Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General

Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2005, 11:05 AM   #21
bc3tech
Master Member
bc3tech will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XR
Default Re: Window Tinting???

Good news! I just called my dealership (again) and asked for the service manager. Once I got his ear and told him the TSB number and that I had my windows tinted and then found out about this, he looked up the TSB number and came back with his appointment book telling me this would be repaired at no cost to me! If you are even considering tinting your windows, call your dealership and speak to the service manager NOW! Be sure to have the TSB number handy. Also, If you already got your windows tinted, do the Saturn community a favor and call the place you got them done at and let them know of this TSB!
+rep always appreciated!

The Procharged Ion - http://kickassion.bc3tech.net
16.317s @ 85.30mph (Nearly stock)
188.28whp / 175.03wtq - SMP Stage 2 - 10psi

Last edited by bc3tech; 05-06-2005 at 11:17 AM. Reason: typo
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2005, 11:21 AM   #22
bc3tech
Master Member

2007 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRedline
If it does become a problem, then you still have Saturn to fix it.
If by "fix it" you mean they'd replace my windows, I would have no problem. However I highly doubt that would be what they'd do. They'd replace the seals and send me on my merry way with a ****ty tint job. Then I'd have to get that removed, which can rarely be done so that it looks decent, and then get tint re-applied for another $180 plus the cost of removal. I'd rather they research their applications before doing this, or fix it for free like they've agreed to do - so I'm happy now.
One could make the analogy to any other part of the car they knew would cause issues if you did something aftermarket to it. A part which could easily be replaced with something else to avoid the problem. Why leave it in? At least they learned the lesson and fixed it in the 05's
+rep always appreciated!

Old 05-07-2005, 09:46 PM   #23
blasterguy128
blasterguy128 is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-3 Quad Coupe
2003 VUE 2.2L

I had my windows tinited and I started noticing the scratches right away. I thought it was just the tint I had. Now that the scratches are major I think I will do something about it.

What do you think the best way of going about this situation is? Call dealer, Just go, or what?

By the way, my tint is 3m tint w/lifetime warranty. Will the warranty cover something like this?

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-07-2005, 10:20 PM   #24
Bertillion
Bertillion is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-3 Sedan
2008 AURA XE

I would see if you could get the dealer to fix your window seals first. If they wont do it for free pay to get the work done. Then go back to where you got your windows tinted and tell them to fix your tint for free sense you have the warranty.
"Success is the happy feeling you get between the time you do something and the time you tell a woman what you did." -Dilbert
Old 05-08-2005, 09:46 PM   #25
SLAPSHOT
Advanced Member
SLAPSHOT is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc3tech
I'll bet you feel felt on the outside seal and a rough, rubbery material that's a little slippery or greasy feeling (teflon) on the inner seal.
Alright, you're on. The 2005's have felt on the outboard AND inboard seal.
//SLAPSHOT//
05 VUE 2.2L 5 Speed
Old 05-09-2005, 01:03 PM   #26
bc3tech
Master Member

2007 AURA XR

Quote:
At least they learned the lesson and fixed it in the 05's
Looked over my windows after cleaning them inside and out only to find that I do indeed have these scratches.
+rep always appreciated!

Old 05-10-2005, 12:22 PM   #27
bc3tech
Master Member

2007 AURA XR

Another warning to those seeking aftermarket tint on the 03-04 ion. I just called the tint shop I went to (reputable place) and their warranty does NOT cover damage like this since nothing was wrong with the installation or tint itself. I'm going to make my dealership pay for the reinstall of tint. Make sure to get this TSB performed before you get your tint!
+rep always appreciated!

Old 05-10-2005, 04:37 PM   #28
jmettee
jmettee is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Quote:
I just called the tint shop I went to (reputable place) and their warranty does NOT cover damage like this since nothing was wrong with the installation or tint itself. I'm going to make my dealership pay for the reinstall of tint.
Good Luck! You'll have a difficult time. Nothing is wrong with a teflon window swipe. It's functionally fine. Tint is an aftermarket item. Dealer is not responsible for aftermatket items.

J
2003 SATURN Ion QC3m
"Giggity Giggity Goo" -Quagmire
Old 06-30-2005, 04:34 PM   #29
Juba310
Juba310 is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-1 Sedan
2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I know this is an old thread... but I thought I'd add to it.

I plan on getting my windows tinted soon, but having read this thread before I was a little weary. However, I went down and checked my windows and low and behold, they had felt on BOTH sides of the window rubber. I double checked both the drivers door and the rear left door, both had it. Looked just like in the picture on the first page, but on both sides of course.

The thing is, my car is a 2004 Ion1 Sedan... I would have though if even some of the '05 models dont have it, mine surely wouldnt. *shrug* anyway, its there...
Old 06-30-2005, 09:14 PM   #30
akalillynots
akalillynots is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-2 Sedan

OK I want to do mine soon. Probably have the money in the next few months...I just bought a brand new 05, do I need to get anything done?
~S~
Old 07-01-2005, 02:04 AM   #31
blackice5386
blackice5386 is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-1 Sedan

My 05 Ion already had the felt in it so if it's brand new you shouldnt have to do anything.
Old 07-01-2005, 01:37 PM   #32
Exalt
Exalt is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
If by "fix it" you mean they'd replace my windows, I would have no problem. However I highly doubt that would be what they'd do. They'd replace the seals and send me on my merry way with a ****ty tint job. Then I'd have to get that removed, which can rarely be done so that it looks decent, and then get tint re-applied for another $180 plus the cost of removal. I'd rather they research their applications before doing this, or fix it for free like they've agreed to do - so I'm happy now.
One could make the analogy to any other part of the car they knew would cause issues if you did something aftermarket to it. A part which could easily be replaced with something else to avoid the problem. Why leave it in? At least they learned the lesson and fixed it in the 05's
I have removed lots of tint on windows, (freinds are ricers or where freinds, ) Anyway the easyest way I have found is get a couple rasor blades and a hairdryer. after most the tint is removed you will still have a film of glue on the windows. (looks great too) Get some "Goo Gone" adhesive remover that stuff is amazing. use the razor and the goo gone and it will come right off.
2005 ION-2 Sedan...
2002 Olds Alero 3.4 V6...
"Everybody Wang-Chung Tonight!"
Old 07-20-2005, 11:30 PM   #33
blasterguy128

2004 ION-3 Quad Coupe
2003 VUE 2.2L

UPDATE: I went to the dealer today to have a few things looked at.

The main problem was my scratched tint.

Well guess what saturn's service has proved itself once again.

They put the felt on for no charge and they are replacing my front windows tint. Plus, they are allowing me to use my own guy who does a good job. Then I just bring them the receipt and I get reimbursed the full amount.

I'm satisfied.
Drive it like you stole it.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:47 PM   #34
Juba310

2004 ION-1 Sedan
2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

When you guys say you got scratces on the tint, how big / bad were they? I've noticed a few small scratches have sprung up on my tinted windows.... and I'm 99.999% sure I have the felt. The scratches are about hair-with, about an inch or two long. I only see two of them. This is with rolling my windows up and down repeated times.
Old 07-21-2005, 12:12 AM   #35
blasterguy128

2004 ION-3 Quad Coupe
2003 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juba310
When you guys say you got scratces on the tint, how big / bad were they? I've noticed a few small scratches have sprung up on my tinted windows.... and I'm 99.999% sure I have the felt. The scratches are about hair-with, about an inch or two long. I only see two of them. This is with rolling my windows up and down repeated times.

My scratches are much more noticable. There are about 20 to 30 scratches on each window and they are about 4-6 inches long. The width is about the thickness of a quarter.

Your scratches just may be wear overtime, how long have you had the tint?
Old 07-21-2005, 01:23 AM   #36
Juba310

2004 ION-1 Sedan
2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasterguy128
My scratches are much more noticable. There are about 20 to 30 scratches on each window and they are about 4-6 inches long. The width is about the thickness of a quarter.

Your scratches just may be wear overtime, how long have you had the tint?
Not very long... like two weeks. They dont bother me, they're really tiny and I only notice them if I actually go out of my way to. I'm just afraid as time goes on there will be more. If I had to guess, I would think its just some dirt that go trapped on the felt and maybe caused a little scratch.
Old 07-21-2005, 03:05 PM   #37
bc3tech
Master Member

2007 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasterguy128
They put the felt on for no charge and they are replacing my front windows tint. Plus, they are allowing me to use my own guy who does a good job. Then I just bring them the receipt and I get reimbursed the full amount. I'm satisfied.
Damn - What's the name of your dealer? I should have mine call you if they think they shouldn't be fixing stuff that their OEM parts break.... Mine flat out told me they wouldn't pay for the replacement tint. However, my tint is not as bad as you're describing yours.
Also, do you have the service plan or did they just do this under the factory warranty... I sprung for the service plan so if they continue to tell me 'no' it's super ridiculous!
+rep always appreciated!

Old 07-21-2005, 04:41 PM   #38
jmettee
jmettee is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Damn - What's the name of your dealer? I should have mine call you if they think they shouldn't be fixing stuff that their OEM parts break.... Mine flat out told me they wouldn't pay for the replacement tint. However, my tint is not as bad as you're describing yours.
Also, do you have the service plan or did they just do this under the factory warranty... I sprung for the service plan so if they continue to tell me 'no' it's super ridiculous!
Good luck, but I'll repeat.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmettee
Good Luck! You'll have a difficult time. Nothing is wrong with a teflon window swipe. It's functionally fine. Tint is an aftermarket item. Dealer is not responsible for aftermatket items.
2003 SATURN Ion QC3m
"Giggity Giggity Goo" -Quagmire
Old 07-22-2005, 10:23 AM   #39
blasterguy128

2004 ION-3 Quad Coupe
2003 VUE 2.2L

The dealership I went to was Saturn of West Broward. I tend to have a way with words that make people give me what I want. Of course the guy didn't want to do it and tried to give me reasons why he shouldn't, but I gave him more reasons why he was going to.

He had to call saturns corporate service center to get authorization and then I was all taken care of.
Closed Thread