SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 05-14-2020, 09:44 AM   #1
Ccrussell
Ccrussell has a spectacular aura aboutCcrussell has a spectacular aura aboutCcrussell has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL1
1999 SC2
Default 98 sc2 windshield glass

Hi
I am looking to get the windshield replaced on my 98.
I have now been told twice that it is unavailable.
Will need to be replaced as the state inspection is coming due next month. How can this be that it is unavailable?
Ccrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2020, 10:07 AM   #2
macbox
macbox will become famous soon enough

1995 SC2
1997 SC2
Default Re: 98 sc2 windshield glass

I would also ask them if an aftermarket is available in case you haven't, they are 22 years old. I just checked gmpartsgiant to grab the part numbers, and ran those numbers through partsvoice.com, and no stock is available.

They are available used.
http://www.car-part.com will find a parts recycler that has one.
"The Twins"
#4, "Betty" 1995 SC2m, 163K, 400 Miles per quart. Garage queen. Currently in 1000 pieces for a rebuild.
#7 "Betsy" 1995 SC2, 131K, daily driver.
macbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 11:24 AM   #3
focusofheart
focusofheart is a jewel in the roughfocusofheart is a jewel in the roughfocusofheart is a jewel in the roughfocusofheart is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccrussell View Post
Hi
I am looking to get the windshield replaced on my 98.
I have now been told twice that it is unavailable.
Will need to be replaced as the state inspection is coming due next month. How can this be that it is unavailable?
New aftermarket windshields are available through auto glass companies. I recently had my front windshield and the rear window rubber seal replaced on my 98SL2.

I would bypass used and go somewhere like https://www.safelite.com/ to get an estimate. I used a local company and they came to my home to do the work.
Saturn 1998 - SL2 automatic
Singer 1952 - 301A knee driven
focusofheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 01:05 PM   #4
onlinebiker
onlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of light

I got one installed last summer for about $180.
93 SC2
96 SC2
97 SL2
99 SC2
01 SC2 x 2 yellow
02 SC2
02 SL2
parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2
98 SC2 - rusty frame minus engine.
onlinebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 01:09 PM   #5
hholbein
hholbein will become famous soon enoughhholbein will become famous soon enough

1997 SW2

I got a Fuyao windshield replacement last year from a local supplier. Was <$200 installed and fit was good.

Made in Ohio by a Chinese transplant company after US suppliers beat cleats to Mexico.
hholbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 07:07 PM   #6
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nice

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hholbein View Post
I got a Fuyao windshield replacement last year from a local supplier. Was <$200 installed and fit was good.

Made in Ohio by a Chinese transplant company after US suppliers beat cleats to Mexico.
Does Fuyao have a warehouse where I could get a windshield loaded into the back of my pick-up? Does anyone sell windshields directly to the public?
Competition Clutch 10Lb. Flywheel. 14 stalls to date (and loving it).
Oil use is 1 ounce per 100 miles with ~230,000 miles on the engine
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 07:22 PM   #7
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1

Where do you live?
Here are the 4 places on their website.
https://fuyaousa.com/oem-glass/

909 N. Sheldon Road
Plymouth, MI 48170

110 Milacron Drive.
Fountain Inn, SC 29644

800 Fuyao Ave.
Moraine, OH 45439

2768 E. Elwin Rd.
Decatur, IL 62521

toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 07:47 PM   #8
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nice

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Plymoth, MI is the closest. Reading their website, it seems they do not deal directly with the consumer who wants to buy one piece of glass...which is fine...
I will need to check my records from the last windshield I bought.
Old 05-14-2020, 08:49 PM   #9
454cid
Advanced Member
454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by toggenburg View Post
Where do you live?
Here are the 4 places on their website.
https://fuyaousa.com/oem-glass/

909 N. Sheldon Road
Plymouth, MI 48170

110 Milacron Drive.
Fountain Inn, SC 29644

800 Fuyao Ave.
Moraine, OH 45439

2768 E. Elwin Rd.
Decatur, IL 62521

I beleive those are actually their facilities. They're not likely to sell directly to a consumer. Probably the best bet would be to send the corporate office an email and ask them for a nearby dealer.
2000 SL2 Automatic (back on the road) 17X,XXX miles.
1999 Chevy K3500
454cid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 10:57 AM   #10
bumpdraft
Master Member

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454cid View Post
I beleive those are actually their facilities. They're not likely to sell directly to a consumer. Probably the best bet would be to send the corporate office an email and ask them for a nearby dealer.
I’m sure they’ll have retail outlets in the future. Once this virus softens-up the price of realestate, they’ll be able to expand. They’re even positioned to grab a share of the social-distancing protective-glass and plastic shields that will be required everywhere!
Old 05-15-2020, 05:29 PM   #11
Mister_Cee
Mister_Cee is a jewel in the roughMister_Cee is a jewel in the roughMister_Cee is a jewel in the rough

1996 SW2

Not a 98 SC2 but I had my 1996 SW2 windshield replaced last summer. Installer came out to the house and did it here. I think I paid only the insurance comprehensive deductible but the total, without insurance, (if I'm remembering correctly), would have been < $200.
Mister_Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 05:39 PM   #12
onlinebiker
onlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_Cee View Post
Not a 98 SC2 but I had my 1996 SW2 windshield replaced last summer. Installer came out to the house and did it here. I think I paid only the insurance comprehensive deductible but the total, without insurance, (if I'm remembering correctly), would have been < $200.
Be glad you are not replacing a 96 (or earlier) SC2 windshield...

That's not a cheap date....
93 SC2
96 SC2
97 SL2
99 SC2
01 SC2 x 2 yellow
02 SC2
02 SL2
parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2
98 SC2 - rusty frame minus engine.
onlinebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 09:34 PM   #13
Ccrussell
Ccrussell has a spectacular aura aboutCcrussell has a spectacular aura aboutCcrussell has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL1
1999 SC2

Found a supplier,
Safelite in my town. Not cheap, but no run around either. Coming Saturday to do it here in the driveway.
Question I have is if safelite found this window in seconds, how is it no other installer could have found it also? Curious.
Old 05-16-2020, 12:45 PM   #14
bumpdraft
Master Member

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccrussell View Post
Found a supplier,
Safelite in my town. Not cheap, but no run around either. Coming Saturday to do it here in the driveway.
Question I have is if safelite found this window in seconds, how is it no other installer could have found it also? Curious.
Be sure to give us some before and after pictures.
Pay special attention to the blending at the roof line, the top weatherstrip and the fit of the plastic trim (cowl intake panel) at the bottom of the windshield. Inside, how well does the dash upper trim panel fit? Also, did they damage the roof drip line trim or remove the gloss finish with acetone? Did the glass removal tool cut into the headliner?
Old 05-16-2020, 10:01 PM   #15
Mister_Cee
Mister_Cee is a jewel in the roughMister_Cee is a jewel in the roughMister_Cee is a jewel in the rough

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlinebiker View Post
Be glad you are not replacing a 96 (or earlier) SC2 windshield...

That's not a cheap date....
Oh my! Just looked it up and they are "spendy", aren't they?

Seems as if, when I had the front window changed out, I was curious at how much (or even availability of) rear lift gate glass...if it should ever need replacement. If I recall, the price I found on that was rather steep, as well.

Here's to keeping comprehensive insurance on my car , even though it's almost 25 years old !!
Mister_Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 03:37 AM   #16
Ccrussell

1999 SL1
1999 SC2

Hi,
Sorry, I did not take any pictures. I was pre occupied with another task while the installer was doing the job. Young guy, very nice representative for safelite..
New glass has a dark tint on the top, which was a nice free upgrade.( nothing is free) lol.
Headliner was not damaged, but will need attention in the future. ( got part of a roll of sky blue remaining in the garage from when I did the sl1.)Way cheerier than the factory grey.
This was not a cheap windshield , of course no glass insurance. Thanks Focus of heart for the coupon.
The Saturns continue to serve and be fun, so occasionally being spendy is still cheaper than a monthly car payment.
Old 05-18-2020, 01:02 PM   #17
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

I've had mechanics say *part* is NLA because the only supplier they're willing to work with doesn't stock it (they only worked with, I believe Fisher Auto Parts). Then I either find it myself at another equally popular supplier or have to goto another mechanic with more options and presto the part is available.

From the S-Series I moved mostly onto Subaru's and it's crazy with pricing...nearly everything the aftermarket makes is lower quality and more expensive than the dealer! (not that the dealer parts are high quality but OMG does the *normal* aftermarket suck at making Subaru parts)

I wouldn't know where to start to look up glass price's other than getting quotes from places like Safelite and Portland Glass.
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 06:05 PM   #18
bumpdraft
Master Member

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

AllRighty, then.
Glass from windshields to go dot com
I was able to get glass for $174 + 80 miles of driving.
Three tubules of 3M WindoWeld and 30ml of 3M glass primer for a total of $96
That is a total of $270 for materials only.
I probably will not need the third tube of WindoWeld, but if I do...

Now, all I need to do is remove the hood, front wheels, fender liners, front fenders, the seats, dash top and the headliner. Then, the existing glass

“I can install that glass with one tube of glue, piano wire and with the car driving down the expressway with the wipers running in the rain”
~Everyone Else on the Amazing Internet, probably~
Old 06-22-2020, 07:08 PM   #19
hholbein
hholbein will become famous soon enoughhholbein will become famous soon enough

1997 SW2

I checked Yelp and got bids for doing the job in front of my house. ~$200 with labor and materials/Fuyao glass, no insurance.

Where are you located?
hholbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 11:04 PM   #20
bumpdraft
Master Member

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hholbein View Post
I checked Yelp and got bids for doing the job in front of my house. ~$200 with labor and materials/Fuyao glass, no insurance.

Where are you located?
Michigan
Your quoted price is very good.

These are things I look for:

Make sure the installer is careful with the roof drip trim that runs from the trunk lid to the bottom of the windshield. It can not be removed, only loosened and sprung out of the way. It needs to be wrapped with plastic wrap. Any adhesive that gets onto it will have to be removed with something harsh enough to ruin the finish.

Careful that the installer gets the plastic trim piece at the bottom of the windshield (air intake cowl) at the correct height so that the wipers are able to shove any snow and slush over the transition between the glass and the plastic.

Inside the car, pay attention to the fit of the rubber trim at the front of the dash top.

The windshield glass should be completely perfectly flush with the roof. If not, the rubber trim will gap. You will need weights to hold the top of the windshield down until the urethane sets. The urethane is smashed thin at the top of the windshield.

Use small pieces of aluminum angle to make “stops” to locate the windshield in the vertical and horizontal. Use sheetmetal screws to attach the angles to the metal car. Later, the holes can be covered with urethane.

To get the correct thickness of urethane, make small shims cut from a Bondo spreader. Do a few trial fits. Once you get the perfect fit, at the bottom of the windshield, screw the shim stacks to the sheetmetal. On the sides, mark the shim’s location and tape them in place. After the urethane sets, pull the shims and smear urethane into the voids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpdraft View Post
...Now, all I need to do is remove the hood, front wheels, fender liners, front fenders, the seats, dash top and the headliner. Then, the existing glass
EDIT: I also removed the rocker panel covers, front facia, air intake cowl & wiper arms...and the wiper motor assembly to get it out of the way and to grease it.