SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 05-22-2020, 09:47 PM   #21
Zeebins
Zeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to behold

1997 SL2
Default Re: What the !%&*@ is going on here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerheardt View Post
Now Doug DeMuro came out with bad comments about the Saturn. Will i have to do a car review channel to say things as they are or what?

This video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PX4fFUwD7tk

Saturn parts being at 9:32 and 14:24 for those who'd like to hear bull$h!t.

"It's clean" Ever seen a rusty Saturn in a very nice climate area, Doug?
Doug has actually said a lot of good things about the S-Series on his Auto Trader column. He does seem to like the car, he just doesn't seem aware of how reliable they are.

Plus he is right, Not a whole lot of nice 1st gens on the road anymore.
97 SL2, auto, 119K miles
Zeebins is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-2020, 01:12 AM   #22
Gerheardt
Gerheardt is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2

Oh, i wasn't aware of all that...

In my small town, there is 3 more Gen 1 and they're all clean. It just varies depending of the area i guess
1995 Automatic Saturn SL2 309 000kms *NOW MANUAL*
2020 Automatic AWD Hyundai Kona 1600kms
Gerheardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 10:41 AM   #23
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nice

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

I just did an Edmunds on mine.
Leather steering wheel added $1, but the Regional Adjustment removed $1
No matter how shiny my wheels are, the PrivateParty value is less than $2k
Maybe the appraisal app developer knows my car rides like ***** on the high-pressure Eco-Tyres...that will be given away free if I am ever able to find suitable replacements.
Competition Clutch 10Lb. Flywheel. 14 stalls to date (and loving it).
Oil use is 1 ounce per 100 miles with ~230,000 miles on the engine
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 12:37 PM   #24
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Autotrader for NY has a '02 SC2 w/82k miles for $3295. A '02 SL2 w/74k miles - call for price.
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 01:41 PM   #25
onlinebiker
onlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Autotrader for NY has a '02 SC2 w/82k miles for $3295. A '02 SL2 w/74k miles - call for price.
I have a 97 SL2 that's quite rust free with 75k on it - I would be deliriously happy if some moron gave me 3 grand for it.....
93 SC2
96 SC2
97 SL2
99 SC2
01 SC2 x 2 yellow
02 SC2
02 SL2
parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2
98 SC2 - rusty frame minus engine.
onlinebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 02:18 PM   #26
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I know I'm missing out why vehicle prices are (artificially?) high. I think someone more knowledgeable may be able to explain higher(?) used car prices while the US economy is at a near standstill with 33 million out of work. How can anyone with bills and out of work afford to buy a new or used car?

I didn't attend economics 101...........
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 03:49 PM   #27
Goggles Pisano
Goggles Pisano is on a distinguished road

1999 SL1

I'm just waiting for Cash for Clunkers 2: Electric Boogaloo to be enacted to try and kickstart near-moribund new car sales at the expense of perfectly functioning used cars.
Goggles Pisano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 08:44 PM   #28
onlinebiker
onlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
I know I'm missing out why vehicle prices are (artificially?) high. I think someone more knowledgeable may be able to explain higher(?) used car prices while the US economy is at a near standstill with 33 million out of work. How can anyone with bills and out of work afford to buy a new or used car?

I didn't attend economics 101...........

Some of you may have noticed - I buy a car from time to time.

And - I live on a fixed income.

How?

By buying when prices are low.

It's really that simple.

It's a matter of patience and will - to put a stash of cash together - and sit on it till the right deal comes along.
93 SC2
96 SC2
97 SL2
99 SC2
01 SC2 x 2 yellow
02 SC2
02 SL2
parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2
Old 05-24-2020, 09:00 PM   #29
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

I don't think I've seen a reasonably priced 1st or 2nd gen S-Series (reasonable for the condition/age) in 4+ years. The 3rd gens I've seen were reasonable for the condition & age...but they're 3rd gens.
Not sure what the rest of the countries excuse is but ours is they get 35-45mpg with very little effort and we have to average 15k miles a year because you can't get there from here.
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 08:54 PM   #30
MetallicWheat
MetallicWheat is on a distinguished road

1995 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerheardt View Post
Now Doug DeMuro came out with bad comments about the Saturn. Will i have to do a car review channel to say things as they are or what? "It's clean" Ever seen a rusty Saturn in a very nice climate area, Doug?
I really didn't like that video. But I guess its good enough for Doug's audience of civic fanboys.

But going back to the original topic of this thread I did find these to help OP's point.
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...16353945612027
This one is in a pretty redneck dominated area so is to be expected. 1500 would be a great deal for a semi-clean SC2 with half the miles...and real alloy wheels ;p
https://www.carsforsale.com/vehicle/details/65076499
This actually is a pretty nice SL1. But 5k does seem a bit steep.

Recently I did find a 1st gen SL1 and SW1 that had served the unfortunate role of "mud toy" to some mouthbreather. However, I seemed to have lost it. Maybe I'll make a thread dedicated to all the poor plastic hero's .
SaveTheSaturns!

1995 SW2 - 81k - Auto

Last edited by MetallicWheat; 05-26-2020 at 09:03 PM.
MetallicWheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 06:03 AM   #31
onlinebiker

Our 93 sc2 looks like the first one - same color -but ours is in much better shape and is rust free.

4 grand is a lot for a twin cam - let alone a single...

I am currently trying to sell a 92 SC2 that is in good shape - with a new subframe and fresh rebuilt engine. Maybe 10 miles on the engine.

I would be happy to get half of 4 grand.

It's priced well under that.

I suspect the reason it hasn't sold is that DMV here is still closed due the C19 - so you can't transfer a title right now...
93 SC2
96 SC2
97 SL2
99 SC2
01 SC2 x 2 yellow
02 SC2
02 SL2
parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2
Old 05-27-2020, 11:35 AM   #32
MetallicWheat
MetallicWheat is on a distinguished road

1995 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlinebiker View Post

I am currently trying to sell a 92 SC2 that is in good shape - with a new subframe and fresh rebuilt engine. Maybe 10 miles on the engine.
I would be happy to get half of 4 grand.
Oh, nice! I would love a 1st gen SC2 but I don't even have 1500 ;p. I hope it goes to a good home! I was thinking of trying to offer $300 for the first SC2 without getting...shot...
SaveTheSaturns!

1995 SW2 - 81k - Auto
MetallicWheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 08:26 PM   #33
onlinebiker

Necropost.....

The 92 SC went a couple weeks ago. $1350.

Prices do seem to be going up on SC2s at least.

We just sold our 97 SC2 (purple. manual. No roof leak)

Resonable condition.. 188k miles 50k on full rebuild.

Had $850 into it.

Sold for asking price (no dickering). $1500.

And drove it 4 years....(no breakdowns at all)

Try getting that kinda return on a new Toyota....

93 SC2
96 SC2
97 SL2
99 SC2
01 SC2 x 2 yellow
02 SC2
02 SL2
parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2

Last edited by onlinebiker; 06-26-2020 at 08:32 PM.
Old 06-26-2020, 08:56 PM   #34
dummo
Master Member
dummo is a name known to alldummo is a name known to alldummo is a name known to alldummo is a name known to alldummo is a name known to alldummo is a name known to all

1997 SW2

I truly believe that the market has bottomed out and these car’s are going to only increase in value. How much cheaper can a running automobile go?
• 1997 SW2 used 12/29/2011 with 124,200 -27 mpg
• 2004 Ion3 new 11/2003 (totaled) 11/2011 -23 mpg
• 1994 SL1 new traded
• 1992 SL2 new traded for above
* 1986 Yamaha ce50 Jog -100 mpg
dummo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 05:30 AM   #35
Mister_Cee
Mister_Cee is a jewel in the roughMister_Cee is a jewel in the roughMister_Cee is a jewel in the rough

1996 SW2

"I have a 97 SL2 that's quite rust free with 75k on it - I would be deliriously happy if some moron gave me 3 grand for it....."

Mine's a 96 SW2 manual and always carported or garaged in the southwest where it's dry, so no rust with just shy of 150,000.

I'd be ecstatic to get some reasonable price for it as opposed to what a car dealership would offer in trade.
Mister_Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 07:42 AM   #36
onlinebiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_Cee View Post
"I have a 97 SL2 that's quite rust free with 75k on it - I would be deliriously happy if some moron gave me 3 grand for it....."

Mine's a 96 SW2 manual and always carported or garaged in the southwest where it's dry, so no rust with just shy of 150,000.

I'd be ecstatic to get some reasonable price for it as opposed to what a car dealership would offer in trade.
I sold our 93 SW2 a couple years ago to a friend for $2500. But it was totally rust free with near museum quality paint and interior.(I paid $400 for it. -with no oil pressure - which I fixed)

It's his DD and he loves it. He did have to replace a starter a few months ago. But other than that - trouble free.
93 SC2
96 SC2
97 SL2
99 SC2
01 SC2 x 2 yellow
02 SC2
02 SL2
parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2