SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 05-16-2020, 08:43 PM   #6541
Zeebins
Zeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to behold

1997 SL2
Default Re: What did you do to your S-Series today...

Posted in the wrong thread previously

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebins View Post
Put in a new ignition ring

97 SL2, auto, 119K miles
Zeebins is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-2020, 11:02 PM   #6542
Hiisi
Hiisi is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiex191 View Post
I drove it to LKQ. Felt good to drive. Didn't realize the center brake light or the inside mirror cover was different on the coupe so I struck out there. Does anybody else feel bad leaving a car like this?
Can I please get that aluminum valve cover next time you visit the place?
Hiisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 11:05 PM   #6543
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is just really niceWaiex191 is just really niceWaiex191 is just really niceWaiex191 is just really nice

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

I took it off and bought it. Not quite ready to let it go yet.
Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 11:06 PM   #6544
Hiisi
Hiisi is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

Today I took Mr. Rusty to the wheel alignment procedure. I've been working on the car for a few weeks replacing all the suspension. They told me in the garage that the rear k-member is in misalignment. I was trying to put it back the way it used to be but apparently missed by 1.5 degrees. I will fix it and bring the car again for the procedure!
Hiisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 10:13 PM   #6545
Zeebins
Zeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to behold

1997 SL2

Got a new radiator in today. There have been a few batches of fully aluminum radiators on Ebay now and I bought one from most recent one. There isn't actually anything wrong with my current one, although I did break the petcock trying to drain it before removal. It's also original, I'm amazed it hasn't cracked yet.

I also got new transmission cooler lines since the old ones rusted to the old radiator.

The coolant reservoir and transmission temp sensor where also replaced. There wasn't anything wrong with either of them, but they both look much nicer now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg New Parts.jpg (158.3 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg OEM Date.jpg (141.7 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Transmission Temp Sensor.jpg (154.5 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Coolant Reservoir Before and After.jpg (123.9 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Coolant Tank Behind After.jpg (149.9 KB, 16 views)
97 SL2, auto, 119K miles
Old 05-22-2020, 11:09 PM   #6546
454cid
Advanced Member
454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough

After letting my car sit for 2 weeks or so, with the no rear wheels, brakes, hubs etc, I finally started working on it again. The first thing I did was install the anti-sway bar links.... this will be my first experience driving with them connected.... the parts that I assume to be original were snapped before I owned the car. I had gotten some Moog Problem Solver links on Rockauto for next to nothing. I also put the backing plate on, with the hubs (I do need the torque specs if someone has them).

I also discovered that I need some metric flare wrenches, for the brake lines.... will be buying those tomorrow. I've been soaking the lines/fittings with PB Blaster, but I think it's going to be a fight. I may end up having to re-flare the the lines.

I also started it up today, since it hasn't been started for awhile.
2000 SL2 Automatic (back on the road) 17X,XXX miles.
1999 Chevy K3500
454cid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 11:16 PM   #6547
Zeebins

1997 SL2

Today I put in the fifth Wiper motor in the last 3 years.

All of a sudden yesterday, the washer fluid stopped working and the wipers would move really slowly. After a few slow wipes, it would blow the wiper fuse. I took it apart to today to see if the linkage was binding on anything, but the linkage moved freely once separated from the motor. Turns out, the motor was almost completely seized. Turning the motor on without the linkage attached was still slow and the moment I turned the speed to low it blew another fuse. Normally, the motor will draw more power the more torque that's being put on it. To much torque means too much power draw which would lead to the blown fuse.

It was annoying that I now have another dead motor, but I did buy one with lifetime warranty last time I had to replace it. I should have gotten another one for free, but Advanced Auto kinda screwed me over. When I brought in the broken motor, the employee helping me accidentally refunded me what I originally paid, rather than replacing it. No big deal I thought at first, except the store I went to didn't have any in stock. There was another about 10 minutes away that did have one, so I was advised to go there instead. This is where the problem really starts. Because The first store I went to already refunded me, they kept the old motor. When I went to pick up the new one, it was still the same price as last time, so my refund should have covered it. At some point between last December and now though they added a core charge. I had a feeling this would happen and because the first store wouldn't let me keep the old motor, I had to spend an extra $25 than what I should of had to due to no longer having a core to return.

I've honestly had it with wiper motors failing on this car. I can almost guarantee at this point that this one wont last more than 6 months either. This one did come with another life time warranty, but if it fails again I'm not going to try and get it replaced by them again. I'll probably just get another motor from Rock Auto that has a lifetime warranty as I've never had any problems with them exchanging parts before.

Or maybe I'll just duck tape a squeegee to a stick and call it a day. At least that would be more reliable.

The washer fluid is also still not working, so that's great
97 SL2, auto, 119K miles
Old 05-29-2020, 07:44 AM   #6548
454cid
Advanced Member
454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
This is where the problem really starts. Because The first store I went to already refunded me, they kept the old motor. When I went to pick up the new one, it was still the same price as last time, so my refund should have covered it. At some point between last December and now though they added a core charge. I had a feeling this would happen and because the first store wouldn't let me keep the old motor, I had to spend an extra $25 than what I should of had to due to no longer having a core to return.
Why didn't you have them call the first store? ...or did you mention it, and they didn't care?
2000 SL2 Automatic (back on the road) 17X,XXX miles.
1999 Chevy K3500
454cid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 11:15 AM   #6549
Zeebins

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454cid View Post
Why didn't you have them call the first store? ...or did you mention it, and they didn't care?
I did mention it, and he did call the other store but only to make sure they actually had it in stock for when I got there. He just said to order it online so I get the 20% off discount to “cover” the core. Which didn’t click until I left how that wasn’t going to cover it since I also got the 20% discount last time with no core charge.

There was definitely some miss communication between stores about why I was going there. To be fair though, It’s my fault for not mentioning that I would end up paying more but that didn’t really click until was already gone.
97 SL2, auto, 119K miles

Last edited by Zeebins; 05-29-2020 at 11:25 AM.
Old 05-30-2020, 03:59 PM   #6550
PrestonIII
PrestonIII is a jewel in the roughPrestonIII is a jewel in the roughPrestonIII is a jewel in the rough

1994 SL2
1994 SL2

I think that a junk yard wiper motor might be a good try! Many of us have cars that are over 20 years old with the original wiper motor still functioning.

It couldn't be any worse than the 6 months you expect from a "new" one.

Preston
PrestonIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 05:06 PM   #6551
Zeebins

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestonIII View Post
I think that a junk yard wiper motor might be a good try! Many of us have cars that are over 20 years old with the original wiper motor still functioning.

It couldn't be any worse than the 6 months you expect from a "new" one.

Preston
I may try junkyard again. I did for motor #3 but it died after about a year, so you are technically right about it not being worse, but still not the most ideal.

There are a few Saturns in the year range I would need so maybe I'll just try and grab all of them for cheap. I can get one out in about 10 minutes now, lol
97 SL2, auto, 119K miles

Last edited by Zeebins; 05-30-2020 at 05:12 PM.
Old 05-31-2020, 07:55 AM   #6552
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Yesterday, pulled the rear seat bottom to clean out underneath. Lots of dog hair from previous owner. Found a small socket, 7 or 8mm (not sure if PO's or one of mine that I lost). Also found a zip tie, rusty utility knife blade, cigarette butt, and a spray nozzle. Seat bottom legot lots of Lexol, center console got Aerospace 303, looks very clean back there now Rear console was missing the stock liners so I will make some up with posterboard and felt, maybe rubber shelf liner.

About a week ago, when I closed my trunk after shopping, I heard plastic hitting the ground. Looked around, found the clear plastic cover for one of my license plate lights on the ground. A circle of plastic had broken around both screws.

Cleaned up the interior housing and stuck in pieces of shiny aluminum tape (to try and increase light coming out). Found some decent sized washers iin a box and used that plus original screws to remount the plastic.
I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 03:12 PM   #6553
Zeebins

1997 SL2

Finally found a used air dam to replace the missing one. No idea how long itís been gone for. It hasnít been there since Iíve had the car. I sanded down the rough spots and frayed edges and gave it two coats of rubberized undercoating. I noticed it scrapes on my driveway so hopefully it holds up. I also replaced the rusty springs it came with.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0DE181E4-560A-4501-BB03-EC03B65EAF22.jpg (121.9 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 8599DA66-6953-493D-A5D8-AF8ED762D77C.jpg (152.1 KB, 15 views)
97 SL2, auto, 119K miles
Old 06-02-2020, 10:42 PM   #6554
Goggles Pisano
Goggles Pisano is on a distinguished road

1999 SL1

Where did you find replacement springs?
Goggles Pisano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 04:32 PM   #6555
Kaervak
Kaervak has a spectacular aura aboutKaervak has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2

Not today, but a couple days ago. Replaced the leaking AC low pressure side schrader vale and replaced the high side as well. Then vacuumed the system, recharged with dye and PAG oil added and the AC is working very well and leak free.
Kaervak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 09:47 PM   #6556
Zeebins

1997 SL2

Got a new windshield put in this afternoon. The old one started cracking last November and has slowly been getting worse since. Last week I figured I should finally get it replaced soon due to how big it was getting.

The new windshield looks almost exactly like the old one. I think it was the original but Iím not 100% sure. It does seem to have a little more tinting at the top. I went through safelite to get the new windshield and I donít notice anything wrong from the outside. The guy installing it did get some of the adhesive on the passenger side trim but, that was the only thing wrong I could find. Once the sun started going down I gave it a coat of wax to help protect it. It should also help with cleaning off all the pollen there has been lately.
97 SL2, auto, 119K miles
Old 06-12-2020, 03:32 PM   #6557
ErikTande
ErikTande is a jewel in the roughErikTande is a jewel in the roughErikTande is a jewel in the roughErikTande is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Got a new windshield put in this afternoon. The old one started cracking last November and has slowly been getting worse since. Last week I figured I should finally get it replaced soon due to how big it was getting.

The new windshield looks almost exactly like the old one. I think it was the original but Iím not 100% sure. It does seem to have a little more tinting at the top. I went through safelite to get the new windshield and I donít notice anything wrong from the outside. The guy installing it did get some of the adhesive on the passenger side trim but, that was the only thing wrong I could find. Once the sun started going down I gave it a coat of wax to help protect it. It should also help with cleaning off all the pollen there has been lately.
Nice! I need to get mine done.
http://www.youtube.com/velocitylabs
ErikTande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 08:02 PM   #6558
jpags729
jpags729 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

Was working with dad on replacing my control arms and discovered some rust right underneath on the driver's side. Not sure if this could be repaired or need a whole new subframe??? Also found out that the split type bushing replacement didn't help with noise, and that the stabilizer bar where it connects to the control arm is very worn, so I am looking at junkyards for a replacement. As the virus has kinda shut things down here, can anyone recommend online parts sellers like LKQ? Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200616_141733_resized_1.jpg (163.9 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 20200616_141742_resized_1.jpg (184.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 20200616_141757_resized_1.jpg (170.8 KB, 10 views)
Current:
1999 Saturn SL2 1.9 "Sophia Loren 2"
2008 Honda Accord EX-L 2.4
1993 Chevy Camaro Z28 5.7

Previous:
2007 Chevy Malibu LS 2.2
2003 Nissan Altima SE 3.5
jpags729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 12:32 PM   #6559
Zeebins

1997 SL2

The rust itself doesn’t look too concerning, but that split/hole in the metal under the control arm does. Depending on how easy that is to bend by hand, that subframe may be toast
97 SL2, auto, 119K miles
Old 06-20-2020, 07:14 PM   #6560
Zeebins

1997 SL2

I’ve wanted a net in the trunk for a while now but I’ve never been able to find a factory SL/SC net in the junkyard or online. Even if I could find one it probably wouldn’t be very good anymore due to age. I was looking on amazon to see if I could find anything that might work. I ended up getting a generic 35” net. Since there aren’t really anything to attach to, I bought some generic hooks as well. I removed the stud and filled it in with JB weld to make a flat surface. The hook was then JB welded to the body of the car. It holds on well too once dry. You can grab one of the hooks and shake the hole car with it if you try hard enough. It’s nice to finally not have things rolling around back there while driving.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D0EECDA1-0915-41B6-830F-B383AEF2AE8B.jpg (145.1 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 53BB378D-466E-4C45-8F98-1B0B430B4A14.jpg (140.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg AD386FBE-F421-4C97-A9A1-8B3220E51D2F.jpg (148.0 KB, 10 views)
97 SL2, auto, 119K miles