drop down bin underneath it for my change, and the arm rest stores my EZ-Pass. I wish there was a place for CDs.
My 04' ION3 has a storage bin under the console center arm rest that can hold 6 to 8 CD's inside it. Maybe the 03' ION3 does not have the arm rest feature but you might try slideing the top-lid of the arm rest forward and try to lift it up to see if you have the storage bin under it. I'd almost be willing to bet that if you have the center arm rest in your 03' console there will be a storage bin inside it.
"The principle difference between a man and a dog is that if you take a dog in and make him prosperous, he won't bite you!" - Mark Twain

2008 Aura XE-4
2006 VUE 2.2L
Old 07-22-2005, 07:55 PM   #10
2004NJVue
Advanced Member
2004NJVue is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L
1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA-Vue
My 04' ION3 has a storage bin under the console center arm rest that can hold 6 to 8 CD's inside it. Maybe the 03' ION3 does not have the arm rest feature but you might try slideing the top-lid of the arm rest forward and try to lift it up to see if you have the storage bin under it. I'd almost be willing to bet that if you have the center arm rest in your 03' console there will be a storage bin inside it.

My 03 Ion3 had storage under the center armrest. I used to hold a few CD's in it. I would keep my cell phone/sunglasses in the cubby in the dash. The closeable storage under the cubby I would put all my gas receipts and empty it as needed. In my glovebox I would keep a minimap, my manual, and important insurance and registration info. In the door pocket I would keep restraunt information for when I traveled...so I could know where to stop for my favorite foods. In the trunk I kept a small box with a first aid kit, a portable CB, a full size atlas and some other JUNK. It was well organized.
Current: 2004 Saturn Vue V6 Awd (purchased new November 04) >130,000 Miles
1996 Saturn SL2 - 300,000 miles
Past Saturns: Ask me
Only live once, enjoy it!
Old 07-22-2005, 08:13 PM   #11
Elsongs
Elsongs is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSLaBuda
ciggs (flame me)
Naww, we won't do that...the flame willl just give you an excuse to light up.
Old 07-22-2005, 09:24 PM   #12
JDRedline
Advanced Member
JDRedline is on a distinguished road

2004 ION Red Line

The cubby hole under the steering wheel is the most useless.

When I used to store things in there, they would come flying out during acceleration.
Old 07-22-2005, 10:03 PM   #13
twizted_ion
twizted_ion is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe

i use it for my sunglasses. the folds dow one is used for my amplifier allen wrench, spare audio fuses and allen wrenches for my sub and shifdt knob (in case it comes loose). i put all my change in the cupholders, and my bass knob and frequency switch i mounted under the steering wheel in that hole. (perfect fit)
2004 ION QC2- AEM,Ractive Custom 2.5 Exahust,CF Hood, 17" DC Rimz, Skunk 2 Lowering Springs, Fiberglass Enclosure, Kickass System, And the FLIP Flop Trunk

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/801092
Old 07-22-2005, 11:40 PM   #14
blasterguy128
blasterguy128 is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-3 Quad Coupe
2003 VUE 2.2L

Cubby in dash: Absolutely nothing. Why does everyone put their cell phone here. Don't you have pockets?

drawer under cubby: Change (that I never use, it just keeps filling)

spot under e-brake: sunglasses

glove: usb hub, couple cables for internet etc.

under seat: small keyboard, 12" cold cathode tubes

seat pockets: magazines (playboy, maxim, car & driver, etc.)

console: 3 remotes for all the electronics

I don"t have cd's because all my music is on the computer. Same goes for maps, just use gps.

I also stored my radio in that blank spot below were the radio is supposed to go. There was only a fuse box behind their, sooo custom cubby.

O ya, I also store drinks in the cup holders.
Drive it like you stole it.
Old 07-23-2005, 03:25 PM   #15
Juba310
Juba310 is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-1 Sedan
2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

For those of you wanting space for CD's, you should get one of those visor holders. They hold about 15-20 cds, cost around 8 bucks, and are extremely convenient/easy to access while you're on the road.
Old 07-24-2005, 02:46 AM   #16
DSLaBuda
DSLaBuda is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-1 Sedan
1997 SL1

or just get an mp3 HU! :P

so nice only carrying 2 cd's and still have all the songs i want.
-DS
"I'm a product, of my environment
So don't blame me, I just work here"
But I want to **** it all up!!"
Offspring - Americana
Old 07-24-2005, 06:19 AM   #17
KevinF
KevinF is on a distinguished road

So true, I have an mp3 headunit and only 2 cd's in my car. Between those cd's 350 songs, or about 30 regular cd's worth. Someone just try and show me a 30 disk car changer

And since I know someone is going to bring it up.. 128kbps or 192kbps mp3's sound just fine if they've been ripped and encoded properly. If you say you can hear a big difference between an uncompressed pcm audio file and an mp3, I say its because of a crappy rip or bad encoding (or transcoding).
Old 07-24-2005, 07:55 AM   #18
joangel
joangel is on a distinguished road

there is no "cheap" ION. I wish I had the money I pay out to the bank every month for my "cheap" ION 2 in my own pocket instead.
Old 07-24-2005, 08:27 AM   #19
FL ION BY
FL ION BY is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-3 Quad Coupe

I keep my employee parking lot swipe card in that little area in the dash
Previous Saturn cars: 1993 SL2 Blue/Green, 1999 SC1 2-Door Dark Blue, 2003 ION3 Black
Old 07-24-2005, 07:29 PM   #20
Exalt
Exalt is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasterguy128
Cubby in dash: Absolutely nothing. Why does everyone put their cell phone here. Don't you have pockets?

drawer under cubby: Change (that I never use, it just keeps filling)

spot under e-brake: sunglasses

glove: usb hub, couple cables for internet etc.

under seat: small keyboard, 12" cold cathode tubes

seat pockets: magazines (playboy, maxim, car & driver, etc.)

console: 3 remotes for all the electronics

I don"t have cd's because all my music is on the computer. Same goes for maps, just use gps.

I also stored my radio in that blank spot below were the radio is supposed to go. There was only a fuse box behind their, sooo custom cubby.

O ya, I also store drinks in the cup holders.
sounds like you have quite a setup, do you have any pics? Can you post some?
2005 ION-2 Sedan...
2002 Olds Alero 3.4 V6...
"Everybody Wang-Chung Tonight!"
Closed Thread